SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock...I can’t quit you.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock...I can’t quit you. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
......You see, it's like this, when I carry a gun for self defense I demand that it function under all conditions, regardless of weather, is it clean or not, or is it well lubed. Glocks just can not be beat in the pistol arena for utter reliability.

This, to the Nth degree. I'm no fanbois, but when I don't want to wonder, Glock is the way to go.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I’m down to four Glocks. One of them is issued. Once I retire, I may never pick one up again.

Is there a main reason you feel this way? Just something else you like better, or something inherent in the Glock that you don't like?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
When the M&P 2.0 came out, I was an immediate fan. I jumped on that train pretty hard and I think I have all of them (excluding the .40 cal). I much prefer the grip of the 2.0 to my Glocks. I actually like the Glock trigger better, but I learned the M&P. I can even shoot the M&P a little better than a similar sized Glock. Not much, but ever so slightly better. I also hate when a slam a mag home in a Glock and it drops the slide; 2.0’s don’t do that.

Having said all that, I still find myself liking my glocks. I don’t get it? I don’t know if it’s the simplicity that draws me to them? The mags that seem to be everywhere? I can’t explain it and makes no sense to me.

Anyone else have this issue? I don’t find them “cool looking” or anything. I think it’s just something about the simplicity that appreciate/dig. It’s weird.

I have this issue. I get it. It is definitely weird. To show you how much I need therapy, I actually feel like I'm "cheating on my Glocks" when I wear my P226 or P228.

For me, I think it comes back to low cost, simplicity AND reliability, especially the latter. I bought my first one, a Gen 2 G17, back in 1992. It was flawless. This has repeated itself over and over again with the dozen or so I've owned since then in all calibers. Plus, I've carried one on duty for most of the last 25 years, and I just know that the gun will work when I need it.

Last week, I had both my P226 and G34 taken apart and was cleaning them side by side. I've been a Glock armorer for years, but when I had that G34 apart side by side with my P226, it was just reinforced to me how much simpler the Glock is, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm going to keep carrying my P226, as I've devoted myself to it this winter, but I still love my Glocks. A G45 9mm and Gen 5 G19 MOS FS are next on the bankruptcy parade.

There's no reason why you can't like steak AND cheesecake.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Nothing else has been 'that good' that I can toss aside a compact Glock. I shoot and have owned many but always come home to and been rooted with Glocks. As it should and always will be. Plus I've been with Glocks so long now that I don't truly feel the wanderlust to invite change any more. There's that own sense of belonging after being with something for that amount of time. Sometimes it just IS right.

As much as I've been smitten by the VP9/40, they've never honestly tempted me to want to switch allegiance at this point of my life. Ten years ago...perhaps. Well, maybe. But not today. Same with the M&P 2.0, had it been the 1.0 back then. But not now. Those are the closest types to warm my cold, cold, dark Glock heart. But just not close enough.

The real Dark Path still rules. Forever it has dominated my destiny. An' it don git any betta dan dat. Smile

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
When we transitioned from S&W over to the G22 and two years later to the G19 I decided to pickup a few Glocks for personal carry.

Hated the grip angle & Glock knuckle.
Not a huge fan of the trigger.
But after undercutting the trigger guards I realized they felt 100% better in my hand.
Swapping the trigger to a semi flat has made me actually love my Glocks.
I shoot the stock issued Glocks fine but absolutely prefer my personal setup.

And they can look cool without going to far over the top !

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
And I have NEVER been able to jump onboard with the system. I can appreciate the durability and quality, etc. But don't care for the "feel" (I know...subjective) or especially the ergos.

A 1911 feels just right, same for the 229/226 SIG's. Thankfully I never HAD to carry one. Missed the Glock boat all three times we changed Agency firearms.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I just couldn’t seem to keep Glocks. They look good on paper, and are great guns, but they feel like a boot full of Lego’s to me. I think I’m finally over the impulse though, as I haven’t purchased one in several years.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
After decades of effort to like em, just never adapted enough to become either comfortable OR accurate enough. Yes they have sterling qualities. Yes had to switch to other marques.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
First I have to say I LOVE all my Sigs. But, I now have 3 Glocks, having just bought a G19X in October (the BX had it on sale and of course, no sales tax). I was very pleased with how accurately it shoots, but not surprised. My Gen 3 G23 and Gen 4 G19 are both very accurate also, but the G17 frame with the G19 slide seems about perfect. If Glock puts a G23 slide on a G22 frame, I'll be in line for one.

Having said that, though, I also find myself very infatuated with CZ. Last February I picked up a CZ-75 B Omega Convertible that not only feels perfect in my hand, but also shoots very accurately with very little felt recoil. It's on my side right now. About a week ago I was in a LGS and they had a Shadow 2 Black on sale for $1025; it was all I could do to resist whipping out my credit card. As with every CZ I've ever held, it was made for my hand. But I digress...

