SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    US Coast Guard’s new sidearm
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US Coast Guard’s new sidearm Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I bet they did not wear out the 229's. They just wanted a change. Too bad the U. S. tax payers have to pay for it.

I can understand phasing out the 229 and replacing them when needed.

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Those 229s are going to the woodchipper, aren't they?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

Yes. Federally owned guns get destroyed when they are retired from service.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

Yes. Federally owned guns get destroyed when they are retired from service.

Feds should have to sell them to recoup some of the cost, that's unfortunate.

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
I bet they did not wear out the 229's. They just wanted a change. Too bad the U. S. tax payers have to pay for it.

I remember the Coasties at FLETC having constant problems with their 229r DAKs. This was in the 2011 time frame. They were swapping guns for deadline issues and having alibis the entire session. Some of them were definitely ready for pasture.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin228:
Feds should have to sell them to recoup some of the cost, that's unfortunate.

There was some discussion about it recently with the Marines switching to the M18 and retiring all their other handguns.

Fwiw, I agree with you, but it's simply never going to happen.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm shocked at no love for the p229. In 357/40, it has to be one of the best pistols for ccw in existence.
I get the whole glock being about half the price of a p series Sig. But, you get what you pay for in quality. Taking a Sig and glock apart and looking at the individual parts, is not even close in terms of quality.
But then again, I'm old school and appreciate a metal hammer fired pistol.

Posts: 635 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpadams6:
I'm shocked at no love for the p229. In 357/40, it has to be one of the best pistols for ccw in existence.
I get the whole glock being about half the price of a p series Sig. But, you get what you pay for in quality. Taking a Sig and glock apart and looking at the individual parts, is not even close in terms of quality.

My cousin, who is mostly into cowboy action guns, asked me to help him find a good CCW pistol. I found him a gently used P229 (no rail) in .40 S&W. He just acquired a .357 SIG barrel for it as well and absolutely loves the pistol. He keeps thanking me for leading him in the right direction.

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
P229 in .40 is a match made in heaven. DAK....notsomuch.

That said the Glock 19/17 just makes so much more sense as a widely issued sidearm for a myriad of reasons, especially for a primarily waterborne force like the Coasties.

Hey I am a DA/SA guy but it’s hard not to see this as a good thing across the board.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
P229 in .40 is a match made in heaven. DAK....notsomuch.

That said the Glock 19/17 just makes so much more sense as a widely issued sidearm for a myriad of reasons, especially for a primarily waterborne force like the Coasties.

Hey I am a DA/SA guy but it’s hard not to see this as a good thing across the board.

I agree 100%.

Posts: 1956 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:

This is what is irritating. There is nothing wrong with the gun they have, and you know that none of them have many rounds through them. They didn't have any real reason to get a new pistol. Those 229s could have stayed in inventory for decades more.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A solid, proven choice. Good deal.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had to work in the environment that US Coast Guard does, I would want the Glock as well, it's just common sense. If I lived on the coast where the salt air was an issue, I would own a Glock again.

P226r Extreme, P226 TACOPS, M11-A1, P220 Elite Full Size

Posts: 30 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: January 31, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about the USCG's use of a firearms, but I do know a couple things about dealing with firearms in an LE environment.

People always lament agencies getting new guns as being "just because they want new guns" and generally use the fact that they have owned whatever quantity of guns for however long and whatever round count and "never had a problem."

Things change when the guns are carried constantly. USCG's law enforcement function almost certainly puts their pistols into regular carry and in unpleasant environments. If they have night sights, night sights wear out (and if the guns are up to 15 years old, the sights are dead). Springs reach their replacement intervals. Magazines start causing problems. This is the kind of thing that is all well and good if you're a "gun guy" and you grab a couple mags or an RSA from TGS and put the other ones in the drawer or grab a set of sights and put them on or send your slide to Sig, etc.

When you have thousands of guns that have a job, so to speak, down time is a problem. When you have thousands of shooters, many of whom are not "gun guys", problems sometimes don't reveal themselves until they're big problems. Things like replacing sights require massive coordination and ridiculous numbers of man hours to get guns in, get sights swapped out, and get guns back out. Magazines are bought by the thousands.

Also, don't forget that these DAK guns are disappearing from federal service in the other places where they existed, so if the contract for parts and guns is up, getting them may be cumbersome. Complex purchasing policies may further complicate things. The USCG isn't buying a couple spare RSAs from Midway, they need several thousand.

Our agency replaces guns in roughly the 7-10 year range. Once the night sights start to go dead, we trade them in. Generally the trade credit is in the $300 range and new Glocks are in the $400 range. You can hardly buy night sights for that and you sure as hell can't coordinate installing a hundred sets, let alone getting new springs, barrels, and mags. I know the federal government cuts these up so that doesn't apply here, but it's definitely part of the dollars and cents of it for many agencies.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Our new gen4 Glock 31s with night sights were $409. Trade in for our old guns were $250. So the city was out $159 for new guns (old guns were 10 years old). You can’t replace all the springs, night sights and mags for less than $159.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would be nice to see DJT issue an executive order that all recycled federal guns get sold through CMP to recoup some us taxpayers dollars. I know guys that paid a lot of money for ratted out CMP 1911 just because it was milsurp.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The CMP operates off a Congressional charter that is very specific about where they can source their firearms and what firearms they can receive and sell. (Specifically .22 and .30 caliber rifles from the US Army.)

.40 caliber handguns from the Coast Guard don't meet any of these criteria, so it would take much more than just an Executive Order to make that happen.

It took years to get additional special legislation passed to allow the recent limited 1911 sales. And those were already US Army property, thus eliminating one hurdle off the bat.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

What's up with the magazine base plates sticking out front so far? Is it some new option? I haven't bought a new Glock mag for a decade, so maybe I missed it..

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elberettas:
quote:
Originally posted by dpadams6:

My cousin, who is mostly into cowboy action guns, asked me to help him find a good CCW pistol. I found him a gently used P229 (no rail) in .40 S&W. He just acquired a .357 SIG barrel for it as well and absolutely loves the pistol. He keeps thanking me for leading him in the right direction.

And other people thank-you, also.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
What's up with the magazine base plates sticking out front so far? Is it some new option? I haven't bought a new Glock mag for a decade, so maybe I missed it..

Easier to pull out a stuck mag.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post