SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions - Police Trade In 229, 9mm
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions - Police Trade In 229, 9mm Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Boz: I have worked a few times with Gun Envy, including getting some engraving done. Good people and a legit company in a sketchy part of town. I have used them and a Delaware company, D&D Tactical Solutions for inexpensive transfers. D&D is a garage FFL, but trustworthy.

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I can 99.99999% guarantee you that the only thing German about these P229s is the frame. Everything else is US made. And the guns were assembled in SIG NH. So, they are not German made/produced.

Q, do you still have that sequential pair of non-railed exceptions?

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cbunix23 and MeatMan...

Thanks. I will give Velocity Works a look. I will also stop into Gun Mafia's shop as they are literally 2 minutes from my work.

I have not heard the greatest things about Gun Envy, so I am probably going to stay clear of there.

I am now on my hunt for a non-railed, used, P229 in 9mm. Going to start looking at some of the more credible online sellers. I am also going to look very closely at The Classifieds. I may just end up getting 2. 1 nicer used one (probably railed) and 1 I can practice some gunsmithing on. Either way, both with be treated well, but shot often.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
seems to me a 229 is awfully heavy for a 9mm. After all, it was made for the .40

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
quote:
I can 99.99999% guarantee you that the only thing German about these P229s is the frame. Everything else is US made. And the guns were assembled in SIG NH. So, they are not German made/produced.

Yes. And, it all thanks to you. Cool

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
1lowlife...

Wanting the 229 because I have a lot of other Sigs, but not the 229.

Currently, I have:

P6
P220* (rail)
P225*
P226* (rail)
P228* (rail)
P239*
P320 (compact, rail)
P365 (rail)
SP2022* (2 of them, rail)
Sig Mosquito (rail I think)

* Denotes Gray Guns Reduced Reset Comprehensive Duty Package or Action Cleanup Perfection work completed by Gray Guns

I thought I had 2 more, but forgot I dumped an early version of the 238 that went back to Sig 2 times and was never right. Also, I had purchased and dumped an early 224 that I forgot about.

All of these are in 9mm except for the P220

I think I want a non-railed 229. Maybe 1 with and 1 without? Not sure yet.

Thanks...

You don't have a non-railed WG P226 or WG P228?
Blasphemy. Mad

Hope you find what you want, but I see no reason to buy a P229 unless you want 40 or 357sig.
Just my gun snob opinion...YMMV Big Grin

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Looks like Recoil Gunworks has some right now for $500.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
cbunix23 and MeatMan...

Thanks. I will give Velocity Works a look. I will also stop into Gun Mafia's shop as they are literally 2 minutes from my work.

I have not heard the greatest things about Gun Envy, so I am probably going to stay clear of there.

I am now on my hunt for a non-railed, used, P229 in 9mm. Going to start looking at some of the more credible online sellers. I am also going to look very closely at The Classifieds. I may just end up getting 2. 1 nicer used one (probably railed) and 1 I can practice some gunsmithing on. Either way, both with be treated well, but shot often.

A member is selling a railed ANIB 229 in the classifieds section right now for $649 shipped with the box and everything and unfired.

sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/3550098254

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RobC2 and jimmy123x... Thank you.

1lowlife... I would purchase either of those in a heartbeat (or both, I have the cash to put on the table now), but I would have to buy local or from a trusted Sig Forum member as I would need to see (or have honest eyes see) one or both before I would agree to a sale.

In order, I would love a no rail, West German made 228, then the same in 226.

Why does everyone dog the 229? I understand that it may have been developed for the 40 to fill a need for a police service gun, but I was always under the assumption that it was just a 226 with its nose chopped off and beefed up in some spots. I do not have the specs in front of me, but a 9mm 229 can't be that much of a pig, can it?

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not have the specs in front of me, but a 9mm 229 can't be that much of a pig, can it?

Less than three oz difference. About 10% heavier than the 228.

I love both models. 229-1 is one of my favorite guns ever produced.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why does everyone dog the 229? I understand that it may have been developed for the 40 to fill a need for a police service gun, but I was always under the assumption that it was just a 226 with its nose chopped off and beefed up in some spots. I do not have the specs in front of me, but a 9mm 229 can't be that much of a pig, can it?

Everyone? You're looking at one who doesn't care for the P229 in any calibers except the 9mm. Smile

Btw, the P229 was developed for the .40 yes, but its development had nothing to do with the P226. It's not the P226 nose being chopped off, and it's definitely not beefed up in just some spots. Its slide manufacturing process was entirely new at the time, a one-piece machined stainless steel construction that could withstand the much higher pressure of the .40 round. Before this, it was just the old folded/stamped 2-piece carbon steel slide SIGs that shoot the 9mm and the .45. The folded slide is not strong enough for .40.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
quote:

Yes. And, it all thanks to you. Cool

Sweet! Always like seeing that awesome pair.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Everyone? You're looking at one who doesn't care for the P229 in any calibers except the 9mm. Smile

Btw, the P229 was developed for the .40 yes, but its development had nothing to do with the P226. It's not the P226 nose being chopped off, and it's definitely not beefed up in just some spots. Its slide manufacturing process was entirely new at the time, a one-piece machined stainless steel construction that could withstand the much higher pressure of the .40 round. Before this, it was just the old folded/stamped 2-piece carbon steel slide SIGs that shoot the 9mm and the .45. The folded slide is not strong enough for .40.

This kind of wisdom and knowledge is what makes this a really great forum! Thanks for sharing your SIG knowledge!

I have been registered for a long time and have very few posts. Most of my activity here has been reading posts from others during my work breaks and lunch. Well now that I have retired, I hope to share a bit more and do less creeping.

Beware the man who has only one gun------He is gonna be crabby as heck cause all his friends have more.

Posts: 78 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Q...

Thank you.

I love my Sigs, but have not taken the time to learn all of the history of the various guns. For the past 10 or so years, I just been buying them, shooting them and enjoying them.

I now want to learn more about them, how they work, why they are designed the way they are, etc. This is why the older, used Sigs are now on my radar.

The reason for the 229 is so that I can have 1 of each of the "classic" Sig pistols.

The no rail 228 and 226 are in my future, but I need to learn more about them before I throw down hard earned money on what may not possibly be that great of a buy.

As of today though, I have the cash in my gun fund to throw down good money if a good example of either become available to me.

Work has been a little crazy the last few days, so I have not started my search on the gun boards yet. That will begin tomorrow night.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bozman,

The "Boz"

posted Hide Post
I just purchased a used 229 in 9mm for $399.00. Came with 2 10 round magazines. Put 100 rounds through it with no problems and more than acceptable accuracy. I had seen two used 229's in the past few weeks, one for $550 and the other for $485 and when I looked at the one I did buy I found it in good condition and am very happy with the purchase. Keep looking.

Posts: 2 | Registered: February 23, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post