SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tell me about Sig 226 Legion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Sig 226 Legion Login/Join 
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted
I’m kicking around a trade for a .40 S&W 226 Legion. I’ve never seen one or even held a 226 of any kind. Right now I don’t have any Sigs but in the past I’ve only owned 229’s and 239’s. I’ve looked at many reviews and searched other threads but most seem to be for 9mm which I would have preferred. I would be trading a Tikka T3x 7mm-08 and Leupold VX2 scope that I really don’t have much need for here in Ohio.

Just looking for opinions from anyone who has one.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a .40 Legion, and a .357 barrel for it, and a 9mm barrel as well. It will actually shoot the 9mm out of a .40 mag with just a barrel swap, though that's probably not kosher.

Great trigger, well put together. The Legion PVD finish doesn't hold up to a lot of holster use, but as is, it's attractive, and the pistols have good fit and finish. The P226 is an excellent pistol. If you like the P229 you'll probably like the P226 even more.

The Legion trigger guard is undercut slightly, the grip is higher, more comfortable than a standard P226. The checkering is good, grips feel great. The Legions are supposed to have a Grayguns trigger, though I believe the ended up with a Sig copy. I have a Legion 229 with a great trigger and the P226 not quite as great, but still very good. It's not because it's a P226, it's just that particular trigger.

Slide fit is tight, no play, barrel lock up tight, and while I don't like the xray sights so much, they're very functional. I just like Trijicon HD better.

I bought my Legions used, as I do many of my firearms, but they were barely so...I hate paying full retail and I don't think I'd have paid full price for what they want out of a Legion, though they're good pistols. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to carry one or depend on it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
Growing up in the military, I was always a Beretta M9 fan. Then my new airline job armed us with HK USPs and my allegiance changed from Italy to Germany. Finally, I shot a couple Sigs as my son was training for his marksmanship test in the Marine Corps.

I sold most everything in my safe, switched over to Sigs, and never looked back. My point is that I've owned and shot many quality pistols over the years and I ended up with Sig Sauer.

Having said all that, the moment I purchased my first Legion (used as well), I was happy with EVERY aspect of it. My first was a P229 and I later added a P226, both in 9mm.

Ergonomics, grip position and comfort, trigger pull and reset, balance, recoil, finish, ease of breakdown, etc. I am happy with every aspect of my Legions. I've got Vortex Venoms mounted on each and wouldn't go back to regular sights. It's scary how accurate and consistent you can be with these red dots.

Buy a Legion, you will not be sorry. Period.

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I love min in 9mm. Perfect for me in every way. 226s in general are awesome.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Legion 226 SAO and its a fantastic pistol. One of my best and I have some very nice guns. The finish gripe is real but it doesnt bother me personally.

If you want it, its a quality gun.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a slightly used P226 DA/SA Legion as an impulse buy and am very happy with that decision. I was contemplating updating my W German P226 and the Legion had the features I wanted. With aging eyes, I really like the X Ray front sight. The Gray Guns trigger makes a difference as the pistol shoots fast and very accurate!

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I passed on the trade. The guy I was going to trade with wanted my dies and brass so the trade wasn’t going to be as even as I originally thought.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you made the right decision by passing on the trade. Wait for a better deal and get it in 9mm as you prefer. I absolutely love my Legion. The grips, short reset trigger, x-ray sights, unique color/look, etc. It just rocks and feels so good in the hand. You will fall in love when you pick one up like I did.

Posts: 32 | Location: IL | Registered: August 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm seriously thinking about a P226 Legion in single action only to take to my annual handgun training class next December. I guess I'll have to be on the look out for used.... new is a tad steep for my budget. The interesting thing is I have no experience with SAO... I'm pretty much a double/single action or double action only shooter. The most difficult part will be flipping that safety off and then back on....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P226 Legion SAO is rapidly becoming my favorite pistol. I could care less about the upgraded case or the challenge coin or the secret fan club on Sig’s website. Basically, the pistol came set up the way I like it right out of the box (grips, trigger, sights). Always puts a smile on my face at the range.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post