SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta 92FS all have external safety?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 92FS all have external safety? Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
I’ve been looking for a 92FS and all I’m seeing are ones with a safety. I don’t know anything about them other than I kinda want one.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes, all F/FS have external safety / decocker (dual use lever).

The G models all have external decockers, which is the same lever as the safety (in the same place), although you can convert F/FS to G with a newer kit from Beretta - so a pistol marked FS could be a G and you'd only know when putting it on safe, the safety will flick back up to off safe automatically.

The DAO version was the 92D model with no safety / decocker and a long & heavy trigger pull.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
There are generally four types:

• 92F/FS - DA/SA and safety/decocker
  • 92D - DAO and no safety
  • 92G - DA/SA and decocker only
  • 92 frame safety - DA/SA or SAO and frame safety levers (cocked and locked)

Beretta makes a G retrofit kit if you want to convert your 92FS to G-action.

There are also different sizes...full size with 4.9" barrel, Centurion (full grip, 4.3" barrel and Compact (short grip, 4.3" barrel).

Also some other variants like Compact Type M which is a single stack and came in D, G and FS variants.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask away.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Very helpful, thanks!

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a beretta guru but enjoy the ones I have. I didn't know there was an SAO 92 (as noted in PGT list). is it commercially available?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The 92 Combat, 92 Steel-I and 92 Centennial all were offered as SAO or had that option.

The current 92X Performance models are steel framed, frame safety setups and there will be optional parts for SAO. Here's the currently sold model:

You can also source the frame safety parts, SAO parts and make your own from a 92D slide and whatever lower you want. Like so:

This is a 96D Centurion convereted to frame safety with a Bar-Sto 357SIG barrel and spare 92D upper with 9mm barrel.

I also have two 92 Stock models; these were DA/SA, frame safety and front barrel bushings for IPSC competition in the 90's

posted Hide Post
thank you for that. If I get a 92x does the 'will be' mean that beretta is committing to make available the SAO parts, or is it something less than that in terms of commitment...

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
they're awaiting import from Italy now. they even have different size safety levers

posted Hide Post
I've done a 'g' conversion, is this something a normal person can change?