SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picking up a new, Custom Colt Commander this week
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picking up a new, Custom Colt Commander this week Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
I would say tomorrow, but I'm figuring that the bank will be closed for MLK Day.

My gunsmith has put together a custom Colt combat commander that I just can't live without.

He took it in and converted it from Series 80 to Series 70. Full action job and trigger replacement. Added a Bobtail cut and stippled the front grip and front of trigger guard. Full sized recoil rod, Night sites with a ghost ring rear. Thin grips and bushings. Probably more that I am forgetting.

I can't wait to post pictures and shoot it!

I just put 2 magazines through it without incident. Shoots great!

Photo Jan 16, 1 58 36 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Photo Jan 16, 1 59 08 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Photo Jan 16, 1 59 45 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Photo Jan 16, 1 59 57 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Photo Jan 16, 2 00 43 PM by DaveSteier, on Flickr

Photo Jan 16, 2 00 52 PM by Dave Steier, on Flickr

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rolan_Kraps,

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Dang. That makes for a loooong wait and much anticipation.

By the time the bank opens, you'll swear it took two weeks! (tick tick tick...)

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
What a tease. Mad

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always been a fan of the Colt Commanders, even though I shoot better with the full-sized 1911's. It's too bad that Colt couldn't get the original Series 70 collet bushing to work with the shorter barrel. For carrying, though, a Commander is great! Congratulations, and I'm looking forward to your pictures!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I can hardly wait to see it.

My very first gun purchase at age 15 was a used Satin Combat Commander, .45. I wish I had it back.

I recently bought a Combat Commander and really like it.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
stippled the front grip and front of trigger guard.

Sounds like a nice Commander headed your way. I have always been a fan of stippling (vs checkering). It is an "in between" that is sort of like metal skateboard tape. When Don Williams did 3 1911's for me (over a period of years), I always had him provide a plain MSH that he stippled just like the front strap.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congrats and looking forward to pics and a range report!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see it. I bet she will be a beauty.

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have an Ed Brown Commander sized 1911 in .45 acp. The "bob" treatment to the rear of the frame really makes the gun.

Looking forward to photos!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new C Commander. I have owned my LW Commander since early 1970s(purchased new), and would never consider letting it go.....enjoy!!

Posts: 6613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
OK, the photos are in the original post.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
That is BEAUTIFUL.

Congratulations.

I notice the right side of the slide is marked Combat Commander Model. However, the left side is marked Commander.

Damn, the more I look at it them more I like it.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the way he undercut it and the front strap treatment looks really grippy without being too abrasive. Did they take some off the front strap as well reducing it? Great looking piece.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Congrats Rolan, looks like many years of fun are ahead with that beauty! Bobtails have a special feel to them in hand, they're hard to put down Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Wow. That is very nice!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks nice..did you have it "accurized" by hard fitting slide to frame and replacing it with a match barrel ? Or mainly just did cosmetic enhancements?
Too bad the thumb safety was not fitted well to blend with frame radius and the beavertail also has big gaps and did not blend with the frame...hope yo can still bring it back to your gunsmith...if im not mistaken its a Colt XSE right?

Posts: 254 | Location: Manila, philippines | Registered: January 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perrinyanna:
Looks nice..did you have it "accurized" by hard fitting slide to frame and replacing it with a match barrel ? Or mainly just did cosmetic enhancements?
Too bad the thumb safety was not fitted well to blend with frame radius and the beavertail also has big gaps and did not blend with the frame...hope yo can still bring it back to your gunsmith...if im not mistaken its a Colt XSE right?

Damn that's colder than a cheating whores heart.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of the rear sight...But REALLY like it otherwise. You did very well.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I'm going to need to borrow that...

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post