SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New VP9 - First Range Trip ---- **Range trip #2 update pg 2**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New VP9 - First Range Trip ---- **Range trip #2 update pg 2** Login/Join 
JOIN, or DIE
posted
Took advantage of GrabaGun's $449 VP9 the other day. This is VP9 #3 for me. I felt the first VP9's recoil spring to be weak and had posted about it about a year or so ago. I was pleased to find out that HK is putting the .40cal recoil spring in the VP9 now, it definitely felt improved as far as returning to battery. I loaded up a mag of blazer brass 115gr. First round felt super weak and the slide kerchunked home slowwwwly. Did a press check to take a look....no round in the chamber. Ejected but didn't strip the next one. Kind of a bummer...but ammo for sure.

So I load a bunch of more mags...probably shot 250rd today. 100 blazer brass 115gr and the rest a mix of defense hp loads. Gold Dot 124+p and HST 147+p (my two carry/defense choices) as well as Ranger 127+p+ and some old 9BBLE. It ran perfect with the hp loads and soft shooting. While on another mag of the blazer I got a failure to feed...round up into the barrel at a 45degree angle but not fed. So I tap and rack myself into a double feed. Double bummer. Fix that, shot the rest of the mag no problem. No problems at all with the hp stuff all day. Kind of a bummer that it choked on the blazer 2 out of 100rd but I figure its a new gun, blah blah blah, ya know. Yes, it was cleaned and lubed with good oil before the trip.

Outside of that though, I have to say I'm in love with the gun. The trigger on this one feels like it got an extra once over by whoever built it. No hump in the take up, just very smooth. The break is very crisp and reset standard of the VP pistols. I don't fancy myself a marksman but this gun just inspires confidence. Weird to explain it....kind of like you feel you can make a difficult shot if you had to with it.

Top Group I think was 10rds
Middle Group 16rds
Bottom Group 16rds
10 yards, two hands standing. Not super slow but not fast shooting. Maybe a second a round.

Same target at 7 yards after two or three mag dumps. One mag dump was one handed (strong hand) As you can see....having gone to a bunch of crappy ranges that only allow slow fire...my rapid fire needs work. I'll also say that I get tired after the 200rd mark and hands and forearms get a little shaky. Also wasn't zoning in on the sights really. Excuses out of the way...

And another pic just because.

Hope you all enjoy the little story/review and pics.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EmpireState,

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a great gun, especially for $450.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3534 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Congrats and nice shooting! Cool

I love my VP9 too and it has been 100 percent. On HK Pro one rarely reads of a problem with the VP9 which is telling now that HK has sold well over 100,000 of them now.

IMO still one of the very top tier striker fired pistols in a very crowded field of strong contenders. A steal at the price you paid for it. A very well built gun ready to go out of the box and no "sticky" controls as reported with some of the newest SF offerings LOL. HK lifetime warranty is a big plus too IMO.

As far as the couple issues you had with Blazer ammo. Blazer ammo is loaded on the weaker side and now that the VP9 comes with the stronger VP40 RSA it is not unusual to experience problems with weaker ammo for the first couple hundred rounds.

I really like that my P30L and VP9 use the same magazines. Magazines prices for HKs have for the most part dropped to reasonable levels.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Almost every HK I have experience with and that's a fair few, require a break in before they will run crap reliably. Usually 2 two 4 boxes of hot or heavy stuff loosens them up. Also make sure they are cleaned and lubed well early on.

Once you cross that break in point they will run damn Near anything for damn near ever.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A thumbs up for grabagun. I ordrred a VP9 on Wednesday, it shipped Thursday and arrived at my FFL on Friday. Outstanding.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
IMO still one of the very top tier striker fired pistols in a very crowded field of strong contenders.

My feelings also.

I have two holster types, six mags and Trij. HD sights on mine and although my CZ blasters have been getting all shooting of late my VP9 is a great system.

EmpireState
Congrats on a great gun at a great price !

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Hey Empire, glad you finally got the VP9.. I see your at The Total Shooting Sports range! Btw, I have s VP9sk that's brand new as well (obviously). It has been 100% with a Blaser Brass fortunately. Good luck!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 vp9's and they are awesome. My second is the grey with the .40 spring. It took about 200 rounds before I stopped having occasional issues with 115gr ammo. Now it will shoot anything without a problem. That spring is stiff, but loosens up. Congrats and nice shooting!!

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is your VP9 less snappy with the .40cal recoilspring? ( less muzzle flip? )

Posts: 467 | Registered: November 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Weirdly...with the hot defense stuff it did feel that way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EmpireState,

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Hey Empire, glad you finally got the VP9.. I see your at The Total Shooting Sports range! Btw, I have s VP9sk that's brand new as well (obviously). It has been 100% with a Blaser Brass fortunately. Good luck!

Thank you and yes I sure was. I really like that place, I've been a few times now, thanks for recommending it. I was thinking about an SK at some point in the future and thats awesome that yours is 100%. Usually before shooting new guns I'll rack the slide a lot and leave it locked back for a few days. Didn't do that with this one but I think it's just because its new....at least I hope. I'm really a fan of the VP line.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I need to take my new VP9 LE out as well.
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Great pistol.

They are fetching $1,000 - $1,200 in the peoples republic of Ca.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3479 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
How are they able to gotten in California? Is it from folks moving in to the state with off list pistols?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
quote:

Thank you and yes I sure was. I really like that place, I've been a few times now, thanks for recommending it. I was thinking about an SK at some point in the future and thats awesome that yours is 100%. Usually before shooting new guns I'll rack the slide a lot and leave it locked back for a few days. Didn't do that with this one but I think it's just because its new....at least I hope. I'm really a fan of the VP line.

Empire, I have a VP9 and shoot at TSS regularly with dryfly. You should with us sometime.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
How are they able to gotten in California? Is it from folks moving in to the state with off list pistols?

Through PPT from people who brought them in via the single shot exemption. The SSE was closed as of 2016.

You can get most guns here but your gonna pay a hefty price. The Sig Legion's are going for $2,600 and up.

Also some Cops who are exempt can still get off roster guns and sell them via PPT. They are cracking down on that too now. We have so many new crazy laws being passed it's hard to keep up on them.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3479 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
quote:

Empire, I have a VP9 and shoot at TSS regularly with dryfly. You should with us sometime.

I'd be up for that. Send me an email whenever.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Certainly, feel free to join us Empire!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your results & the range report. Nice groups, well done amigo! I regret parting ways with my VP9 as well as my P30SK Frown

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting! Never had an Hk that didn't shoot great right out of the box!

Posts: 1699 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post