SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Cracked Frames??? Is this legit or just hogwash?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Cracked Frames??? Is this legit or just hogwash? Login/Join 
Picture of Alma
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Even if the "frame" (grip module) did crack (hypothetically), you could just get a new one. It doesn't bear the stresses of firing and cycling, the internal "fire control" unit or chassis would.

This ^^^
I have easily worked with several hundred grip modules as having tens of thousands of rounds through my own P320s. The only crack I have seen is after a case rupture. Even then it only launched a small piece of plastic from just over the serial number and the grip has continued to be used for thousands of rounds.
Even then, if grip modules were cracking for whatever reason you are $35 away from getting a brand new once. Seems like a fight for relevance for other platforms for whoever started that rumor.

Posts: 254 | Location: Springfield, VA | Registered: November 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
Gun industry as someone who works for a rival manufacturer...
Gun industry as someone who works in the manufacturing side.

Sour grapes.
And a "friend" that should have just lost credibility.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
Doo doo.

Just think about this for a minute. WHERE, exactly, is the grip module supposedly cracking?

Think about the forces at work on the gun when you shoot it. They're mostly within the slide, which is attached to the FCU. I don't see where an excess of force would be applied to the grip module.

I've never seen any signs of cracking or fatigue in any of my P250s... at least one of which has thousands of rounds through it.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
he only crack I have seen is after a case rupture. Even then it only launched a small piece of plastic from just over the serial number

Back in the R&D area a while back bs'ing with an engineer he was telling me how they design the firearm to sustain a catastrophic failure in a manner to prevent injury in most cases.

The few instances, as you said cause a small crack and usually the lose of the extractor.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Now you DO know that you shouldn't be listening to SIG 'news' from anyone who has a email address that ends in glock.com or has a phone number with a Smyrna area code, right?

Jus' sayin'... Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
Now you DO know that you shouldn't be listening to SIG 'news' from anyone who has a email address that ends in glock.com or has a phone number with a Smyrna area code, right?

Jus' sayin'... Wink

Psychological projection from someone affiliated with a certain Austrian manufacturer perhaps? Smile

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post