SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recent Range Trip Has Me Obsessed With The P238
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent Range Trip Has Me Obsessed With The P238 Login/Join 
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted
Last week I was visiting my brother and we took my two sons to the range. My brother brought a couple of .380's for the boys to shoot and I fell in love with the P238. Man that thing just felt great in my hand and I probably shot it as well as any pistol I have ever picked up. Now I am obsessed with picking one out.

I have watched videos, read reviews and scoured gunbroker for the last week looking for the perfect one. Thought hard about 938 vs 238 and was able to handle both last night to settle that debate. I think I have settled on the 238 Legion variant with plans to convert the ambi safety to a single side safety. But I also like the nickel variant and the option of running the 6 round mags for the smallest possible footprint.

I am nearing paralysis by analysis. Anyone have any helpful thoughts that might push me one way or the other. For those that pocket carry the 238, do you lean toward the 6 round flat mags or the 7 round with pinky extension. If the 7 round wins out I think I would prefer the x-ray front site and carry melt treatment of the Legion. Of course I could get that by buying the SAS and swapping the front site but I don't particularly care for the two tone look.

I am usually a pretty decisive person so I am not sure why I am struggling with this other than the fact that Sig seems to have produced about 11 bazillion variants of this pistol, lol.

Here is a pic of our combined contribution to the days fun.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I have always had a thing for small .380s. I’d give six bucks and my left nut for a 238 Legion!

Seriously, I love the look and feel of the Legion.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SteveR2012
posted Hide Post
One thing to consider is that the Legion magazine is unique to the pistol. Standard P238 magazines will not fit the Legion.
I sometimes pocket carry a P238 with the 7 round magazine without an issue.

Posts: 109 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I am aware of the lack of compatibility between the Legion and other 238's. I will be starting from scratch and acquiring both the pistol and a supply of mags so that shouldn't be an issue. One nice thing about the Legion is that it comes with 3 mags standard.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Legion 238 when they dropped in price to $500-ish a few months ago. The magwell with the Legion specific magazines allows a full grip and almost perfect fit for my hand.

I need the ambi-safety and most of the other 238's do not have one.

Spare mags are still available, just get a few extra and should be good to go.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I bought a Legion 238 when they dropped in price to $500-ish a few months ago. The magwell with the Legion specific magazines allows a full grip and almost perfect fit for my hand.

I need the ambi-safety and most of the other 238's do not have one.

Spare mags are still available, just get a few extra and should be good to go.

I was able to make a deal on a P238 Legion today via gunbroker. Its wasn't quite 500-ish but it was south of $600 so I am pleased with the deal. Can't wait to try it out but will likely convert to a single side safety if the rest of the package works for me.

posted Hide Post
Jim: Congratulations. You did well. Other than being a bit pricey, our P238 has worked well for us. Our little mate (who is more than a little recoil sensitive) shoots our P238 well and can actually be induced to practice occasionally with it. That alone is reason enough for us to own one. Ours has been 100% reliable with any ordnance we have cared to feed it and it hides well for us, even in a pocket. We think you will be very happy with yours.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
will likely convert to a single side safety if the rest of the package works for me.

Easily done. I did it with my P938 Legion.

RSafety Rem by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your P238.

You can call Sig CS and order the single safety parts and swap them out. Then shop for the grips if the extra notch is distracting.

I was able to find a P238 HD and it is fantastic! Let us know when yours arrives.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to buy the P238 Legion when Palmetto State Armory had them for $479. Missed the sale and dropped the ball on that one.

If I see one at a reasonable price, I'll add it to my P238 collection (SAS, HD Nickel, Nitron - with Hogue Zombie grips from the early Zombie craze).

I find the steel-framed nickel model the most pleasant to shoot range model. If carry is the primary use, I'd to with an aluminum frame model (SAS model).

Changing the topic a bit, the other .380 that I really enjoy shooting is the Browning 1911-.380. A little larger, polymer frame, but same single-action goodness.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MagnumU,

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post