SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Seeking .22LR recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking .22LR recommendations Login/Join 
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted
Hivemind!

I think I've successfully brought another into the fold - my current girlfriend has decided to join the ranks of appropriately heeled Americans.

Range day 2 went down today. She's drawing her groups down rapidly with my 22/45 MkIV. We don't get to go together as frequently as I'd like, as we're in a distance relationship and I have to travel frequently for the Army. We agree her next step is to purchase her own pistol to practice with.

Today we got to fondle some of the pint-sized .22s out there. She tried a Ruger SR22, S&W M&P 22, and Walther P22. Of those, she liked the SR22 the best. We had the chance to rent it and she enjoyed shooting it. Direct from her: she preferred the lighter trigger on the SR22 compared to my Mark IV (it is, though the MkIV is crisper), but prefers the longer barrel of the Mark IV.

For the moment, we're window shopping the long-barreled SR22s on the internet - but I wanted to ask the hivemind if there were any other pistols in the SR22/P22 class we should look at before buying.

What say you, hivemind? Get the Ruger, or definitely tey Blaster XYZ before we pull the trigger?

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bzzzzz, I ammmmm thinkkkkkkinnggggggzzz buzzzzzzzz.

What about getting the 22/45 MK IV sear/trigger/bushing replacement from Volquartsen and see what it feels like?

I have done this to all of my MK series Rugers [ORIGINAL 22/45, MK II Government and MK II-ish target 5.5" stainless].

None of them have a trigger that breaks at more than 3.5lbs.

They all are crisp, with no overtravel and minimal takeup- and reasonable reset.

IF she really likes the MK IV, except the trigger- the trigger can be improved.

I am deliberately NOT recommending consideration of any pistol you didn't mention. I don't know your budget, or the 'offerings' in your neighborhood.

Of the three that you DID mention- I have no experience. I have awareness of the Walther P22, as it is the only one of the 4 you list that we can get here in California.

Yet, I have 3 Ruger MK series [and I didn't buy the M&P 22 or SR22 before they fell off the roster due to my like of the MK series].

I have at least four other brands of .22lr handguns in semi-auto, and two more than that in revolvers.

That issssss my ssssssuggesssstion from this buzzzzy bee in the hive

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Get a MK IV and upgrade the trigger?

My kids are using a Trailside, my younger son (6) will also use the P22. I dont particularly like the P22 outside of its size.

If its for target or hunting I like Rugers or Brownings. If its a transition to defensive handgunning then I like the Walther PPQ 22

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If the end goal is towards a SD centerfire, then I'd suggest a M&P22 or conversion slide for SIG. If it's purely target fun then trailside, Buckmark. Or MK.

What's the end goal?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Right now we're planning to step her up gradually from a rimfire, to a medium frame centerfire, to a ccw centerfire. She shoots the .22s the best.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If she like the SR22, go with it. Every time I try to talk my wife into something I like, it doesn’t work.

Posts: 185 | Location: Deep Creek Lake, MD, Stuart, FL.  | Registered: December 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Right now we're planning to step her up gradually from a rimfire, to a medium frame centerfire, to a ccw centerfire. She shoots the .22s the best.

PPQ 22

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
If she prefers the Ruger except for the trigger, that's an easy fix, just upgrade to a Volquartsen trigger.

https://volquartsen.com/products/354-accurizing-kit

Posts: 13677 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife shoots the S&W M&P 22 Compact, and likes it primarily due to the easily racked slide. She's pretty deadly with it too, especially for a grandmother.

________________________________________________________________________________________
“How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 124 | Location: Pikesville, MD | Registered: February 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to be repetitive here so bear with me. I agree with the above, if the point is to move up to centerfire stay away from the Ruger MK series. The controls and functionality just aren't similar enough, for me, to train with. I own multiples of the series with Volquartsen parts and they are amazing guns.

I don't own a SR22 but I used to own a Walther P22. It was a piece of crap and I sold it off but I hear good things about the Ruger. Plus, it has very similar functionality to the guns you are going to transition to. Double plus, I think training on a double action platform then transitioning to striker is way better than the other way around.

Personally, I would save your money and get a used Beretta 87. Best 22 pistol, overall, that I have ever owned. Easily.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Personally, I would save your money and get a used Beretta 87. Best 22 pistol, overall, that I have ever owned. Easily.

How does the Beretta 87 compare to the 87 Target?

I like the feel of my 87 Target- but it is hard to argue with a tricked out Ruger for half the price.

