SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Most underrated pustols. Why aren't these more popular? Great deals.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most underrated pustols. Why aren't these more popular? Great deals. Login/Join 
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted
There are several gun out there available that, for whatever reason, haven't gotten any traction but are awesome guns none the less. Let's hear about them...

I'll start with 2 I own and or have some opinion about.

Sig Sauer P250. I know, I know, I too though that a DAO pistol was a really dumb idea... until I handled one. This is literally the best double action trigger I've ever shot, including custom Colt and S&W revolvers. The 2 I've had both have been 100% reliable and shoot great. I think of my P250 compact as a 15 shot revolver.

FN - FNX, FNP, FNS. I have an FNX 45 and it's simply awesome. 15rnds of 45ACP. It does have a big grip but not as big as you might think. I like the safety, how you can carry it cocked and locked or use the safety/Decocker to decock the pistol and shoot the first round DA. Good sights, easy to shoot, low recoil. Great gun for any full sized combat pistol use. I'd like to find one in 9mm.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Sig Sp2022
Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
SIGs SP series polymer guns
Beretta PX4 Series of guns
HK P2000 series

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
As for why???

The SIG came out at a time when the thought of a plastic SIG Was blasphemy. It was a hard sell to the purists and was hammer fired when that was starting to see a downtrend.

The PX series well again hammer fired and lots of folks find them plain ugly. I actually think they look fantastic for a piece of polymer. The rotating barrel is also a point of contention and needs special care as far as proper lubrication goes.

The P2000 suffers from trigger stigma as well as being hammer fired and in its day was uber expensive. Today its a hellofbargain.

And to be honest, they aren't Glocks. Which is to say they don't have that damn near perfect mix of reliability, durability, Price, Marketing, capacity and aftermarket support that Glock has built up. Even people like me who don't really care for Glocks ergonomics find themselves adapting to the pistol.

I'm not saying........go buy a Glock or you are stupid just putting out that they are a hard nut to crack in this realm.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Current production Steyr handguns.

they have a better trigger than ANY other available striker fired gun.

but they are Austrian, so why not just buy a glock Roll Eyes

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IANative
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:

While I've never shot one, I have heard the same thing about Steyr, too. Explained as "better than a Glock, minus the marketing and publicity."

I've also heard the SP2009/2022 is the absolute best bang for the buck in plastic fantastics... which I'm about to find out.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
USN Veteran
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 446 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IANative:
quote:

While I've never shot one, I have heard the same thing about Steyr, too. Explained as "better than a Glock, minus the marketing and publicity."

I've also heard the SP2009/2022 is the absolute best bang for the buck in plastic fantastics... which I'm about to find out.

I had one of the later ones with the upgraded extractor and was not impressed with its performance. I had a FTE's with lots of different loads.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
P250 was snakebit by the FAM's reputation. FNX45 seemed to have issues with the mag release and empties not dropping freely.. The FNS9C is a fun gun and great shooter. Spent some time around one this past summer. Feed everything and was uber accurate and had to ask why I didn't own one and recalled I had one very similar in the G19...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'd say the SigPro series of guns. I have a 2022 that is a fantastic pistol.

A friend of mine has the Steyr, but I am always concerned about getting parts, including sufficient magazines, for a gun that isn't all that common in the US. I feel the same way about guns like the Canik, and the Sphinx. They may be good, even great guns for the price, but I think that the lack of local support and parts availability makes them a lesser choice than a SigPro, Walther, Glock, M&P, FN or Springfield XD, all of which can be found in the same price range and all of which have extensive dealer networks for support and warranty, and lots of in stock parts and magazines.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ruger P-series are also vastly underrated. I've came across two P95's that were great guns. For $200 a piece I don't think I've ever gotten more bang for my buck.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:

but they are Austrian, so why not just buy a glock Roll Eyes

This.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Stoeger Cougar. These pistols are a great value. The 9mm version is a very nice shooting gun.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
Ruger SR9. We have the fullsize and compact for my wife and she can shoot the piss out of them. They have been very accurate and reliable.

I am a huge fan of the P250 as well.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I will jump on the SIG Pro 2022 bandwagon also. Perhaps the best full size 9mm in the price range.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
Originally posted by IANative:
quote:

I had one of the later ones with the upgraded extractor and was not impressed with its performance. I had a FTE's with lots of different loads.

A few years back they had issues especially the frankenguns that sold at Cabela's. The new ones (with rollpin under the rear sight) are great.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
IWI Jericho 941-F. Overshadowed by Sphinx and even Tanfoglio. And most certainly by CZs themselves. Brick shithouse build, a fairly easy gun to shoot satisfyingly accurate with.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
SIG Pro SP2022 for sure

I'd also throw the Bersa Thunder 380 series in there too.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig P239. I read a lot of people that say a 228 or 229 makes more sense, however, a 239 carries easier.
The P239 is very accurate and shoots like a larger pistol.
Second choice is a Kahr K9. Very accurate and is the size of a lot of .380's

Posts: 45 | Registered: June 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P239 is one of my favorite personal carry pistols. Mine isn't being carried presently, but it's going to head to Bruce Grey at some point for a rework, and may be it will be carried more then. Great pistol. Mine's .40, but I'd like it in .357 Sig.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why anyone is saying a SP2022. I think anyone who owns (me included) or has shoot one will tell you its the best intro to sig you will ever get. And its a full size. I also don't feel its underrated as it is billed as a leo sort of styling. I will however say a Jericho 941-f. I'd love to own one. Lucky however for us all the Jericho and the 2022 are still bought often enough to find parts for

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post