SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 failure to fire - No fix from SIG
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 failure to fire - No fix from SIG Login/Join 
posted
You may recall I posted a poll about my P320 that can experience a dead trigger, where the sear does not reset. Yeah, I know, another "double-click" post, except I get failures because of it.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...660094524#1660094524

Well, following the overwhelming response that it's not okay, even though it only happens during deliberate slow fire, I took it to the range again and video'd my experiences.

You can watch that video here: https://youtu.be/kPfzvIswywY

With the video made, I called SIG again and gave them the link. They had their gunsmith watch it and agreed to bring it back in. I asked that they either make a repair or replace the FCU. Well, they just called and said that it only happens with "severe manipulation" of the trigger, the smith could only get it to fail once, everything is within spec and that it's working as designed.

They are offering me either to get the pistol back as-is, or move into a classic line with an upcharge. As I already have the P226/228/229/230/SP2022, I will probably just get the pistol back, sell it and get into a 509 or CZ P10C or APX. I'm not happy, because I shoot that P320 lights out. I really like it. Really wish they would just replace the FCU with another.

Before I email them back my decision, what would you do?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems the FCU swap is the simplest and easiest way to resolve the issue. I would push that with Sig.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
What does "severe manipulation of the trigger" mean?
Did they specify exactly what that is?
I'm not intending and sarcasm here, I would genuinely like to know.

If it failed once, in their testing, shouldn't that be grounds for a replacement?

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
What does "severe manipulation of the trigger" mean?
Did they specify exactly what that is?
I'm not intending and sarcasm here, I would genuinely like to know.

If it failed once, in their testing, shouldn't that be grounds for a replacement?

Well, I spoke with the CS agent not the smith, but he indicated manipulation with the first knuckle (which I do since I shoot DA/SA mostly and have large hands) may be a cause. He said it may push the trigger to the side (?). I don't see how that has anything to do with not hitting the sear reset. This is why they suggest the classic SIG line, it's more suited to the amount of trigger finger I use.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
That's BS, I'd ask for his supervisor...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would a larger grip help? Just a thought.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
"Severe manipulation"?

Bullshit.

That FCU is defective or the design is.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd demand a replacement or fix at their cost personally. Be polite and respectful but firm and request managers until someone can fix it for you or give a reasonable explanation as to why it will not be fixed.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Would a larger grip help? Just a thought.

I got a large carry with rubberized Talons over it. Only way to get bigger is a sleeve, which I don't like (had one a long time ago that slid down all the time).

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really wish they would just replace the FCU with another.

If that's what you want, push for that, ask to talk with supervisor, then his supervisor.

quote:
smith could only get it to fail once

Once is enough that I'd be done with it.

I'd take the credit if they can't fix it or won't replace FCU. If you are honest when selling it you have a $200.00 gun to sell at best.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
Get the APX! Awesome gun! Built and engineered very well.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Since they got it to fail once, it is a failed product. Under no circumstances would anyone in their right mind carry this pistol in a defense situation.

I guess by them not wanting to replace the gun or the FCU and suggesting a P series replacement, they are implying this is normal for a P320 if you have large hands and shoot at a finger joint. If that is so, it should be clearly stated in their advertising and in the user manual.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
A single failure could the time you needed it to work and you get killed.

That is Taurus quality.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Not acceptable!

It failed, what else needs to be address?

Sig needs to correct the problem.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Get a full refund from SIG.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
That looks exactly like the failure I had with my P320 shortly after I got it (Jan. 2015).
I have medium sized hands with slightly long fingers and find the small grip module works best so I don't buy the trigger manipulation excuse.

Let me ask; If you press down on the back of the slide while dry firing does it significantly reduce the double click?

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This issue may come back to haunt them if they don't take it seriously, and fix whatever design problem is causing this.

I would not want to be a a firearms manufacturer that is known for a problem like this. It would be much easier to fix it now. instead of fixing later and having a tarnished reputation.

Posts: 12678 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prince Herman
posted Hide Post
I just ran 1,000 rounds through a P320 in two days with no issues, whatsoever. I have watched your video and IMHO I believe it is operator error. Since this is a semi-automatic pistol, one way or the other, the operator has to get-off the trigger in order for the trigger to reset. For whatever reason (or perhaps for some advantage that you presuppose exists), you are decidedly playing with the trigger reset. I can only guess that you are trying to "shorten" the reset time. It is happening with your deliberate, slow-motion trigger manipulation because, frankly, you can't do it with a normal manipulation of the trigger. That is what Sig means by "severe manipulation".

Posts: 512 | Location: S.E. Pa. | Registered: October 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paging Bruce Gray ... I would send it to GGI for evaluation. If all else fails I would get Phil Strader's eMail and push the issue at that level with Sig. ANY failure is unacceptable.

Posts: 59 | Location: Fairfax, VA 5min to NRAHQ | Registered: August 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prince Herman:
I just ran 1,000 rounds through a P320 in two days with no issues, whatsoever. I have watched your video and IMHO I believe it is operator error. Since this is a semi-automatic pistol, one way or the other, the operator has to get-off the trigger in order for the trigger to reset. For whatever reason (or perhaps for some advantage that you presuppose exists), you are decidedly playing with the trigger reset. I can only guess that you are trying to "shorten" the reset time. It is happening with your deliberate, slow-motion trigger manipulation because, frankly, you can't do it with a normal manipulation of the trigger. That is what Sig means by "severe manipulation".

I understand your skepticism. However, this isn't a failure to reset the trigger, or short stroking. On the P320, there's two things that occur when the trigger is pulled. The first is the striker is released. The second is the sear is reset. There is a gap between these two things happening. It appears the gap on mine is quite pronounced. So during careful, deliberate work (20+ yards), where I am applying gradually increasing pressure until the shot breaks, sometimes the trigger isn't pulled all the way back past the sear reset point. When the pistol cycles, the sear isn't reset to catch and cock the striker for the next shot, resulting in a "dead" trigger.

This certainly can be called operator error caused by a failure to follow through completely, but personally I think it's a poor design if it requires a certain trigger pull to work.

I also understand your skepticism about my intentions, this is the internet. I'm not interested in any agenda or "want to see the P320 fail." The majority of my pistols are SIGs, and I've never had a failure of any kind with any of them. In fact, I think my P229 once had a broken firing pin but kept working. What I am trying to do is find a lighter weight, higher capacity, striker fired pistol to replace my P229 as my EDC. I bought the VP9 first, but don't like how I shoot it at speed (I string high right). Then I tried the PPQ. As much as I love the trigger, I don't shoot it as accurately as others. I think it's a combination of a wide rear sight notch and surprising muzzle flip. I then got the P320 and loved it. Well, the grips needed improvement, but so did the PPQ's. The Carry is basically the same size as the P229, but carries 17 and is lighter, plus eliminates the initial DA, which does slow me down a touch. Unfortunately, I've had at least one failure each outing. Long winded explanation, but I really had my hopes on this one being my next favorite pistol.

This is my first mag through the pistol (only 7 yards), so you can see why I want this work: