SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Frame rail weight for a G19

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frame rail weight for a G19 Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
Picture of soggy_spinout
posted
FINALLY I've convinced my wife to take up shooting. With all of the stories in the news about muggings and home invasions, it really didn't take too much of a nudge, at least far less than it would have only a couple of years earlier.

We started with my SR22 (hers now) which she did pretty well with, but ultimately I'd like to get her accustomed to shooting and relying on a 9mm, preferably loaded up with 124gr HSTs. Ultimately my PPS M2 will probably end up being hers since she likes its ergonomics, but before she starts looking for a holster and plotting how she'll carry it, I would like to have her train on a larger (i.e., heavier) striker, especially one where we can manipulate the weight of the gun via rail weights to help mitigate muzzle flip until she gets comfortable and competent with shooting 9mm before moving on to a lighter configuration. Her shooting the Walther I could easily see her developing habits that was resulting in flinching, which I want to eliminate now before it gets ingrained with that pistol.

A Gen4 G19 fits her hands reasonably well; empty it's only about 2oz heavier than the PPS M2 but fully loaded there's a noticeably difference between the two. Plus it has a low bore axis and most importantly, a rail. It uses a similar trigger action to the Walther and I have a bunch of them for her to use. I initially put my old TLR-2 on one of my G19s but she thinks that looks stupid for her Roll Eyes, so now I'm on a quest for a dedicated rail weight that doesn't look so 'tactical-silly'. A company called SJC makes a 5.7oz dedicated weight specifically marketed for Glocks; anyone ever use one of these? Has anyone ever tried to fit it on rails of other guns? Both my VP9 and PPQ she really likes as well, so those could possibly be used as trainers if the Glock ultimately doesn't do it for her. However muzzle flip IMHO is even more of an issue with those compared to the G19, so the ability of mounting flexibility is a desired must.

Anyone know of other options that I could consider? Initially I was thinking that the SJC might be too light to start with, but frankly I don't rightly know since I have no actual experience with these things. But I do think it would be ideal if a weight system was configurable for its actual heft so we could gradually reduce it as she gains experience and confidence, yet so far I haven't found a system like that via Google. Any advice is welcome.

Posts: 6716 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bmo
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest a tungsten guide rod but see that they're nowhere near as heavy as that SJC weight. Didn't know those existed.

How about a surefire XC1? Those don't look too tactical and don't add a lot of bulk to a G19. In fact I think they were designed with that gun in mind. Should add a few oz up front to help with muzzle flip and your wife will have a weapon light as well.

Posts: 2588 | Location: WA | Registered: November 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
An XC1 with an alkaline battery does add a bit of weight.

If it's just for training purposes, I think she just needs to get over the look of the TLR-2, but IMO, I think she should just train with the gun in the configuration that she intends on carrying it with, possibly with some light 115grains at first.

Posts: 5549 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xwesler
posted Hide Post
I would second the Tungsten guide rod. It's not as heavy as the light or dedicated weight, but maybe it would be enough? Plus it wouldn't look any different.

Without knowing your wife, obviously, idk if it would reduce the muzzle flip enough to work for her, and they aren't the cheapest part in the world.

Posts: 990 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G19 is good and so is PPS-M2. My wife finds PPS-M2 to be too difficult to rack. Accuracy is adequate at working range, which is what it is for.

Racking effort, trigger force, weight, accuracy, and (above all) fit were very important to my wife. Encourage her to feel a CCP (accurate and easy to rack, fair trigger, and you will do the cleaning), and a PPQ-M2 4" (which my wife loves and uses for IDPA). Controls are easy to use.
If at all possible, when feeling use backstraps that place her trigger finger where it should be on the trigger.

She might also like FNS9C, but I do not know about racking effort.

As an example of how complex selecting a pistol for other than a strong-man-with-big-hands can be: I fixed an XDs 9mm 4" (replacing essentially all of the action parts) and my wife liked shooting it. However, the sticking point was that the mag. release was very difficult for her to operate! Let us know what she ends up liking and consider IDPA - she too may like the people involved. Mac

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 173 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
You can get a knockoff XC1 on ebay for pretty cheap. Gut it and melt in some fishing weights. Bonus is that it'll fit in G19/XC1 holsters if you fancy that combo for yourself.

Posts: 5179 | Location: Rochester Hills, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the best option is to let her pick what she wants not what you think she should want. Let her try several different guns and calibers. She may even like revolvers.If you pick a gun for her make sure it is something that you want because it will be yours when she don't want it.(been there done that) My wife likes revolvers,she loves her S&W 642 (she doesn't mind the recoil)She also has a G42 and likes shooting my G34.

Posts: 90 | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it would take me 10 min to make a weight, just one of those cheap rail mounts(I have a bunch can send you one) and a little weight. But if she's going to actually use a gun seriously she's going to have to adapt to having a light on it. OK get her a non tactical looking light....

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 5821 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
You can get a knockoff XC1 on ebay for pretty cheap. Gut it and melt in some fishing weights. Bonus is that it'll fit in G19/XC1 holsters if you fancy that combo for yourself.

Or get a knock off X300 and fill it with tungsten. That is what I did for my Limited 320.

-------
Take your time, I'm hourly.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

The opinions posted by this user are his own. And do not represent the opinions of his employer or sponsors.

Posts: 19513 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mj2022:
the best option is to let her pick what she wants not what you think she should want. Let her try several different guns and calibers. She may even like revolvers.If you pick a gun for her make sure it is something that you want because it will be yours when she don't want it.(been there done that) My wife likes revolvers,she loves her S&W 642 (she doesn't mind the recoil)She also has a G42 and likes shooting my G34.

this, my wife has stolen my 1911.

The philosophy of protectionism is a philosophy of war. - Ludwig von Mises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DhagKyvDck

Posts: 6565 | Location: Live from the high desert and the great American southwest! | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of soggy_spinout
posted Hide Post
quote:
the best option is to let her pick what she wants not what you think she should want.

Great...there goes my P210 Legend. She LOVES that one, even though she's never fired a round through it. She also has an eye on my S&W Victory...is nothing sacred?

Let's make this clear: I haven't picked out ANYTHING for her. On the other hand, I won't allow her to choose something that from a functional standpoint I wouldn't have the faith to trust my life with. In the weaning process she herself excluded DA/SA guns; hates the heavy DA pull though she really loves how the P30 feels in her hands. Steel guns like my 1911s, CZ75s and my Hi Powers were non-starters due to weight and size. Most double stacks were out due to size as well. She gravitated immediately to the polymer single stacks, thinking that one of these would be perfect for her needs. I'm in no position to argue because I'm pleased as punch that she's already mindful of the intent and how best it could work for her.

Since I own a WHOLE BUNCH of different current production guns, she pretty much has a smorgasbord of modern pistols from the major makers to choose from (aside from an array of poly Springfields, which I object to based on functional and unnecessary complexity issues, Ruger SRs or niche guns like the Arex or Caniks). Aside from emphasizing the caliber I'm not choosing any gun for her, not that she would otherwise LET me. 30+ years with the same woman...that's how it rolls. I open the safes and she gets to paw at everything I have...pretty much like going to the shop, only we don't have to climb into and start up the car. And if I don't have it, at least there's something in one of the safes that can point in a particular direction if we do have to head out to a shop.

The G19 is there strictly as a training tool, not her end solution. My wife doesn't object to it; she knows I've carried a compact Glock in some form almost continuously for 27 years. And she's seen one in some form or another in our home over that entire time. As a result she respects my opinion on the gun, and is quite curious to see what the fuss is all about.

As for the Walther: she's the one who likes how the PPS M2 feels in-hand and it was her choice over the XDS, LC9S, G43 and 709 Slim that I have (no Shield, but based on how she felt about the Taurus' grip I suspect that the Shield won't fare much better). At least based on looks and ergonomics, she likes it far more than I actually do. She feels that she can confidently manipulate the controls, so at least for now she's happy with her choice. Whether I'm pleased with her decision will depend upon how well she can actually shoot the thing. But that's what the practice and training are for.

Posts: 6716 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of soggy_spinout
posted Hide Post
quote:
But if she's going to actually use a gun seriously she's going to have to adapt to having a light on it. OK get her a non tactical looking light....

Maybe I could tape one of those AAA cell Fenix minilights to whatever gun she chooses. Do they make it in purple (her favorite color)? Even put some nice ribbons on...oh, so cute!!!

Seriously, I about gagged when she made her comment about the TLR-2. No matter how I tried to explain WHY it was on the gun (weight), she'd have no part of it. So I'm on the hunt for something "non-tactical". Sigh. Grumble.

Hmm...as I'm writing this, another thought just occurred: should I bring up the topic of lasers? Does anyone make one for the PPS M2? (just Googled...Crimson Trace does. Of course they do.). 'Point-and-shoot' is (relatively) easy to get up and running, but I was hoping to have my wife develop actual shooting skills, not just get something that's down-n-dirty that takes care of an immediate need.

Picture of soggy_spinout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:

Or get a knock off X300 and fill it with tungsten. That is what I did for my Limited 320.

This idea I LIKE. Thanks for the suggestion. Nobody said that I had to put actual batteries in the cell compartment. Lead fishing weights could work nicely.