SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P6 Feeding Problems ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P6 Feeding Problems ? Login/Join 
Picture of Gambit
posted
Since buying my only P6 years ago I've only used it with round nose bullets.
Shoots just fine, but I've read several times that the P6 has problems cycling hollow points or truncated bullets.
I will try some different hollow points next time out, but wanted input from those of you that shoot P6's.
I am thinking about using it more in a self defense/carry roll.
Thanks

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well know problem with the P6. Most of the time people have the ramp polished. I have a P225 and have no problems with any ammo.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The barrel ramp angle was changed in 1988 (?) to feed HPs.
There are companies that will help your P6 barrel feed HPs.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Try an older-style hollowpoint with a rounded profile and narrow cavity like the Federal 9BP.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
try out the ammo with your pistol.
I have a '81 P6 (and a '83 P225) with the older style feed ramp and they will both eat whatever I feed it.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pow-R-Ball works too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I have a '79 P6 and an old ('84?) P225 and they have fed fired and extracted everything that I have tried in them.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I also had a '79 P6 but mine would only feed JHPs about 50% of the time and I had tried Gold Dots & Golden Speers; occasionally had issues with FMJ. I ended up sending the barrel to Customized Creationz and they ended up changing the ramp angle (this was about 7 yrs ago so I don't know if they still do this work). Mine was a beater so having the barrel worked on wasn't a big deal but if you don't want the barrel modified, you might be better off buying a newer barrel.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
The barrel ramp angle was changed in 1988 (?) to feed HPs.

I copied this post several years ago, it is correspondence between SIG and one of our members regarding the changes to the P6/P225 barrel:
quote:
P225 P6 barrel feedramp geometry change:

Originally posted by enyapp:
This is the response I got after emailing J.P. Sauer & Sohn when SigSauer USA responded to my question posted on their website and gave me their contact information. It took awhile, but, I have patience and have always been pleased with their customer service:

"Dear Mr. Parrish,
We checked our drawings and found out that we change the angle of the barrel ramp on the 14th of June 1989 from 52 degrees to 54 degrees.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
With best regards,

Ralf Vanicek
Produktmanager SIG SAUER

J.P. Sauer & Sohn GmbH
gegr. 1751
Sauerstrasse 2-6
D 24340 Eckernförde"

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Here's my p6 feed ramp. I chose to put in a new p225 barrel. Boy, those are hard to come by now.

Posts: 3483 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Thanks, y'all. Just the kind of feedback I needed.
Mine was manufactured in 1980.
Like I said, my next outing will be with some hollow points.
This is going to be fun.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
try out the ammo with your pistol.
I have a '81 P6 (and a '83 P225) with the older style feed ramp and they will both eat whatever I feed it.

Likewise, I had a '83 P6 that would feed anything I threw at it. I can't in confidence say that the previous owners didn't have anything to do with that outcome, though, because it came into my possession in late 2010.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Well, it took me while, but I did some shooting with hollow points and FMJ's today.

I shot three mags worth of 147gr Golden Saber HP's without issue. Shoots pretty close to point of aim.

I also shot some Fiocchi 115gr, FMJ, that Academy has on sale. Functioned fine , but prints 5 or 6 inches low at 25 yards and my groups were not very good.

I then shot some Winchester White Box 147gr FMJ's that shoot right to point of aim at 25 yards and this P6 absolutely loves them. Groups were almost half the size of the Fiocchi ammo groups.

Thanks again, guys.