SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking For A Revolver
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking For A Revolver Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I’m looking for a .357 magnum revolver, DAO internal hammer, 3” or 4” barrel.

Closest I have found so far are Ruger 5720 and S&W Model 640, but they have 2 1/4” and 2 1/8” barrel, respectively.

Are you aware of any models that I am missing?

Decent quality, probably not Taurus or similar.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kimber K6s. Outstanding quality. I have two, a 2 inch and a 3 inch. I love them.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
The Kimber K6s fits the specifications that you are requesting. While pricey, they have an unbelievable factory trigger and exceptional fit and finish.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I have a 3” and 2” kimber K6s. The 3” is a double single, the 2” is dao. I love them both and carry regularly. The dasa trigger is better than the dao but my EDC is the dao 2” these days.

Kimber makes a DAO in 3” I’ll be getting it next likely.

About the same size as a J frame but 6 rounds over the 5 of the J.

I carry a couple extra speed strips.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kimber. They make both hammerless and exposed hammer models in 3 inch barrels. High quality guns and a strong value.

https://youtu.be/ZvLnOQ6750Y

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Kimber is surprisingly well put together, given that it's a Kimber. Fit and finish is good, function excellent, and the trigger feels more like a striker fired pistol like a Walther or Sig. It doesn't feel like a revolver.

My Kimber stings my hand more than any other revolver I can recall. It may just be me, but full house rounds hurt. I'm not sure why.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have never fondled a Kimber.

I'll try to stop in at a gun store as soon as I can, and take a look at them.

The initial inquiry was made on behalf of a woman who asked my advice on a handgun for home defense. She held and dry-fired several of mine, including a few SIGs and a 1911. She liked my S&W Model 65 4" revolver best, she has fired it before and done well with it, but we discussed and she agreed that DAO with internal hammer would be best for her.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KImber for a new.

I’m looking for a used S&W 10,13,64,65 with a 3inch barrel. I don’t care if it’s.38spl or .357 mag

Posts: 633 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m looking for a used S&W 10,13,64,65 with a 3inch barrel.
I found a really nice 65 4" in the "for sale" case at the small pawn shop that does my FFL transfers.

It is my first (and only) center-fire revolver. I really like it at the range, and would carry it if I could find a suitable holster.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
You mentioned a DAO with enclosedhammer. I have a S&W M342, a little J frame 38 spc 5 shot, completely enclosed hammer, and it's ok.

Have you considered something along the line of a M10 as you mentioned, and then have the hammer bobbed, that is to say, have the thumb cocking pad cut off and blended into the hammer line. It would be slick and non snag. You can always start to cycle the gun double action then catch the top of the trigger and cock for single action, best of both worlds. S&W also made at one time revolver with high sides that enclosed all of the trigger except for a pad for cocking, the hige sides of the frame followed the arc of the trigger travel so it can easily be cocked for single action. They look a little strange but work well

Posts: 45 | Registered: May 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KML:
I’m looking for a used S&W 10,13,64,65 with a 3inch barrel. I don’t care if it’s.38spl or .357 mag
yeah those are hard to come by these days.

I had a S&W M65 3" and carried it for about 18 months. Great gun, but I sold it to someone who wanted it more and was willing to pay for it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
What about a Smith (or Ruger) mid-size or large frame gun with a bobbed hammer? Would that do?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The S&W model 64 3 inch is my favorite revolver of all time, but getting scarce. I "safe queened" mine.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:

I have a ruger lcx with 3 inch barrel. I think they do have one in .357. Mines .38.
Very light, only 5 shots but I use it for summer dog walks. A couple rounds of snake shot and 3 wadcutters. Action is pretty good. Good sights.
My wife carries an LCR .357 mag. Agree, nice revolver, but that is not what I'm looking for now. I'm looking for something heavier and larger, 3" or 4" barrel, DAO with internal hammer (isn't the LCx DA / SA with spur hammer?).

Because of the person who will be using this, it must be strictly DAO, with no possibility of manually cocking. That is an absolute requirement.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
IS this for the lady you mentioned or for yourself? I only ask as a small barrel/gun for a lady in that caliber, can be pretty stout. The Kimbers are nice but can be pricey. I remember seeing a Ruger LCR with a longer barrel but I can't remember where.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:

IS this for the lady you mentioned or for yourself? I only ask as a small barrel/gun for a lady in that caliber, can be pretty stout. The Kimbers are nice but can be pricey. I remember seeing a Ruger LCR with a longer barrel but I can't remember where.
For the lady. LCR is nice for carry (my wife carries one in .357), but the one I'm looking for is NOT for carry, it will be a house gun.

Definitely want something heavier than an LCR. Something in the SP-101 or K-Frame class.

She has shot my S&W Model 65 4" and done well with it, but she definitely wants DAO internal hammer with NO possibility of manual cocking.

I believe that this is a good choice for her, and fully support what she wants, so no "bobbed hammer" or other substitute.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

What about a Smith (or Ruger) mid-size or large frame gun with a bobbed hammer? Would that do?
No, not in this particular case. See just above.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I'm not understanding the need for an enclosed hammer for a Home Defense firearm. Your friend will be in her home and can carry in a OWB holster without any issues.

I also question your requirement of a 357 Magnum. I am a 65 year old male in good fitness and enjoy shooting 9, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP in volume. I do NOT find shooting the 357 Magnum at all enjoyable in my 4 inch model 620 and only tolerable in my 6 inch Dan Wesson 15-2. IMO it's a round more suited to rifles than handguns. Now, I am certain many will disagree but I find that the 357 Magnum is vastly MORE "snappy" than the hottest 40 S&W.

What I would suggest is finding another S&W model 65 or 64 and have take it to a gunsmith and have the hammer spur removed. Either one will work just fine with 38 +P loads and that is plenty for any human assailant. I'll also point out that a 12 gage 00 load carries nine 38 caliber balls of shot so a loaded 870 in a handy spot is another excellent option. Yeah, the recoil of one of these shells is a bit of a jolt but with a Limbsaver pad to soak up some of the recoil it's not bad at all.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5622 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Please, PLEASE, for the love of John Moses Browning and all that is holy, please people, STOP second-guessing us.

My friend and I have looked at this in depth. She knows what she wants, I understand her reasoning and I fully support her.

It's her money to spend, it will be her gun. Please STOP trying to tell us, "you said 'abc,' but 'xyz' is better."

This happens all too frequently. Please just stop.

It is getting really annoying.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
This happens all too frequently. Please just stop.

It is getting really annoying.

Amen.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post