SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226-22 Mags and Grips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226-22 Mags and Grips Login/Join 
posted
My family and visiting company have been using our new P226-22 a lot! I'm really enjoying going to our backyard range and shooting a box of Mini Mags in the evening. My wife hears me shooting and comes out to shoot a few mags. So a few questions for guys shooting P226-22's.

Mags - I ordered spare mags from GSdesigns and ordered their replacement slides for the stock Sig mags. The GSdesign white slides in the Sig mags locks the slide after last round, but the GSdesigns slides don't. I thot the GSdesign slides were supposed to lock the slide? Otherwise the GSD slides work fine.

Grips - I love the grips on my 226 Legion. Can I buy/install Legion grips on the P226-22. It's stock grips don't have screws like my 9mm 226. Not sure how to remove the stock P226-22 grips since there's no screws.

Shooting only MiniMags and don't think we've had one FTF. Probably shooting/training with the 226-22 100:1 vs the 9mm.

Love this pistol. But I'm also an ex-Mosquito owner.... The 226-22 was worth every penny. Thx guys

Posts: 8 | Registered: December 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have the newer E2 grips, which require spreading for removal. Normally, there's a black plastic T type tool for this procedure.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I have experience with the Sig P226 and P229 pistols in .22lr. I have ordered from GS Designs before and use their products. The correct term is "followers" in the U.S. The white ($10.99) magazine followers they sell is an inexpensive addition to your factory Sig .22 mag. It protrudes up and gets in the way of the pistols slide as it is closing after firing the last shot. So it "locks" the slide back on the last shot by this method.

The actual GS Design .22 mags for the Sig P-Series .22 pistols are also designed to hold your slide open on the last shot by using the pistols slide lock. Just like as if you were shooting centerfire ammo. The follower (GS Design allows you to pick from a collection of different colors for the mag body and/or follower) on the GS Design mags SHOULD hold the slide open after the last shot. If they are not they might need some tweeking. Or you pistols slide lock spring is too strong. Not allowing the GS Design mags follower to push it up to stop your slide when empty...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh.... that's what the long, black plastic tool is in the case. Thx

Wally, the follower for the Sig mags extends much father than the GSD followers. Thx, I'll check it out.

Appreciate the help

Posts: 8 | Registered: December 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Be careful with those grips,spread them just enough to barely slide them off. Spread them too far and they will be loose when you put them back on. RTFM! Or, in civilian speak, read the instructions...

Regarding the mags do this. Remove the slide from your pistol. Insert an empty 9mm mag into the frame and notice how the follower pushes UP on the slide stop. This locks the slide back on the last shot. Now do this with the GS Design .22 mag. Is it pushing the slide stop FULLY UP? This is the beginning of understanding the problem.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post