SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Most underrated pustols. Why aren't these more popular? Great deals.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most underrated pustols. Why aren't these more popular? Great deals. Login/Join 
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
The S&W Chief's Special semi autos. The CS9 and CS45 in particular.

Fine carry guns. Accurate, reliable and look good doing all that. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
Walther PPQ

Better than the VP9, with none of the hype surrounding it.

I own both, but the PPQ is the one to own IMO

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger P90 .45 Auto. S&W 5906 9mm and 4506 .45 Auto...but I guess these aren't the best choices for this thread since they're out of production.

More modern: Bersa .380; Any CZ; Kahr CM9; and the most underrated handgun on this or any other planet, the Walther PPQ.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
Ruger P90 .45 Auto. S&W 5906 9mm and 4506 .45 Auto...but I guess these aren't the best choices for this thread since they're out of production.

I don't think you can really consider any of the 3rd Gen Smiths as "underrated". Not with the numbers they were produced in and number of agencies that adopted them.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
There's too much of a good thing. There are so many good (defined as accurate, reliable, and with good ergonomics/shootability) pistols out there right now that there are more than the market (and the aftermarket) can really support. There are only so many LE/government contracts, there are only so many guns the holster and accessory makers can support, there are only so many buyers. The first good gun into a market usually ends up dominating. Look at how Glock basically invented the poly-striker market, and used good, and for their time, innovative marketing techniques to get it accepted in the LE market, which pushed it into the civilian market. Now every major, and many minor, gun makers have poly-striker guns. Not all, and maybe not even the majority, are going to succeed in the market, no matter how good they are.

quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
There are several gun out there available that, for whatever reason, haven't gotten any traction but are awesome guns none the less. Let's hear about them...

I'll start with 2 I own and or have some opinion about.

Sig Sauer P250. I know, I know, I too though that a DAO pistol was a really dumb idea... until I handled one. This is literally the best double action trigger I've ever shot, including custom Colt and S&W revolvers. The 2 I've had both have been 100% reliable and shoot great. I think of my P250 compact as a 15 shot revolver.

FN - FNX, FNP, FNS. I have an FNX 45 and it's simply awesome. 15rnds of 45ACP. It does have a big grip but not as big as you might think. I like the safety, how you can carry it cocked and locked or use the safety/Decocker to decock the pistol and shoot the first round DA. Good sights, easy to shoot, low recoil. Great gun for any full sized combat pistol use. I'd like to find one in 9mm.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
The fnx is plastic junk. I kept stripping the safety lever and fn so or take care of it....if I paid for shipping both ways.
Wouldn't send replacement part either. Said they had to do it. I don't care if I ever hold another FN pistol again.

The he SIGPro is fantastic, however; when they first came out, they were expensive and the grip was huge. The new smaller grippier grips are a fairly recent change. I have owned one for the past 7 years of one type or another. A German proofed 2022 with late model grips and sigs new X-ray sights would probably be the best combo available.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SVTNate:
Walther PPQ

Better than the VP9, with none of the hype surrounding it.

I own both, but the PPQ is the one to own IMO

The PPQ has the best striker fired trigger of any gun sold today. It is indeed very under-rated.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Chester County, PA | Registered: February 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankinCA:
Sig P239. I read a lot of people that say a 228 or 229 makes more sense, however, a 239 carries easier.
The P239 is very accurate and shoots like a larger pistol.
Second choice is a Kahr K9. Very accurate and is the size of a lot of .380's

We definitely are thinking alike. The P239 and the Kahr K9 are my current carry guns and I find both to be just about perfect. I often carry both (so easy to do.)

Posts: 1562 | Location: Chester County, PA | Registered: February 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peanut71:
The Ruger P-series are also vastly underrated. I've came across two P95's that were great guns. For $200 a piece I don't think I've ever gotten more bang for my buck.

Great deal.....nothing says bury it for 20 years....pull it out...shoot it like the Ruger P series.

I saw a 90 for $250 a bit ago that tempted me

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HawkeyeJohn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mainframe Coder:
quote:
Originally posted by FrankinCA:
Sig P239. I read a lot of people that say a 228 or 229 makes more sense, however, a 239 carries easier.
The P239 is very accurate and shoots like a larger pistol.
Second choice is a Kahr K9. Very accurate and is the size of a lot of .380's

We definitely are thinking alike. The P239 and the Kahr K9 are my current carry guns and I find both to be just about perfect. I often carry both (so easy to do.)

