SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shot A Colt Woodsman Today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot A Colt Woodsman Today Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
This is a First Series made in 1931. It has been in my other half’s family since new. She has not shot the gun since she was 15. She is now 72. We shot CCI Standard Velocity ammo. This thing has a hair trigger. I’ll get the trigger gauge on it when we clean it tonight. It surprised both of us. Put 50 rounds thru it. We had 3 empties that did not eject (they were still in the chamber) and one light strike that did not go off. When I looked at the crooked bullet, I tossed it, so I don’t know if it would have gone off a second time. Fun little gun. First time I’ve shot a .22 handgun in years.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What sweet pistols those were.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
What sweet pistols those were.

Love mine

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, thanks for posting

Posts: 101 | Registered: July 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
The Buckmark tries hard to be this pistol!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Wonderful old pistols, that are still capable of getting the job done.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Glad you guys had fun shooting it. My .22LR guns have quickly become my favorites after finally giving them a chance.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I've shot maybe 4 or 5 early Woodsman's and all of them had very light triggers.

Have a 4" first gen gun, that was carried by a US Army Air Corps Pilot with the 8th AF in Europe, WW2. That gun has a 2# trigger.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I have my Grandfathers Woodsman....

It's my go to pistol when I take new shooters out for the first time. It's great for teaching the basics.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3474 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the modern stuff made today doesn’t hold a candle to the elegance accuracy and long term reliability of these old designs. Give me an older functional gun any time over the modern stuff

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
My brother has dad's target model. If it wasn't so unfriendly to lefty shooters I would have fought him for it.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
My trigger gauge says the trigger is 2 ½ pounds. She bought a brick of the standard velocity ammo, so we will shoot this gun once in a while. Thanks for all the comments. It is a classic.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was my 1st gun back in the day I bought new for 155 bucks , mine was I think the 3rd gen 1976 time frame .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
"Shot a Colt Woodsman today"

I'll bet that really pissed him off.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Great guns indeed.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I also have my grandfather's Woodsman. A 1937 first model. It was the pistol my uncle taught me to shoot with when I was 10. He gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago. It is a superb shooter.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I always wanted a 4" barrel Match Target, but had to settle with this. Wink Most accurate .22 pistol I own.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely a classic. I don't believe I've ever fired a Colt Woodsman. I knew a guy that's uncle had one and his nephew commit suicide with it. I have a couple nice 22's but there would always be room for one of these Classic Woodman's.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
for the guys with the original boxes, keep them safe and as clean as you can, they usually bring a premium ,
the pistol's serial number should be written on the bottom, in pencil or grease pencil

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post