SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger LCR: Anyone Have One?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger LCR: Anyone Have One? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have a LCR they carry? What are your thoughts on it?

I have one and carry one quite a bit because it is so light and easy to carry/conceal.
I also carry a HK USP Compact 45 too sometimes both or keep the HK in my briefcase.

As to the Ruger it carries well but I hate shooting it.

It does not handle recoil well and it would be GTG mostly in very close quarters or a backup gun.
I am rethinking my lightweight carry situation.
Considering a HP P30SK or P2000SK at this time.
YMMV

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we moved out to AZ, I bought one with the 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights.
Very light, almost don't know I have it. Kinda a walking the dog in the desert gun. I load 2 shot shells and 3 wadcutters. Haven't run into a snake yet though.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one when my LGS put them on sale. Mine is the 38 +P version but I can't imagine shooting +P in one. People here have referred to the recoil as "snappy". How about painful ? I'm 6 ft and 200 lb and can shoot a .45 1911 all day long but two rounds from my LCR and I'm ready to quit. The factory Hogue grips as well as a second pair did not help, nor did trying wadcutters and cowboy loads. It's tolerable with Pachmayrs but they are larger than the Hogues so not as concealable.
I have a 442 airweight with thin wood grips that bothers me not at all. Maybe it's me but I wish I hadn't bought it.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like mine, it's a .38 DA. I miss having SA capability.

When the price comes down, I will be getting an LCRx in .327 Magnum.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to the Ruger it carries well but I hate shooting it.

I have to agree. Carry it front pocket holster. I wish I had gotten the 357 so I could run 38 through it. It has the most harsh recoil of any guns I have including 44 magnum revolvers. Of course those revolvers are much heavier.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree on the excessive recoil. My J frame 442 with boot grip is more pleasant to shoot than the 38 LCR.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to know I'm not the only one. Sure, I could have got the steel-framed .357 but it cancels the weight advantage of the alloy frame. If S&W can design a .45 Shield that recoils hardly at all, then I think Ruger should have put a little more R&D into the LCR. My only consolation is to tell myself, that if I ever have to use it for self defense, I probably won't notice the recoil but a range gun, it is not .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife is on her last carry pistol. Going thru over ten different pistols in the last 20 years her LCRX is in the safe and her carry is now an M&P EZ 380.I am back into revolvers again after over 20 years being without. Here are my latest.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
The 3" LCRx is my wife's daily carry.

I carry the LCRx 2" when I walk the dogs. First two cylinders loaded with snake shot, the other 3 with 158's.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:
I agree on the excessive recoil. My J frame 442 with boot grip is more pleasant to shoot than the 38 LCR.

That's interesting. I owned a 442 around 9-10 years ago and shot a rental LCR when they first came out and I thought the LCR had a more tame recoil than the 442. I guess felt recoil is subjective?

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post