Mentally and emotionally I prefer my Sigs; but I shoot the Glocks so well that I can't shake them either.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
I’m down to four Glocks. One of them is issued. Once I retire, I may never pick one up again.

Is there a main reason you feel this way? Just something else you like better, or something inherent in the Glock that you don't like?

I’m sure he will respond but “feel” and he is better with a Sig DA/SA.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
quote:

Actually, taking the DA/SA out of the equation, it doesn't "do" anything better than a P320, 2.0, VP9, or most of the modern striker fired offerings.

In some cases it does a lot of things worse than the other offerings. I've never observed any other pistol out there where you have to hold it a certain way, or use "MORE FINGER" to get the gun to shoot point of aim, point of impact for most shooters. The Glock is absolutely HORRIBLE when it comes to screw ups if the grip isn't absolutely perfect. Youtube is filled with "fixes" for this grip issue, to include the video that I have.

The guns just aren't all that accurate. The new "marksman" barrel is better, but the design of the pistol limits the accuracy that you can get out of it. This will cause the fanboys a shit fit, I know. But, in the best hands in the world, you never see Glock's win in accuracy sports like NRA Action Pistol. Since I have been involved in NRA Action Pistol, I can count on one hand the number of Glocks that made the top 10 at Bianchi, or any other major sanctioned match.

You hear a lot of people claim the Glocks are "combat accurate", and that this or that special forces unit uses them, but that is under one or two parameters. The first is green SOF units that use the pistol as a secondary, and they spend their time at the 5 yard line in a very rigid stance and bang out all kinds of stuff using a whole lot of muscle. The second is the black SOF units that have healthy budgets and they spend a ton of money on customization. CAG was the first unit to field Glock 22s, and their story was kind of neat. They were on their first deployments over seas in the early days of the GWOT. They deployed a lot with a contingent from FBI HRT. They got to noticing that their high end 1911s weren't working with all of the fine sand. HRT started bringing Glock 22s on deployment because they would work. CAG was deploying with them, so they purchased 2000 Glock 22s and ran off of HRTs support pallet. LAV talked about the obscene amount of money that the unit armorers spent trying to get the guns up to their "speed" with decent accuracy, and triggers.

A lot of people will mention how Glocks fair well in USPSA and IDPA. True, but those guns at least have trigger work and an aftermarket barrel. And neither sport is really accuracy heavy. No 10 ring stuff at all.

I just think that the Glock does not "do" anything better than the P320s or 2.0s. The P320s and 2.0s are really tolerant to bad grip inputs. The P320 you can hold it any old way and it doesn't care. The P320 is super accurate. I place the stock 2.0 behind the 320 in the accuracy department with the Gen5 coming in third. The real sleeper is the 2.0 3.6 inch gun. Wow.

So, why bother? I have about 15k through my Gen5 work gun, and it just got its first detail strip a couple of weeks ago. The parts wear is no better or worse than previous generations, but the "marksman" barrel doesn't group as well at 25 or 50 that it did when I got the gun in March.

If you like your Glock, you can keep your Glock. But, they are just a choice, among a lot of choices on the market.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
A bit over 8 years ago, when I became a reserve cop, I needed a backup gun. My wife let me buy a Gen 3 G26 with Trijicon night sights, which I got by taking advantage of the Blue Label pricing offered by a local dealer. It's still the only Glock I own, but it rapidly replaced my carry gun and became a full-time companion on and off duty.

The G26 is the perfect every-day sidearm for me. It shoots as well as a full-size (I regularly would outscore my P229 duty gun with it by a few points on qualifications), yet conceals easily iwb or on my ankle. I carry it with the factory baseplate (never liked the pinky extensions), but can throw a G17 mag in my pocket as a spare. I am 100% confident that it will function when needed, even if I'm thousands of miles from home on vacation and it's the only weapon I have along. And because it's already a fugly brick, I don't worry about finish wear or other damage from the vagaries of daily carry...yet after being on my person every day for 8 years, it shows remarkably little wear.

About 2 years ago, after I went full-time, my dept transitioned away from the P229 to the P320 as a duty gun. I've put thousands of rounds through mine without any issues. Imo the P320 is what Glock should have been from the beginning. The grip is better, the modularity is ingenious, and the trigger is not even a comparison.

I carried the Glock as a backup until recently when they decided we should be carrying issued backups and bought us P365s (I'd have preferred a P320SC, but didn't get to choose). I carry the 365 as a backup on duty, but not for anything else. I have no problem qualifying with it, but find it a bit too small to shoot comfortably, and I don't have the same confidence in it as I do my Glock. Off-duty, the G26 is still my carry gun of choice 90% of the time.

