SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    RMR guys, question about iron backups
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RMR guys, question about iron backups Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
Do you like cowitnessing iron sights?

I find them to just get in the way of the sight picture. I’m always putting the dot right on the front sight anyways, so I don’t see the point of having the RMR.

I’m thinking about going no irons and just the RMR. I think that will work better. On my rifles, I always go with folding irons so they don’t get in my sight picture with red dots.

Does anyone else do this? Any down side?

I get that if the RMR goes down I don’t have any sights, but I can shoot the center of the window well enough.

Thoughts?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Sounds reasonable to me.
My RMR'd guns have irons that are plain black, so I hardly notice them. But when the RMR goes down, I'm still able to use the irons easily. As long as the shooting situation isn't too dark where I would need tritiums but that's what the light is for.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turn the dot off and see how far you can go while still getting decent hits. I know very dedicated and strong optic shooters who don't like their results with optic window alone past 15 yards, and I've seen dots go out in matches mid stage with disastrous results. I prefer irons on those guns, very strongly prefer to have rear in front of optic for several reasons and don't particularly care for true co-witness. Just something to have a reasonable reference.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Yeah I like rear in front of optic too. I think it's because when aligned through the window, you lose the depth of field that is distracting with irons behind the optic.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like them cowitnessed no matter what the platform. But I do like something I can use when the dot goes away. Rifle or pistol I want that in the lower part of the window and then it doesn't bother me in the least. Don't even notice it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If the dot dies and you have to shift to irons, you'd have to move your head relative to the pistol anyway. Maybe cowitness isn't as big a deal with pistols as it would be with rifles?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Got a Glock 21 that I couldn't leave alone. Put a red dot on it. Worked so well I took the irons off.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I don’t even notice the backup Sights anymore. All 7 of my optic equipped pistols have co-witness Sights. If this is for a Glock Ameriglo makes a front suppressor sight that’s plain black and super thin. That might help as it doesn’t chew up much of the viewing window.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Took the sights off my Glock 35. I can point shoot it just fine at 75 feet (length of basement range) in a self defense situation.

Didn't like the Trijicon RMR. Thinking about a JP or Holoson.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NoQuota
posted Hide Post
I'm with you, the rear sight in particular bothered me big time.

I felt it completely obscured the sight picture.

So I took it off.

I bought a plain black Ameriglo front sight that co witnesses perfect, if I turn off the RMR I can use the front sight, using the RMR like an oversized ghost ring.

And just like agony stated, in the dark the WML works better (for me) than night sights with the RMR, you need a dual adjustable one though.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posts: 597 | Location: St Augustine, FL | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I don't look at the sights and don't notice the sights. Look at the target, dot on the target, press.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Long before the days of optical handgun sights, I had noticed that high front sights tend to acquire dents and dings, and to snag on things. I used an RMR on a G19 MOS to test the concept of an optic on a handgun, and very nearly installed a set of suppressor-height sights, but then, decided to leave them in their package. I believe that I would rather point-shoot if the optic malfunctions, than trust what might be a bent sight, because whatever broke the optic may have also bent the front sight, anyway.

Another reason I decided not to install the high irons is because I believe the most-likely “failure” of a small reflex sight to be the horribly sticky black clay “gumbo” soil we have here, along the upper Texas coastal prairie. A bullet strike in this sticky mess will spray small bits of clay all over everything. If I cannot see through the window, the front iron sight is useless, anyway.

Even though now retired from LEO-ing, I still tend to carry a Texas Ranger Reload, a.k.a. Gun Junior, a.k.a. New York Reload. (Texas Rangers were carrying multiple revolving pistols before Texas was a state.)

My next optic, to be mounted on a G17 soon, is an Aimpoint Micro T1 or T2, using an ALG 6-Second Mount. Irons are not readily compatible with this set-up.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I like the dot because I don't have to allign anything. I still keep the irons and co witness because that's what works for me.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
I have the RX with the suppressor sights and Romeo 1 and I also have a P320 X5 which has no rear sight when the Romeo is installed. I don't really notice the difference when shooting either configuration.

I don't co-witness the RX but I still like having the iron sights as a back up. I have found that it didn't take long for my brain to totally ignore the iron sights and to fully focus the red dot on the target. I haven't noticed any visual hindrance when looking through the Romeo with the rear suppressor sight installed.

I'd give it some more range time before you decide to take off your sights if you plan on using it for self defense.

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post