SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on newer Colt 1911s?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on newer Colt 1911s? Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I bought a plain Jane Colt 1991 a couple years back just to have a “Colt 1911” for the collection. I was pleased to find that the fit and finish was pretty good, great in fact. Slide to frame fit is solid and everything is well aligned. Some slight mush with the safety lever though it is on par with every other Colt I have handled. I haven’t shot it yet though expect that it will perform well. For under $900 I think it’s a decent value considering the namesake.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I beg to disagree on the previous statement on the undercut, that is the most appealing feature to me on the newer Colts. The undercut they are using is executed well and fits me nicely. So much so I purchased one of the Series 80 Competition pistols in 9mm and a regular stainless Commander in .45 in the past year. Both have been great out of the box. I do have an aftermarket safety for the Commander just out of preference and not out of any lack of function for the stock one. I have not gotten around to installing it though.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:

It doesn't bother me. It's not much different from names like Ed Brown "Special Forces" or Les Baer "Kobra Carry."

Not that it undercuts your point, but the “ Kobra Carry” is also an Ed Brown model, not Les Baer.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EBRfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:

It doesn't bother me. It's not much different from names like Ed Brown "Special Forces" or Les Baer "Kobra Carry."

Not that it undercuts your point, but the “ Kobra Carry” is also an Ed Brown model, not Les Baer.

HA!! OOPS!!!

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's your opinion on "newer?"

I picked up one of the anniversary models back in 2011. One helluva shooter, even with those miniature sights. I do have 2 issues with it though. One is a mag issue. The little dimples like to catch the rim of the last round, causing failures to feed. It's a very occasional range toy, so I haven't bothered getting new mags (Wilson or CMC). The other thing is the grips. They're not quite tight. If it weren't an anniversary edition, I'd have put Hogues on it long ago. They do kinda bug me though. Nothing that keeps me from shooting it great, just feel like for a special edition it should be perfect, even if it's the entry level special edition.

Great, now I'm getting a bug to shoot it. Which means I'll have to clean it, which means I'll have to chance an idiot mark. One of these days I'm gonna pick up a beater RIA to satisfy any 1911 urges.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I feel the current production Colt 1911's are the best they have made in the last 30 years...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWALLY:
I feel the current production Colt 1911's are the best they have made in the last 30 years...

I second this. I own Colt 1911's stretching from 1947 to about 2015 and the ones produced from 2010-2011 onward are some of the best pistols Colt has ever put out.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outstanding to hear the good reviews. The competition model I was looking at is a series 70 made within the last few years.

I need to stop spending $$ and you all just help feed the addiction. Cool

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own MANY Colt 1911's from WWII 1943 1911A1 to 2000's 1991A1 and love them all.

My later models shoot just as well as my mint condition 1943 example. Go buy that Colt.

Posts: 25 | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
I used to have a NRM series 80 stainless, my buddy had an original series 70. triggers were done by the same smith and if you were blindfolded you couldnt tell the difference. i personally liked the series 80 better out of the 2 because you could put the firing pin back in easier after cleaning, but other than that they were the same. but in terms of how they shoot, i prefer my sw1911 or the new ruger 1911. they shoot great and the recoil seems more mild than the colts.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“the Colt Competition Pistol incorporates Colt’s renowned National Match Barrel and a 4.5- to 6-pound three-hole, aluminum single-action trigger. The pull is smooth and has a clean break, and the match barrel offers excellent accuracy. The 5-inch,1:16 LH twist barrel is made from stainless steel and
has a polished finish.

As with many of Colt’s new pistols for 2016, the Colt Competition Pistol utilizes the Colt Dual Spring Recoil System™ found on the M45A1 Colt developed for the Marine Corps.”

The dual coil recoil spring should help make it a bit softer I’d imagine.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
They still rattle and still don't have checkering and any undercut on the frame.

They still have the name though.

Bob

I bought a new colt competition s/s 9mm sight unseen about a year ago when the s/s came out. Mine is very very tight, it’s a very good shooting gun. The slide to frame fit and barrel bushing fit are very tight. The grip safety does have some side to side play, but that’s the only thing I could find on the entire gun. I do have a wc and brown also, and while not the quality of either, it’s not terribly far away.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I bought a new production '70 Series Gold Cup National Match, It has functioned perfectly for three thousand rounds. It is very accurate considering the slide rattles badly, barrel lock up and bushing fit is exceptional, as well as the 3 1/2# trigger. It's a keeper for sure.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Bought one of the 9mm, full sized models last year. The model with the blue G-10 grips. It has been surprisingly accurate as well as reliable.

IIRC it was $800 or so.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear the positivity! I'm thinking a stainless Competition 38 Super is going to be the next toy.

Posts: 209 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: July 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I thought I had replied to this thread when it was new, I guess not. I played with the new competition model at the outdoor show and was disappointed in it. It wasn't bad, just not at nice as I'd hoped/expected. I expected to be "wow'd" for the MRSP and surely I wasn't.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bpd13:
Good to hear the positivity! I'm thinking a stainless Competition 38 Super is going to be the next toy.

Have a 9mm barrel fitted to go with it. I love governments in 9mm.

I didn't think the competition is that expensive. I paid $869 I think, for my s/s competition 9mm. I thought it was a great deal between the G10 grips, fiber optic site, and all of the other bells and whistles you'd want in a 1911.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
MSRP is a grand. What I handled wasn't worth a grand.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
MSRP is a grand. What I handled wasn't worth a grand.

Do you always pay MSRP?

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Like my stainless enhanced 38 super better than any other 1911. Colt of course.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post