SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Suggestion on recoil spring weight - 320 X5
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestion on recoil spring weight - 320 X5 Login/Join 
Picture of dgrdvm
posted
Hello all. I am looking for advice on where to start with a recoils spring wt. I am shooting a P320 X5 with a solid guide rod and a 14 lb 1911 spring. I am setting it up for a light steel challenge load. It shoots well with my USPSA load ( 147 gr coated over 3.3 gr of VV N320, at 1.135). I played around and a light SC load - 115 gr round nose over the same 3.3 grains of of VV N320 is very soft, and has a similar POI, but... it will not cycle the gun well, if at all.
So, before I order every 1911 spring and try them all, are the any suggestions? 9 lb? 12 lb ?

Thanks for your time

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the 14lb wolf 1911 spring. My load is very similar - 3.2gr of VV N320, 147gr black bullet international. It runs about 830fps. Cases fall out the ejection port. I’ve not had a failure to extract, eject, or cycle. It feels like I’m shooting balls of cotton candy.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
I agree, and I apologize for being unclear. The gun with the 14 lb spring runs great with the USPSA load ( 147 gr and the 3.3 gr of N320) The issue is the "bunny fart" load for Steel Challenge - that one ( 115 gr over 3.3 gr N320) won't cycle the gun. Will a softer recoil spring help and if so, how soft ?

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
My mistake there

George Carlin

posted Hide Post
Try a 10 or 12lb spring. No absolute way to ensure unless you try it.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use an ISMI 14 lb spring on a grayguns fat guide rod. The load is a 147 gn. bullet over 3.3 grains of Tightgroup, 1.155' cartridge overall length. I use a Lee factory crimp die, just enough to take out the bell.

3.2 grains through 3.4 works well for me. Either 1.125 COL or 1.155 seems best in my pistol; in between the groups open up.

I tried as low as 11.5 lbs on the spring, through the factory 18. I like the 14 lb the best.

If you're trying to go with really weak loads, you'll need a lower power spring, so 11 lb will work better, but if you're carrying 130 power factor or better, you'll be fine with the 14 lb spring, I should think. If you're doing steel, especially if you're knocking down poppers, then the heavier rounds will give you less recoil, take less powder, and land a bit harder on the poppers.

If I'm going to err, I'd rather do it with more whomp downrange and more recoil, rather than coming up with a load that dribbles out the ejection port.

4.2 grains Tightgroup under a 124 grain or even 115 grain bullet works well enough, and runs fine with the same 14 lb spring.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgrdvm:
Hello all. I am looking for advice on where to start with a recoils spring wt. I am shooting a P320 X5 with a solid guide rod and a 14 lb 1911 spring. I am setting it up for a light steel challenge load. It shoots well with my USPSA load ( 147 gr coated over 3.3 gr of VV N320, at 1.135). I played around and a light SC load - 115 gr round nose over the same 3.3 grains of of VV N320 is very soft, and has a similar POI, but... it will not cycle the gun well, if at all.
So, before I order every 1911 spring and try them all, are the any suggestions? 9 lb? 12 lb ?

Thanks for your time

I have a pair of xfives, and I believe I went as low as an 11# spring, but, it made me a little nervous because the slide really didn't want to pick up a round, out of the magazine, and return to battery with as much force as I would like.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post