SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Best Self-Defense ammo for 10.5" AR pistol?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Self-Defense ammo for 10.5" AR pistol? Login/Join 
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted
I would like to hear recommendations for good self-defense 5.56/.223 carry ammo in a 10.5" AR pistol.

My preference would be something in 55 grain so I could use cheaper 55gr. ball to practice with.

Ideally, this ammo would have good performance around windshields and other common barriers.

Also, would like the ammo to be fairly easy to acquire, not super-rare unobtainium ammo.

Any links/articles/reviews/YouTube videos you can suggest on this topic are appreciated as well.

Thanks!

~i8mtm

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
No videos and not your weight but I’ve tested Hornady TAP SBR 75gr on cars and we liked it and made it our duty round for those of us with 10.5”. We use their 62gr barrier round for the 14.5-16” rifles.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I like the Nosler 64gr Defense Bonded Solid Base from MK18 typed platforms

Posts: 13811 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Hornaday TAP.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good performing and easy to find would be Federal Fusion 62g bonded soft points. It is what I have for my 10.5" The difference in 62g and 55g for practice isn't going to matter.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree... Hornady Tap 75gr. Excellent performance.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
The AR15.com Youtube channel has extensive gel testing of many .223/5.56 loads of all sorts. Much of that testing is done from short barrels (though I feel like he uses an 11.5" more often).

It's a very good resource.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be concerned about velocity with the heavier rounds. I would consider 55 grain Gold Dot. Pretty reasonably priced, decent performance, and obviously the same weight as cheap practice stuff.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by i8mtm:
I would like to hear recommendations for good self-defense 5.56/.223 carry ammo in a 10.5" AR pistol.

My preference would be something in 55 grain so I could use cheaper 55gr. ball to practice with.

There are some good load options. As noted above Hornady 75, Nosler 64, Fusion 62, Gold Dots, probably most rounds designed for hunting game.

Don't fret over practicing with different weight bullets. Point of impact with virtually all 223 ammo for a AR sighted in at 100 yards will still be vary near the 100 yard zero. Your pistol will be shooting at distances less than 100 yards, therefore any point of impact shift from one load to the next will be unnoticeable. Your own shooting technique will make more difference in accuracy than the loads.

Recoil will be about the same from any 223 load. Velocity will vary from load to load, and will be higher with lighter bullets -- but it won't make any difference for the distances you will be using.

Well, unless you think you will be shooting at small targets of 500 yards or more...

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by i8mtm:

There are some good load options. As noted above Hornady 75, Nosler 64, Fusion 62, Gold Dots, probably most rounds designed for hunting game.

Don't fret over practicing with different weight bullets. Point of impact with virtually all 223 ammo for a AR sighted in at 100 yards will still be vary near the 100 yard zero. Your pistol will be shooting at distances less than 100 yards, therefore any point of impact shift from one load to the next will be unnoticeable. Your own shooting technique will make more difference in accuracy than the loads.

Recoil will be about the same from any 223 load. Velocity will vary from load to load, and will be higher with lighter bullets -- but it won't make any difference for the distances you will be using.

Well, unless you think you will be shooting at small targets of 500 yards or more...

All good choices...OP what’s your twist rate? That’s as key to the right round as barrel length. My 11.5” 1/7 gets the 62 gr. Fusion MSR’s, my 14.5” 1/7 gets the Mk262’s (because that’s what I have, I’d like some of the 75 gr. Gold Dots), and my 16” 1/9 gets the 55 gr. Gold Dots. I’d be equally happy with Rangers, TAP or the hard to find 6? Gr. FBI TBBC.

West German P228 (first duty weapon)
GOTM Nickel P229

Posts: 79 | Location: NC | Registered: March 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Good performing and easy to find would be Federal Fusion 62g bonded soft points. It is what I have for my 10.5" The difference in 62g and 55g for practice isn't going to matter.

Yeah. Fusions have great terminals in a short barrel.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The TAP hasn't faired well in actual shootings. Matter of fact, it doesn't do very well at all. The TAP Barrier is fantastic. We issued the TAP for a long time but the performance was pretty poor. We then bought TAP Barrier and the Federal T1. Both are great loads out of 10 inch HK 416s.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, good info!

FYI my twist rate is 1/7. I am going to check out your suggestions.

Cheers,

~i8mtm

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post