SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on newer Colt 1911s?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on newer Colt 1911s? Login/Join 
posted
I was looking to get a colt 1911 just because of their history. Newer competition models series 70's I believe.

What are everyone's thoughts if us euse or own them?

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I bought a basic model a couple years ago, the O1991 (80 series).

It's just a range toy to have a 1911, so I really didn't care what series it was.

Quality is very nice.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I have one. Well made with a very nice trigger. It is accurate and reliable, right out of the box. The flat black finish is nicely done.

And I got it for less than $1K OTD. A lot of gun for the money. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I had the one with the blue Colt grips in 45. I miss that gun something bad. I will eventually have another one soon.

It was very heavy, which killed any recoil. Very accurate as well.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I've owned my share of Colts and other 1911 type pistols. IMHO, the Competition models are overall nice pistols, and a good value for the money. Colt quality,good sights, extended safety,beavertail, etc. Now if I were in the market, and wanted a caliber other than .45 ACP, I'd likely go with a pistol with ramped barrel.....ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1561 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the other forum members that these Comp models are great value and solid shooters. I would like to mention that if you go the 9mm route, some owners have swapped out the guide rod and spring for a lighter weight. My father's didn't cycle great but once I ditched the dual recoil it has been flawless the past 500 rnds. My buddy has the same Colt and never had an issue with the origna recoil assembly.

Posts: 246 | Location: Chicago Area | Registered: November 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I love my new Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander in 45 ACP!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ogie,

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I have a M45A1 with the Ion Bond DLC coating. So (edit) no (/edit) signs of trouble to date and I like it a lot, but I do need to exercise this Colt a lot more than I currently do. It deserves that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: soggy_spinout,

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The first gun I ever bought myself was a plain jane Colt series 80 M1991A1 and it has been a great gun.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently got a Colt Combat Unit 9mm rail Gun. It’s been great so far.

Less happy with my Wiley Clapp Govt Model bought about two years ago. Shot ok but had the slide stop break locking up the gun. Colt fixed it but when it came back it had ejection issues it didn’t have before (Brass to the face). It also had the brass rod for the brass bead font sight walk out under recoil.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the newer Colt guns are great , I have a few and they are flawless.

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
They still rattle and still don't have checkering and any undercut on the frame.

They still have the name though.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
They still rattle and still don't have checkering and any undercut on the frame.

They still have the name though.

Bob

The Wiley Clapp has excellent checkering and an undercut trigger guard. The grip safety does rattle though.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:

I guess it's just me, but certain product names just turn me off, despite what the product is. Like 'Muscle Milk'...that just sounds gross.

Well, it's the same with that model. No offense the aforementioned gunwriter, but the idea of having a gun with than name shys me off.

"Hey man, what model Colt 1911 ya' got there?"
"I got the Clapp!"

Posts: 794 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I've had a lot of Colts over the years, standard, gold cup, commander, Deltas, etc. I handled a new one at the shop, if I have an influx of cash I'd buy one and wring it out. The quality still seems to be there. The blued model was handsome, I'd go stainless.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None of mine stay stock. However, in the opinion of several top-name pistolsmiths who have built mine, the NRM (new roll mark) Colts are the best made in the last 30-40 years. Better dimensions, better materials.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 162 | Location: Hendersonville, NC | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a Sig guy with two Colt's. A Colt 1911 WC Govt. 45acp & a Colt MK IV 70 CS 45acp. The WC i bought two years ago and the MK two weeks ago (big bucks) Smile. They bought shoot great.

Posts: 361 | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pics are sweet. Glad to hear the quality is there. I’m looking at blued model and the opinions help.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:

I guess it's just me, but certain product names just turn me off, despite what the product is. Like 'Muscle Milk'...that just sounds gross.

Well, it's the same with that model. No offense the aforementioned gunwriter, but the idea of having a gun with than name shys me off.

"Hey man, what model Colt 1911 ya' got there?"
"I got the Clapp!"

It doesn't bother me. It's not much different from names like Ed Brown "Special Forces" or Les Baer "Kobra Carry."

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I am pleased my my series 80 9mm Commander, series 80 9mm Government, Series 80 45 Commander and WWI reproduction.

The WWI did go back to Colt (on their dime) for a trigger adjustment (it rattled), extractor tensioning and 1 other minor issue I now forget. It was returned with issues corrected.

I have another Series 80, this time a Hatch Green .45 Government on lay-away.

You could say I like them.

Othoh my 2-tone Kimber Government 45 has been great out of the box too.

If I wasn’t drooling over a USC .45 Carbine and Sig C3 navy (or army) I would consider yet another Colt after Mr. Hatch Green is paid off.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post