SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    shortening LaserMax guide rod /
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

shortening LaserMax guide rod / Login/Join 
posted
I want to add laser sights to my SIG P220 compact SAO's -these have no rails and their shorter length mags/grips means Crimson Trace grips for the standard size P220 won't fit. Have only used crimson trace laser grips in the past - but wonder if the idea of shaving 1/2" off a LaserMax guide rod laser seems worth a try ? Some rewiring obviously required -but what ya'll think : crazy or ? > Would be nice ( fantasy?) if someone's already done this -even nicer if it worked afterwards.

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I think every little space in the guide rod is being used. Doubt you could shave off 1/2".

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I have a laser max guide rod in my 229 and really doubt it would be possible.

The only end that is "user accessible" is where the batteries are installed and there is no extra space.

Best to call them and ask.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Best guess if you could wire the batteries remotely and flare off the case to accept the cap. Dremel a recess into the grips to hold the 3 batteries there.

Sounds good? Maybe. Possible? Probably not.

Would be better served by comparing the P229 rod dimensions with the Compact rod specs, and getting an appropriate spring.

I like the Laermax for the P220 because it also fits the European models (of which I have many).

I once had to get a activation switch milled for some custom 1911 work. Had to draw a blueprint and take it to a machine shop. The only machine shop that would even attempt it was in Harlem Georgia (70+ miles from my house) and none of them near me (major university town) said they weren't capable of doing such a thing.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post