SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger LCR: Anyone Have One?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger LCR: Anyone Have One? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I suddenly have a strong hankering again for a little .38 wheelgun. I had a S&W 442 around 10 years ago and sold/traded it and have fired the Ruger LCR .38 several times and was really wowed by the smooth trigger and just how well put together it was.

Does anyone have a LCR they carry? What are your thoughts on it?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From a S&W junkie who carried a 637 for many years - the LCR is an improvement.
No reservations about them.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I had one for a while. Like you have mentioned, great trigger (also from someone who has owned many different snubbies over the years). A snappy gun, my practice session with it were only 25 rounds or so at a time.

I ended up selling it and I now have a S&W Model 38 Bodyguard (no-lock).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of geebo
posted Hide Post
A nice little gun with a nice trigger. We bought it for my wife in .38 Special and it was just a little too snappy for her so we got her something different and sold the LCR. But it would make a great carry gun for someone that didn't mind how it shoots.

Posts: 32 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: March 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a .38 LCR but I've had a .22 version for several years. It's been 100% reliable - which is saying something for a .22. I have a couple of 442's but I actually like the trigger on the LCR better (and I think the .22 version has a stiffer trigger than the .38's). It's a small point, but I like the fact that Ruger reinforces the frame in the recoil shield area with a steel insert.

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
From a S&W junkie who carried a 637 for many years - the LCR is an improvement.
No reservations about them.

I agree 100% with dusty. I never liked the trigger on my Smith, but the LCR is a huge improvement, and it is lighter as well.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
LCR = GTG

5 Star makes excellent speedloaders for them.

Affordable too.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
When out in the countryside, I keep one loaded mostly with snakeshot for dealing with poisonous snakes. It is snappy with +P loads, but with standard pressure rounds, it shoots better for me. I agree that the trigger on the LCR is smooth and easy to pull.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fear No Beer
Picture of K9346
posted Hide Post
Is the LCR as pocketable as the Smith j frames?

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Die, You are forgiven. If I Live, I will kill you." Such is the Rule of Honor.

Posts: 2179 | Location: Back in Ok, finally | Registered: September 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used one as my BUG since the .357 came out. While I use .38+P loads, I like the slightly larger .357. The Hogue Tamer grips suck up recoil pretty well for any standard pressure or +P load, and magnum loads are reasonable up to 125gr. Full house 158gr magnum loads are too much recoil to be practical, IMO.

The front sight is pinned in place and easy to replace with just a punch and mallet. Swapping on a high visibility front sight helps with faster sight acquisition.

The trigger is smooth and doesn't have excessive stacking. The cam'd design pays off in this regard.

As far as accuracy, I have no problems holding 5 shots in a 2" circle at 7y.

I don't know what sort of longevity you can expect, but I've got several thousand rounds through mine, but less than 100 were .357 magnum. About 200 .38+P and then thousands of my own .38 wadcutter practice loads.

I've only had to use it outside of practice once. A pitbull announced it's presence by biting my strong side forearm. I was able to access my LCR and shoot it in the chest with a 130gr PDX-1, which worked as advertised and kept me from being further injured.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by geebo:
A nice little gun with a nice trigger. We bought it for my wife in .38 Special and it was just a little too snappy for her so we got her something different and sold the LCR. But it would make a great carry gun for someone that didn't mind how it shoots.

Have you considered the LCR-22 for her? I know it's "just a 22", but it's 8 rds in a gun she'd be comfortable shooting.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 357 LCR and carry it quite often. Yes,it's a handful with most 357 ammo and about once a year I put a few rounds of full house 357 thru it just to remind me why I keep it loaded with 38 +P stuff. For me at least, it conceals and shoots better than some of the J frames I've had.
Very pleased with this revolver.

Posts: 167 | Location: Central Florida-Behind the orange safety cones | Registered: July 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I have one. I prefer shooting it over a J-frame. For me the felt recoil is not nearly as sharp and snappy as the alloy S&W. Only downside is that it's slightly larger in size...and it's kinda homely. But I carry a Glock so I'm used to it. Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I bought one for my wife. She does fine with standard pressure 38 SPC. Excellent trigger!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have 1 in 22LR first handgun and CCW, and 2 in 22 WMR. I carry the 22 WMR as a BUG. Medical issues prevent me from carrying the 38 Spec. I have shot the .38 Special. Snappy as expected with such a light gun but nice to carry and reliable. Great aesthetics also.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
They are nice but larger than a S&W J-frame with boot grips.

Nice trigger, usable for IWB carry but not really pocket or ankle carry for me (which is all I use a J-frame for).

Wife likes hers for the trigger and the simple revolver manual of arms.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
I recently got into a “revolver phase”, bought several Smith J frames, the new Colt Cobra and an LCR in 327 Federal Magnum. I bought the 327 rather than 38 or 357 because in LCR version it holds 6 rounds versus 5. At the range the 327 Federal Magnum in 85gr Federal and 100gr Speer proved too hot for me to handle. Subsequently I learned that theLCR would also chamber 32 H&R Magnum and 38 S&w Long. Federal actually makes two loads in 32 H&R Magnum. I tried both and while a little stout it was manageable, like a 38 +P. The 32 S&W Long in wadcutter form is a great practice round, like shooting a .22
As for the LCR itself, I concur with everything already said. Very comfortable IWB but I have a S&W 442 for pocket carry. I know some may pocket carry the LCR but I find the Smith is better for that.

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that the .327 is the way to go. 6 rounds, options from zero recoil rounds to stout 100 gr. Buffalo Bore JHP. Not that there is a problem with the .38 +P.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K9346:
Is the LCR as pocketable as the Smith j frames?

I pocket carry my LCR 357 even with a fat Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip and it fits most of my "docker" style pants, cargo pants, and some jeans. I mostly shoot 38 and 38+p. Actually I think it has a grand total of two 357 rounds out of over 1000 total.

Posts: 143 | Registered: August 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A few people have mentioned, in this thread, that the LCR is a bit "snappy" in .38 SPL.

My wife opted for the .357 version of the LCR and shoots .38 SPL with it. The snappiness (is that a word?) os toned down a bit with the heavier frame of the .357

I'm waiting for my wife to decide that she doesn't like her revolver, so I can adopt it. Probably won't happen, she likes it.

I did replace the front sight with a fiber-optic sight. Big improvement!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post