SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You Will Buy A Revolver
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You Will Buy A Revolver Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I don't think any currently produced revolvers will have any more collectible status than current production autos plastic or metal. People will lock down on them for the locks, the MIM, etc.. The collectors now and in the future will want the oldies.

So, maybe you will buy a revolver. But it's likely to be a safe queen.

quote:
Originally posted by TN Mark:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:
quote:
Originally posted by TN Mark:
It’s difficult to imagine most (fill in the blank )__________ gun forum members that don’t or haven’t owned a revolver. I love shooting mine, all but one isn’t stainless and isn’t a Ruger. My latest being the 4.2” 10 round GP100 in .22lr.

I think it's somewhat age dependent. I grew up with revolvers and will always have a soft spot for them. I'm a middle aged dude though.

I'm not sure the 20 and 30 somethings feel the same way.

For us "mature" folk, there is a little bit of nostalgia in shooting revolvers. A lot of us lust after the guns of our youth, perhaps from a time we wanted them but couldn't afford them.

I wonder if 30 years from now, the now 20 somethings will be collecting and oohing over vintage Glocks and P365s?

I think a polymer gun from any manufacturer will be as collectible as a 2020 Toyota Camry in the decades to come. Or any other common mostly recyclable/disposable vehicle built today.

Not so with an all metal stainless or blued steel revolver. With proper care they can and will last 100's of years and still have collectible value. The quality of the metal being used today is at an all time high. Plus the .38Spl and the .357Magnum likely have another 100 years of life in them as well. As does the 9mm.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
After getting my S&W K-Comp I’m starting to put it in my carry rotation. Definitely not a safe queen...

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSW:
Congratulations, that’s a very nice 41 Mag. I was brought up with revolvers so I’ve owned quite a few over the years. I owned all the major brands but S&W is definitely my favorite. I liked them so much I even carried them concealed. Here are three S&W 357s that were in my carry rotation for some time.

If that snubby is a 627 8 shot and I think it is, mine is in the Concealed carry rotation. As are 4 moon clips on posts. Admittedly is winter carry but still.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I buy them anyway, generally Smiths.

Last week found a limited run 2" M-60 with adjustable sights At a garage sale. One of 660 made back in the mid 1980's.

My first revolver addition in many months. Nice Smiths have been tough to find.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Revolvers are forever. You can clean, oil, and load a revolver and stick it in a drawer and 40 years later, with good ammo, it'll fire like yesterday.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because a semi auto in 40 years will be unusable. Lol

I love my revolvers. First gun I ever owned. I will buy the 9mm Ruger Super GP100 once they realize they need to add the ability to place a rail on a match gun. Not sure how they missed that. Optics aren’t going away.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Revolvers brought me here and are my first love.

Here's a pre model 19 4 screw from about 1957 with rosewood grips

5 screw 357 5" from mid 1950s

1st gen Colt saa w long flute cyl

S&W Performance Center 681 3" 7 shot

Early 80s Python

FBI issue 2 1/2" mod 10

Colt Lawmna snubbies

Ruger speed six snub

Good ol days gunshow haul. .357 Timberwolf (Israeli Arms) pump, S&W mod 28 and Case XX Bulldog

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
FBI issue 2 1/2" mod 10

That is gorgeous.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
This 5-inch barreled S&W 27-2 landed recently. Shown with assorted gunleather from Barranti Leather.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread has the best looking pistols in it. Period. Thanks for posting. Absolutely beautiful.

And the 5" S&W in the post above is incredible. No firearm finish is more beautiful to me than the bluing S&W does (did?) on their revolvers. Works of art.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted a 6 1/2" Model 29... you guys are not helping keep the fever at bay!

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d like to get a 357 myself

Posts: 28 | Location: Fort Worth Texas | Registered: January 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like Smith revolvers I recommend picking up the Standard Catalog, 3rd or 4th.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by klash556:
I’d like to get a 357 myself

Go with an N frame 357 8 shot. even my hot for current 357 loadings reloads pleasant in the N frame. Not sure why 357 has been downloaded from those factory rounds from 1935 era. I think that Smith made lighter guns for highway patrol meant to be carried more than shot and a heavy diet of 125 grainers were not kind to them. In any event N frame made for 44 magnum and that is basically twice the power and thus recoil of 357. I don’t think the 44s in a 6 inch that bad. too old for 454 and 460 and 500 figure that is why people made 4570 revolvers and those didn’t tempt me either. I remember a terrible movie wherein the bad guy had a thompson center in 4570. May have been a van damme one. Anyway that single shot 4570 had near mythical powers.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, it came in. 3" Ruger SP101, stainless, .38 Special, with Trausch grips and a lanyard ring - apparently these were all over the place a year or two ago without my having noticed. Still, everything looks good except for a slight drag ring and the trigger feels pretty dang good when dryfiring in double or single action.

I'm guessing from the grips, the holster it came with that it might be one of those that came in as surplus from some French law enforcement agency. Does anyone know offhand of a source of information on the non-factory stamps?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Picked up a new model Colt King Cobra a couple weeks ago. I’m a big revolver fan and probably own as many or more revolvers as I do semi-auto pistols. Rugers are my favorite, especially the Six Series guns, but this Colt is pretty nice. It’s pictured with my only other Colt pistol.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
All these beautiful revolvers and so I'll post a picture of what I think is one of the best looking ones ever....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
Well I said it, then I did it. Again.
Not a classic in any sense of the word, but what a great little "Drop it in my pocket to go pick up my Dominos pizza down the street" gun. And it's even better because it's a '442 NFL' model.... Big Grin

Posts: 799 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Love it, and “NFL” for the win! Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I recently added a 3-1/2” barreled 27-2 to complement the 5” barreled revolver I have of the same model. Between these two and a K-22, I’ve been doing a fair amount of revolver shooting lately. All three are “new-to-me” and have some honest wear on them.

The 3-1/2” gun has “Secret Service” grips from Eagle Grips on it. Some gunleather from Barranti is enroute; pics to follow once that has arrived.