SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229R 9mm chatter mark barrel hood
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229R 9mm chatter mark barrel hood Login/Join 
posted
I've owned Sigs for 30 years. Don't recall seeing this. Normal smilies on barrel. Gun runs fine. This an issue?

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/nMPmsC2

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gun runs fine. This an issue?

Apparently not. Have you owned the gun all along, i.e. before those marks appeared? What does the edge of the slide look like?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. I got it third hand. It's not been shot much. The rails look new. The smilies are very light. Really, the only wear is the chatter marks.

If there's some way to stop it or minimize it, I'm in. Of course, this may be as deep as it will get.

More ammo....

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Issue? I see no issues.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pictures are always a bit weird. But in now 200K rounds of P series guns I've not actually seen anything exactly like that. But its in an area that matters not so I'd watch it to see what happens and then act. Its definitely not a safety issue.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt 127:
No. I got it third hand. It's not been shot much. The rails look new. The smilies are very light. Really, the only wear is the chatter marks.

If there's some way to stop it or minimize it, I'm in. Of course, this may be as deep as it will get.

More ammo....

And it may have been the way it shipped from the factory. You've documented the condition at this time. Now shoot it and see if it gets any worse. If it does, you know who to call. If not, well you'll have your answer.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 229 in .40 like that... I too would like to know the reason behind the marks.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I do not believe from looking at your photos that those are chatter marks. Chatter marks usually don't show themselves that far back, and usually appear to be pock marks.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I'm sure you've worked on more Sigs than I have seen. Any idea what caused those marks?

Another view.

http://imgur.com/uNn2vc8

posted Hide Post
I saw this exact issue in 2000 with our agencies 229 Sig.

The photos I took in 2000 show much more extreme damage than the current photo, but the theory is the same.

If I recall, the issue, according to the factory, was related to the incorrect heat treatment of the slide by a vendor.

When I looked at my old files (2002, after resolution of initial issue) I ran across a memo about weapon inspection that reads in part:

1. The top of the barrel hood - checked for "chatter" marks, which is an early indication that the gun is starting to beat itself to death.

2. The locking surface at the front (muzzle end) of the barrel hood, at the juncture of the forward end of the chamber and the barrel - checked for displacement of metal and peening, which is an early indication that the locking surface is getting beaten by the slide.

3. The locking surface at the front (muzzle end) of the ejection port - checked for displacement of metal, which is an early indication that the slide is getting beaten by the work hardened locking surface of the barrel hood. And cracks, which are a result of not readily identifying the other early indicators.

Obviously, the short term problems in 2000 were fixed by the factory. Is it possible this is a circa 2000 weapon?

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comments, 0658. I had seen something similar on another SIG long ago, but had no idea what might have caused them except for thinking it had to have been an issue with the slide somehow.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the E2. I'm sorry, should have mentioned that so, it can't be that old.

Sticker on the box is 25-May-2011.

E29R-9-BSS-DAK.

Looking at the slide and locking block, there is no wear. But the barrel has wear everywhere it contacts another part. Perhaps the barrel is just a little soft.