Back when I bought the G26 I owned 4 handguns, so my options were pretty limited. These days I am having trouble figuring out where to store all the ones I own. Out of all them, the G26 is still the one I bring when I leave on a two week cross-country vacation and can only bring one gun. I think that says a lot.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually, taking the DA/SA out of the equation, it doesn't "do" anything better than a P320, 2.0, VP9, or most of the modern striker fired offerings.

In some cases it does a lot of things worse than the other offerings. I've never observed any other pistol out there where you have to hold it a certain way, or use "MORE FINGER" to get the gun to shoot point of aim, point of impact for most shooters. The Glock is absolutely HORRIBLE when it comes to screw ups if the grip isn't absolutely perfect. Youtube is filled with "fixes" for this grip issue, to include the video that I have.

The guns just aren't all that accurate. The new "marksman" barrel is better, but the design of the pistol limits the accuracy that you can get out of it. This will cause the fanboys a shit fit, I know. But, in the best hands in the world, you never see Glock's win in accuracy sports like NRA Action Pistol. Since I have been involved in NRA Action Pistol, I can count on one hand the number of Glocks that made the top 10 at Bianchi, or any other major sanctioned match.

You hear a lot of people claim the Glocks are "combat accurate", and that this or that special forces unit uses them, but that is under one or two parameters. The first is green SOF units that use the pistol as a secondary, and they spend their time at the 5 yard line in a very rigid stance and bang out all kinds of stuff using a whole lot of muscle. The second is the black SOF units that have healthy budgets and they spend a ton of money on customization. CAG was the first unit to field Glock 22s, and their story was kind of neat. They were on their first deployments over seas in the early days of the GWOT. They deployed a lot with a contingent from FBI HRT. They got to noticing that their high end 1911s weren't working with all of the fine sand. HRT started bringing Glock 22s on deployment because they would work. CAG was deploying with them, so they purchased 2000 Glock 22s and ran off of HRTs support pallet. LAV talked about the obscene amount of money that the unit armorers spent trying to get the guns up to their "speed" with decent accuracy, and triggers.

A lot of people will mention how Glocks fair well in USPSA and IDPA. True, but those guns at least have trigger work and an aftermarket barrel. And neither sport is really accuracy heavy. No 10 ring stuff at all.

I just think that the Glock does not "do" anything better than the P320s or 2.0s. The P320s and 2.0s are really tolerant to bad grip inputs. The P320 you can hold it any old way and it doesn't care. The P320 is super accurate. I place the stock 2.0 behind the 320 in the accuracy department with the Gen5 coming in third. The real sleeper is the 2.0 3.6 inch gun. Wow.

So, why bother? I have about 15k through my Gen5 work gun, and it just got its first detail strip a couple of weeks ago. The parts wear is no better or worse than previous generations, but the "marksman" barrel doesn't group as well at 25 or 50 that it did when I got the gun in March.

If you like your Glock, you can keep your Glock. But, they are just a choice, among a lot of choices on the market.

Yep, kind of like the old cliché about everyone having opinions. Wink

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks. In the past you had spoken very highly of your Glocks, so I was curious why you felt like it was time to leave them. sounds like others have just surpassed them over time for you.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks. In the past you had spoken very highly of your Glocks, so I was curious why you felt like it was time to leave them. sounds like others have just surpassed them over time for you.

They are still very reliable and great guns. I have truly lost track of how many rounds I have through Glocks over the last 12 years. It's a bunch. And there truly is no way to know how many rounds I have watched go down range in the last 12 years from Glocks. Has to be close to a million.

The season has just passed for me.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've never observed any other pistol out there where you have to hold it a certain way, or use "MORE FINGER" to get the gun to shoot point of aim, point of impact for most shooters. The Glock is absolutely HORRIBLE when it comes to screw ups if the grip isn't absolutely perfect.

Have you considered this to be of value as a development tool to a dedicated shooter? I don't have any experience with other poly strikers to have an opinion about relative forgiveness of each brand but I agree that Glocks are pretty demanding.
I can't put mine down since the summer time, coming off years with Tanfoglios and CZs, because of that. I was just talking about it with two local GMs during my last match. It's like a binary code, mess one thing - get immediate negative feedback from your sights, or dot in my case, do everything right - get immediate positive feedback. I love it. Fortunately, my relative performance didn't drop, I am shooting the same %% in CO classifiers with my 19x as I was in Production with my Shadow 2. Otherwise, I may have felt differently.

P.S. My 19x remains a 3 inch gun at 25 yards, freestyle, through 8000 rounds. I should shoot it off bags, but I just don't shoot guns off bags.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post