SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    US Coast Guard’s new sidearm
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Coast Guard’s new sidearm Login/Join 
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted
Very surprised they didn’t go with the P320. Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS instead. Piggybacked off the US Customs and Boarder Protection contract.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a downgrade from the p229

Posts: 635 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpadams6:

I don’t think so. A P229 DAK chambered in .40 to a 9mm Glock??

No contest.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’d say it’s a huge upgrade over a .40 cal DAK 229, and still a better choice than a 320. I think it was a great choice.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it's more because they are part of department of homeland security (like border patrol) instead of being like the other branches of the military.

Either way they're going from a good weapon to a more modern one with the optic cut, so good for them.

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddy345:
quote:

No contest.

Opinions vary.

Name the last time a coastie got into a gunfight with a pistol? Name the last time virtually any green military unit got into a gunfight with a pistol for that matter.

The DAK was a decent choice. The G19 is pretty hard to beat. So is the 320.

Carried a lot, shot a little.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by maddy345:
quote:

No contest.

2000ish in New Orleans. Two Coasties that were armed to transport ammunition to the local station rolled up on an armed robbery in progress.

Opinions vary.

Name the last time a coastie got into a gunfight with a pistol? Name the last time virtually any green military unit got into a gunfight with a pistol for that matter.

The DAK was a decent choice. The G19 is pretty hard to beat. So is the 320.

Carried a lot, shot a little.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm a P320 fan, but for a saltwater environment, where as noted the gun will be doing a bunch of holster time with little range time, I've gotta give the nod to the Glock. The only real significant problem I've had with the 320 is certain parts are prone to rust and require continual maintenance to prevent this. Good call by the USCG, IMO.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Puddle Pirate 1979 - 1985 this is good love my Sigs but rust loves Sigs also. The Glock will be much easier to maintain at small unit levels that do no have a GM to make the weapons work. As in any sea service even if it is only knee deep rust never sleeps...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I'm a P320 fan, but for a saltwater environment, where as noted the gun will be doing a bunch of holster time with little range time, I've gotta give the nod to the Glock. The only real significant problem I've had with the 320 is certain parts are prone to rust and require continual maintenance to prevent this. Good call by the USCG, IMO.

Please elaborate.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
It seems like a good choice to me. Hard to beat a Glock for any harsh environment, but I would have chose the G17 gen5.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
It seems like a good choice to me. Hard to beat a Glock for any harsh environment, but I would have chose the G17 gen5.

The G17 wasn't an option, since they're piggybacking off the existing Customs and Border Protection contract. The options are the G26, G19, and/or the new G47 (basically a longslide G45; similar in function to the G17 but not directly interchangeable with the G17).

So if they wanted to choose a true G17, they would have had to start over and bid out a whole new contract, with all the bullshit that entails.

Besides, if you're going to only have one Glock for all purposes, the G19 is a better option than the G17/G47. And USCG is already used to utilizing a compact handgun across the board, with their current P229 sidearms.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All those itty-bitty parts in a P320 FCU? Yup, the Glorp would've been the no brainer choice for me as well. KISS...the only way to go.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Great choice. I still can’t warm up to the 320.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away

Please elaborate.

Unless I oil it on a very regular basis (like once a week), the metal mag catch on my P320 SC ankle gun will rust. I carried a G26 in the same manner for years, often neglected it for longer, and never once had a single problem with rust anywhere on the gun.

Just the other day, I was inspecting another officer's gun prior to training, I observed a significant amount of surface rust on his slide end cap. I'm not sure what cleaning regimen he follows..likely not a very good one...but I've never seen this on a Glock.

Regardless, I'm still carrying my P320s and prefer them to Glocks, but I'm also not issuing weapons to and responsible for a bunch of guys who are getting doused in salt spray on a regular basis. If that were the case, based on my experience, I'd probably want the Glocks.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a currently qualified boarding officer for the Coast Guard i can't count the number of times I have been soacked with sea water on a regular basis.

While i have never had a problem with rust on my sig i do welcome the Glock. When i started this we carried the M9 beretta, we have came a long way.

Now if we could just take the sights of the shotguns and put them on our M4s that would be nice, why the hell a shotgun has a red dot that will not stay zeroed is beyond me....

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

I rusted shut a magazine release on one of my P229's with my sweat. Haven't had that problem with a Glock. *shrug*

Having owned at least several of each, if I knew I was going to be around, on, or in salt water most of the time, I would consider a Glock first.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
How long was the P229 in service?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
How long was the P229 in service?

~15 years. Adopted in 2005, and phased in from very late 2005 through mid-2006.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post