SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Son's first firearm purchase - Glock
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Son's first firearm purchase - Glock Login/Join 
Picture of slyguy
posted
He must have gotten tired of shooting my Sigs.
Anyhow, he is of age, has his own money, and has settled on buying a G17 9mm.

I do not own a Glock (yet(thx Para)) and am looking for any input on:

Where is the best place to find one
and
Any issues he should be aware of.

Specifically he want a new weapon and is looking at the Gen 5 - latest model.

Thank you,
Cheers~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Barring the current unpleasantness, he should basically be able to pick a direction walk 500 feet and find a Glock. A little facetious of course, but what I am trying to say is he should be able to go to damn near any place that sells weapons and find a new Glock 17 in $550-$600ish area.

The only thing, I personally, think need to be done with Glocks is replace the dovetail protectors.....errrr stock sights. Smile. The Gen 5s, however, frequently ship with some excellent Ameriglo Sights.

There is not much to go wrong with a Glock 17 that most folks don’t bring upon themselves.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:
Anyhow, he is of age, has his own money, and has settled on buying a G17 9mm.

Good choice, it would be a great choice if it was a Glock 19 Wink

Honestly, good choice on his part!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Some of the best deals I've seen on Glocks have been from SF members who are also FFLs. DaBigBR and WARPIG are two worth checking out.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6710050644

Regarding Gen5s, there have been a few rolling updates. For about the first year of production, the front bevel on the slide did not line up w/ the frame. The matching bevel on the frame was added later. The most recent production has matching bevels and front slide serrations. It's up to your son whether any of these superficial features matter to him.

I've shot and dry-fired many, many Glocks. Objectively, their triggers are reliable and work. Subjectively, their feel varies a lot, meaning you could pull five of the same model and Gen, and each one will have a different feeling trigger pull.

A benefit of buying from a LGS is they can pull at least a few G17s they have in stock and allow the customer to dry-fire each one, then pick the one he likes best. A SF member posted before that his LGS will pull 5-6 for him when buys a Glock. I thought that was great advice, assuming your LGS will cooperate.

If you're unable to dry-fire before buying, you might end up w/ dud that you spend hundreds of dollars on trying to fix.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5930003074

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend he get the G45 . It will have the improved ejection. Mine throws brass a good 15 feet from the 3 o’clock position.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
G17 the gateway gun!!

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a gateway, I’d lean a midsized 19 too.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disown him. Now.

Just kidding. Big Grin

I think a Glock 17 or Glock 19 is a fine first firearm. Their popularity assures that they will hold their value in the secondary market should he decide he doesn’t care for it and wants to sell it for something else.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The G17 is a great first choice. The G19 is the ubiquitous glock to own, though.

Nothing at all wrong with the G17.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice one.

Should serve him well for many years. Versatility is a big plus with the G17. Maintenance has a forgiving schedule with it and caliber swaps are a cinch.

In my case, the G19 is kinda smallish for my paws, but the G17 works fine all day long.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the good ol' days one would say get a 17 the ubiquitous and then the pundits would chime in get a 19 so much more versatile. I would always say just get a 17 and be done with it. But given the glock product line right now get a G45 MOS. I promise its the best of both worlds. Not that anything glock is really better or worse in the end. But from someone who has shot an ungodly number of rounds in a glock over decades in all kinds of situations the truly universal one at the moment is a 45.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like $539 is the best "commercial" price.
I would get it with the polymer sights, bench the gun and then determine your needed sight heights.

Then order Ameriglo Bold from this dealer I'm about to link.
Bold is a Glock exclusive, similar to Agent.
Read the descriptions and make your you get the right heights for your preferred sight picture.
POA/POI etc etc
https://www.gtdist.com/catalog.../result/?q=G17+gen+5

ETA:
Ameriglo Bold or Agent are excellent day/night sights.
Similar to Trijicon HD only less money.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
If he's looking at any of the local gun marts, I don't think he's going see much of a price difference; if he's buying new, he might be able to get a deal on a night sights equipped gun, might save $20-30 bucks overall.

If he thinks he's going to buy more than one glock in the next couple of years, he should join GSSF - they have great discounts and it's worth the membership; in some cases, it's almost $100 off per gun. Keith's in Gresham is the only place I know of that honors the GSSF coupons.

As said above, he should take a look at the G45.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda hard to find 9mm Glocks around here, since the panic buying started a couple of months back. Since I've been back to work these past couple of weeks I've only managed to finagle a measly THREE G19s, zero G17s, one G34, zero G26s, zippo G43/43Xs, nada G19Xs and zilch G45s from various Glock distributors. The only model I could get in quantity has been the G48, and there it was only due to fortunate timing (shopping on the distributor site well before the east coast shops opened for business).

Glocks like pump shotguns are hard to come by these days. If he or you are not in a hurry, they will come back once more Austrian guns come back and full the current void.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a good choice and very simple to operate. Every collection needs at least one Glock.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Be calm and understanding and help him buy the Glock and hope that one day he will turn from the dark side....

maybe... just maybe if y'all went to the range and shot both the 17 and a P320 he might actually get a hint....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
It is a good choice and very simple to operate. Every collection needs at least one Glock.

+1

that Glock will give him decades of service

hard to go wrong with a Glock 19 or 17 IME

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Be calm and understanding and help him buy the Glock and hope that one day he will turn from the dark side....

maybe... just maybe if y'all went to the range and shot both the 17 and a P320 he might actually get a hint....

Good idea.
Let him shoot a G17 and a P320 Full Size side by side.
I can guarantee that if the P320 was my X-Five, he would forget all about the Glock.

I have Glocks and that X-Five.
The P320 is a more advanced design as it should be, hitting market 30 years after Glock.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
Glock 17 9mm that's a good buy!

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with a G17gen5. I've got one and just love it.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post