Where I am at, I can't get MK series or SR22 Rugers, and the 87 Target has fallen off our list also.

Yet, a MK Series and full Volquartsen should cost about $500 [if doing labor yourself], while the 87 Target goes for $850-1100.

What does a Beretta 87 go for?

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Yeow!

Looks like $850 for a Beretta 87. I've had one of those on the "maybe someday" list for quite a while but I think that's out of her price range. She IS a brand new shooter and when we talked about gun, accessories, etc., she was most comfortable at a sub-$500 price point to start out.

I will have to go hunting for a PPQ .22...

The LGS closest to her has a very large selection of .22s (or did, last time I was in) so we'll be going shopping there next.

It seems I also need to look again at .22 caliber conversion kits...I do have a small collection of SIGs, after all...

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:

PPQ 22

I second the PPQ 22. I ran over 1K 22lr though mine before a single failure. Probably 700 suppressed.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It seems I also need to look again at .22 caliber conversion kits...I do have a small collection of SIGs, after all...

IF you are thinking of .22 conversion kits, there are three items to consider:

1- know what you expect out of them, and realize that they are generally not going to be as cost-effective as a dedicated Buckmark or your Ruger MK IV.

Will you 'really' swap uppers back/forth all the time- just for continuity of trigger?

2- Sig conversion kits do not lock the slide back with the last shot.

There are options to follow for aftermarket, but the conversion is not designed for LSHO.

3- if you STILL want one [and I have 5 for various guns Smile], realize that Sig has discontinued them and start planning accordingly.

You can still find some 'new' ones out there, but it depends on P226/P229/P220 and threaded or non-threaded.

If you decide to wait 4 years, it is likely to be harder to find them and parts/magazines.

As to the pistol that she gets- she has to 'pilot' the choice of course, with you giving 'navigation' tips. That way she feels 'ownership' of the firearm.

Don't drive her to one you like. If you feel she is going to make a REALLY bad choice, I'd explain that to her, and why, but let her make it.

But, she isn't mine. My wife would just grab whatever one of mine she felt like and trust that I had enough other options not to be offended. Yet, I've been buying for over 20 years Wink

posted Hide Post
87 Target is a single action only. I have one and I don’t care for it. Target shooting I would take one of my Rugers over this. 87 standard is totally different.

If you are talking conversions then I would point you to the CZ Kadet. Pick CZ of choice and get the Kadet. All steel, fixed barrel. Great accuracy. I mean Target gun great and I own 2 and ran thousands of rounds through them. Zero malfunctions that weren’t obviously ammo issues. Only shortcomings, pricey, mags are sharp you need a loader to avoid shredding your hands over time, and the slide area where you rack is small and hard to grip because of rear sight. That being said, best conversion I have ever shot. Plus the Center fire CZ host is great too.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
Ruger MK IV and upgrade the trigger, done.

Or ......... Walther PPQ 22, great value and fit/finish.

Or ......... Sig 229 with conversion slide.

Or ........ Beretta 92 Vertec with a conversion slide.

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

If you are talking conversions then I would point you to the CZ Kadet. Pick CZ of choice and get the Kadet. All steel, fixed barrel. Great accuracy. I mean Target gun great and I own 2 and ran thousands of rounds through them. Zero malfunctions that weren’t obviously ammo issues. Only shortcomings, pricey, mags are sharp you need a loader to avoid shredding your hands over time, and the slide area where you rack is small and hard to grip because of rear sight. That being said, best conversion I have ever shot. Plus the Center fire CZ host is great too.

I've read great reviews about the CZ with a Cadet conversion.

Yet, that is a change of platform- requiring a new handgun AND conversion kit.

If that is a goal, I have a lot of other suggestions also.

posted Hide Post
SR22. Great bang for the buck.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I have never shot a 22 that was made to act and look tactical that was worth a crap. although I haven't shot the ruger. the walter and sig offerings are very underwhelming.

A full size 22 is much more fun to shoot and you can actually get target results rather than a full spread. A Berreta or Smith and Wesson would both be good. My two favorites are browning buckmark or a ruger mk series. If you are trying to save money I would look for a used mk 2. The mk II trigger is better than both the 3 and 4's. So no need to ugrade the 2!!!.

If I was a new shooter I would buy the cz75 and the kadet together and never look back. Only conversion kit I have fired that made it feel like a target pistol and not an add on!!!

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite with red dot and inxepensive comp to help balance the gun better. I love mine. Comp does not help with 22 recoil but with balance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post