Love my 239 but I'm not sure that they're underrated or unpopularWink

I did consider it a great deal - got this one last month at a gun show for $500. Added the Nill grips for $160. She's my new favorite EDC - no rail, no tail, no plastic (well OK, the guide rod) two tone... a sweet trigger to boot!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HawkeyeJohn,

Posts: 383 | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sig Sauer P250. I know, I know, I too though that a DAO pistol was a really dumb idea... until I handled one. This is literally the best double action trigger I've ever shot, including custom Colt and S&W revolvers. The 2 I've had both have been 100% reliable and shoot great. I think of my P250 compact as a 15 shot revolver...

I agree! A 15 shot revolver with a buttery smooth trigger.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SP2022. A few years ago you could get one for $349.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I'll agree with those that mentioned the Bersa Thunder series. I owned a Deluxe in .380 acp many years ago, and while I haven't handled any newer examples, mine was well made, reliable, and reasonably accurate, although as a blow back it did have stout recoil. I later sold it as I found that for what I was using it for I needed something smaller, but it was a good gun.

Also, the IMI Baby Eagle, which I owned in .40 S&W. The finish and metal work were a bit crude, typical of Israeli guns, but functional. The gun was reliable, reasonably accurate, a decent DA trigger, slim, and fairly comfortable to grip, although I never cared for the slide mounted safety decocker or the way the sharp edge of the trigger guard would impact my finger under recoil.

quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
I don't understand why anyone is saying a SP2022. I think anyone who owns (me included) or has shoot one will tell you its the best intro to sig you will ever get. And its a full size. I also don't feel its underrated as it is billed as a leo sort of styling. I will however say a Jericho 941-f. I'd love to own one. Lucky however for us all the Jericho and the 2022 are still bought often enough to find parts for

Speaking from today's perspective I would agree with you, I don't feel that it is under rated at all, and seems to have slowly moved from cult-fan status to general acceptance.

However, in the early days of its introduction, the SIG Pro was a red-headed step child. I had owned a Classic metal SIG for years and I, like many others, had given it a little pat on the head with an understanding smile, noting that it was a nice gun for those who couldn't afford a "real" SIG.

Years ago I recall a friend telling me that he was selling a couple SIGs and I was excited and interested to check them out for a potential purchase. When I got to his house and he opened the boxes I'll never forget the disappointment I felt when I realized that they were SPs, and after just a couple minutes politely declined.

This forum, in no small part, has done much to sway the opinion and perception of the SP series, and convinced me to buy one, and once I had bought one I learned the error of my ways.

No doubt, the SP is one of many fine guns available, but it wasn't always viewed that way.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
quote:

Sig Sauer P250. I know, I know, I too though that a DAO pistol was a really dumb idea... until I handled one. This is literally the best double action trigger I've ever shot, including custom Colt and S&W revolvers. The 2 I've had both have been 100% reliable and shoot great. I think of my P250 compact as a 15 shot revolver...

I agree! A 15 shot revolver with a buttery smooth trigger.

I also agree with this wholeheartedly. It's also the cheapest way to shoot 6 calibers (.22LR, .380, 9mm, .40, .357SIG, and .45) with the same trigger pull and manual of arms. And it's extremely versatile and easy to maintain.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig pro for sure, I was skeptical at first too but they really are great guns.

I also agree that FNH pistols are junk I had and fnp-9 back in ~2010. I was so dissapointed with it, I'd wanted it for so long and at the time wasn't making very much money, I found one locally and put it on layaway, sold another gun to make the purchase.

At first I loved it, it was incredibly accurate but these pins on it would just walk themselves out while shooting, also a plastic piece inside it cracked, the thing went back to fnh 2-3 times and they were even offering to send me 45 combat model but I was stubborn, I wish I'd taken tha .45 combat model.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Also, the IMI Baby Eagle, which I owned in .40 S&W.

More underrated than most, the 41 Action Express was superior to the .40 S&W in the Baby Eagle / Jericho. Finding a box of 41s is nearly impossible now.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anyone mention the P-245? Some really like it but some really don't, mainly because if the short grip/pinky thing.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
Did anyone mention the P-245? Some really like it but some really don't, mainly because if the short grip/pinky thing.

I have a P245. I like it a lot. The P220 Compact is basically the same gun (not exactly but 99.999% I don't think you could tell the difference between the 2 side by side until you tried to swap parts.) there is still an option for the model out there.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
I think the P245 is a great little gun, one of my favorite compacts.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger P89 that I bought new in 1993. Probably doesn't have more than 500 rounds at most as it was put away when we moved back to this communist state. I only recently started to shoot it again after I bought a Glock 42. Mostly I have been trap or rifle shooting. I think the P89 is a very good firearm and look to have it for a long time. Their was never "it didn't like that brand ammunition" with it, it shot what you put in the magazine. Too large for CC, but in the winter you probably could CC with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rtquig,

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post