SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Heritage Rough Rider .22 revolver. Anyone ever changed barrels?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heritage Rough Rider .22 revolver. Anyone ever changed barrels? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I have one with a 6.5" barrel but would like a shorter one. I see barrels for these pistols for sale on ebay. I would like a 4.75" barrel for mine.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
At $119 (new) locally I can’t see the point.

I’m considering the shorter barreled one myself and giving this one to my old radio operator to chase cans with.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I agree but a barrel is just $30. I thought I’d see if anyone had tried it.

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
At $119 (new) locally I can’t see the point.

I’m considering the shorter barreled one myself and giving this one to my old radio operator to chase cans with.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My suspicion is that the mystery metal frame on those is kind of soft and that the “micro threaded” barrel (as Heritage puts it) may have a tendency to strip the threads out of the frame if removal is attempted. Heritage refuses to change barrel length on the guns, citing some bullshit about how it would supposedly be a vioation of federal law to do so.

From their website FAQ:
“No, because your Rough Rider was registered to you with a certain barrel length and serial number. BATF maintains this information and it cannot be altered. If a barrel length is changed, then a new serial number and new registration must follow. This is a lengthy and costly procedure. We do not sell Barrels and Frames to consumers or dealers.”

If you try it, let us know how it works out.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Knowing the frames are basically pot metal, I can't imagine they are going to take much stress when it comes to removing and installing a new barrel. They were one of the brands (besides a full cleaning) I wouldn't touch when I did gunsmithing full time.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The statement from Heritage is a blatant lie.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
At $119 (new) locally I can’t see the point

This.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I refinished mine but stopped at removing the barrel as I didn’t want to risk destroying the zmak (?) frame.
I got this one for $50 from one of the officers I work with to remove a raccoon from the addition I was putting on. That was 20yrs ago.
I think I’ve gotten my $50 out of it.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I think cutting the barrel down to the desired length would be easier and more cost effective. I'm not sure how the front sight is secured on the Rough Rider - perhaps a bit of silver soldier. Good luck.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree I can picture the frame breaking when you start putting pressure on the barrel. I'd just buy another with a shorter barrel.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
if you decide to do it,

mount the barrel in a vice, and cut a piece of oak the proper dimensions of the cylinder opening on the frame,

that's how Colt's etc are done, (or done by those I know that have done it,)

if it breaks,, you ain't out much

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a recipe for a disaster. Just buy a 4.75". My favorite is my 3.5" with a bird's head grip and magnum cylinder.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions. While I would like
to try, you guys are right, I will just get another one. I like the idea of the 3.77 with birds eye grips in magnum. That would be a great woods carry gun here in Indiana. I wonder if I can get it in a 9 shot?

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
The statement from Heritage is a blatant lie.

Yeah. It’s kind of insulting. I guess they figure most of their customers will go for it.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
... Heritage refuses to change barrel length on the guns, citing some bullshit about how it would supposedly be a vioation of federal law to do so.

From their website FAQ:
“No, because your Rough Rider was registered to you with a certain barrel length and serial number. BATF maintains this information and it cannot be altered. If a barrel length is changed, then a new serial number and new registration must follow. This is a lengthy and costly procedure. We do not sell Barrels and Frames to consumers or dealers.”

I know a gunsmith facing 20 years in the electric chair. I know for a fact that outlaw has changed barrels on a number of handguns and rifles without redoing the serial numbers!

I wonder if Heritage is actually that stupid.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post