SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What kind of self-defense ammo do you like for your P365?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of self-defense ammo do you like for your P365? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Speer Gold Dot 124g.+P

I'd like to try the short barrel version, but haven't yet.

Posts: 31 | Registered: July 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me in my micro p365 the Novx 65 grain copper /polymer bullets are the way to go. Very light and fast with a wound track that is the same or bigger than hollow points. Good penetration also which for me is the biggest plus out of a short barrel.

When telling someone the truth keep one foot in the stirrup

Posts: 5 | Registered: June 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
In my humble opinion all the hype about self defense ammo is mostly marketing. What's the best SD ammo this week ad nausaium. I dare say any ammo fired from a center fire handgun at close range will produce a rather bad sore on the attacker. I will always subscribe to the KISS method in this instance. It is my belief that the best SD ammo is one that can be fired accurately. A hit with a FMJ is much better than a miss with a Black Talon.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^

I can be very lazy sometimes but "hype" does not change the science in this testing. Why not at least make a choice from the rather detailed results?

https://www.luckygunner.com/la...ballistic-tests/#9mm

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by black1970:
In my humble opinion all the hype about self defense ammo is mostly marketing. What's the best SD ammo this week ad nausaium. I dare say any ammo fired from a center fire handgun at close range will produce a rather bad sore on the attacker. I will always subscribe to the KISS method in this instance. It is my belief that the best SD ammo is one that can be fired accurately. A hit with a FMJ is much better than a miss with a Black Talon.
the last sentence really hits it home but you have to admit that the advances in powder and bullet design have increased ammo efficiency quite a bit from 10 years ago.

Posts: 31 | Location: grove city ohio | Registered: August 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
Hornady 115gr XTP. I have over 1600rds total out of my P365 and about 500 of those are this round.

I tried Federal HST, Fiocchi's with XTP bullets, Golden Sabers, Federal 9BPLE +p+, Winchester Rangers and even older Winchester Silvertips. All of those rounds were flawless but I shot the best groups with the Hornady XTP's.

Sorry for the thread drift but, have you noticed any parts wear with that level of shooting? Thanks

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Several good performers, some penetrate a bit too much, some not enough. Looks like, for one, the Speer Gold Dot 147gr is a good performer.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the 124 gr. +P Gold Dots, but prefer the 150 gr. Federal "micro" cartridge for the P365.

The +P Gold Dots are preferred for my 9mm Shield, however.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Federal HST 147 gr for me, given the choice and availability...

Posts: 105 | Registered: February 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bonanacroin:
Federal HST 124 gr +P

+1

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Psalms144.1:
Federal HST 147 gr for me, given the choice and availability...

What would you use if anything you wanted was available??

posted Hide Post
After looking through the Lucky Gunner tests and considering my experiences shooting my "normal" self defense ammo through a couple micro-9s, I've changed my opinion on ideal self-defense ammo.

I usually go for mid-weight, high-speed self defense 9mm, like Win. Ranger 127gr+P+ or Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P, and I still prefer that for my full-size 9mms with 4" or longer barrels.

But, for micro-pistols with ~3" barrels and smaller grips, recoil management which gives better accuracy and speed to follow-up shots becomes more important. Of the lower-recoiling rounds, the Lucky Gunner tests have pointed me towards the Federal HST 150gr Micro load. Secondarily, the non+P (standard pressure) 147gr HST is almost as good.

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
I've tried 115gr Critical Defense, 135gr Critical Duty, and 124gr Sig V-Crown. All ran fine and grouped very similarly, with a slight nod to the 135gr Critical Duty. Since I have the 115gr Critical Defense in my 229 now, it's probably what I'll stick with unless I find a deal on the 135gr.

115 Critical Defense for me as well. 2 boxes on different range days without issue, so I'm good to go.

Posts: 165 | Registered: October 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I qualified with mine yesterday with my agency.

I used what they issue, Winchester Ranger T 147 grain. I bought 500 rounds of it a couple of months ago and shot about 300 through it before qualifying. Plus 200 rounds of cheap FMJ.

I had one failure to lock back during qualifications (100 rounds total). Shot ok.

I also qualified with my Glock 19 (same ammo)
You could tell that I had thousands more rounds through the Glock compared to the Sig...the Glock was like Thor's hammer. Love that damn thing!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry for the thread drift but, have you noticed any parts wear with that level of shooting? Thanks

Sorry for the delay, just saw this now. No, I haven't. I'm now over 2000rds and when I tell people that's how many rounds are thru it they are surprised at its condition.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
quote:

Sorry for the delay, just saw this now. No, I haven't. I'm now over 2000rds and when I tell people that's how many rounds are thru it they are surprised at its condition.

Thanks for the reply. I am just trying to get info as to which spare parts to stock.
Be well

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I don't buy the fluted bullet hype. Likely no more effective than FMJs in real tissue. It looks nice in gel, but real tissue has far more elasticity.

I would likely go with 147gr +P HSTs. 147s are less velocity sensitive than lighter bullets, but in short barrels the +P gets the velocity closer to where it should be out of a 4" barrel.

quote:
Originally posted by cre8ors:
For me in my micro p365 the Novx 65 grain copper /polymer bullets are the way to go. Very light and fast with a wound track that is the same or bigger than hollow points. Good penetration also which for me is the biggest plus out of a short barrel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Running 147gr +P HST

Posts: 23 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
After reading up on the ballistic testing at LG, I decided to give 124gr HST a try, mainly because it seemed like it was more consistent in velocity and expansion round-to-round. The first 50 ran through with no problems. Once I get my flat trigger installed, I'll go back out and try again to see how it groups.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried Golden Saber 124+P and 147 grain in my P365, and my gun prefers the 147.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post