SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Seeking .22LR recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking .22LR recommendations Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Agree with ronin the general quality and durability of what I refer to as tactical trainers is generally poor. I will throw you a curve ball. Buy an entry level 9mm 1911 ( like a rock island for 500 bucks) then a good quality .22 conversion such as a marvel. Use the .22 top end for practice and when confident in moving up calibers change slides and the remaining handling characteristics stay the same. Can do something similar with the sig 226 or beretta 92.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Agree with ronin the general quality and durability of what I refer to as tactical trainers is generally poor. I will throw you a curve ball. Buy an entry level 9mm 1911 ( like a rock island for 500 bucks) then a good quality .22 conversion such as a marvel. Use the .22 top end for practice and when confident in moving up calibers change slides and the remaining handling characteristics stay the same. Can do something similar with the sig 226 or beretta 92.

IF you go this route, remember that Rock Island makes 1911s in 10mm, .45acp, .40, .38super and 9mm- plus their wicked .22TCM cartridge.

I would recommend avoiding the 1911 GI frame though. it will cost more to change to beavertail and good sights than the difference in price between the GI and Rock level with RIA.

If she is interested in .45, RIA sells a .22lr/.45acp combo.

And, before she [or you] say 'no- that is too much power!'- have her try it without fear.

I taught my friends 11 year old daughter how to shoot [he was there learning also].

I taught her in 2 days: safety/loading/handling/alignment/sights/breathing on day one, and shooting on day two.

She started with .22lr [MK II 22/45], then .380acp [Bersa], then .38sp, then 9mm [Sig P225], then .45acp [5" 1911], then .40S&W [Glock G23], then .357mag [4" GP100], then .44mag [7.5" SRH, then .45colt [BH].

When asked which she liked the most- she picked up the 1911 in .45 and asked if she could shoot it again.

And, she wasn't bad for a newbie.

The moral- the 5" all steel frame soaks up a lot of the power in a .45acp.

A 3" .40 kicks more, as does a 3" 9mm.

I have 3 RIA 1911s. They make decent stuff, and they STAND BEHIND THEIR WARRANTY! Great to work with!

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy yourself a S&W Model 41 and give her your current pistol.

If she doesn't like it then you at got a S&W Model 41 out of the deal.

Posts: 243 | Location: OH | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domino:
Buy yourself a S&W Model 41 and give her your current pistol.

If she doesn't like it then you at got a S&W Model 41 out of the deal.

Big Grin

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I bought a S&W M&Pc .22 last year and could not be happier. It eats everything I throw at it, even Thunderbolt, and has a decent trigger. My 11 year old son picked it out of several I let him hold and loves shooting it.

I had a Sig Mosquito that worked fine but was more picky on ammo and the trigger was crap. This is a long way away from that gun.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I bought a S&W M&Pc .22 last year and could not be happier. It eats everything I throw at it, even Thunderbolt, and has a decent trigger. My 11 year old son picked it out of several I let him hold and loves shooting it.

I’ll echo this. I bought one as rimfire suppressor host and have been more than pleased. I can honestly say that I haven’t cleaned it in who knows how long and it’s still going strong. Not as accurate as my tuned MK IV, but it has the look and feel of a full sized CF gun.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post