SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking For A Revolver
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking For A Revolver Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A bit hard to find but S&W did make
Limited numbers of J frame centennial type revolvers with 3” barrels. Only 5 shots. Though. The kimber sounds like your best bet if you want 6. I would highly encourage if you go j frame that it be steel not alloy

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

You could buy a K frame in 3" and have a gunsmith bob the hammer, making it a DAO bobbed hammer revolver. The K frame is a really nice size/weight for home defense.
Are you deliberately being an asshole?

NO, I am being serious. Bobbing the hammer is a very popular mod for revolver gunsmiths to do and relatively easy or can most likely buy a spurless hammer and just have it installed. They make new 3" model 19's, there are also plenty of used 3" model 19's/66's floating around. The performance center mod 19 carry comp is a nice gun SKU:12039. Apex used to do bobbed hammers on S+W's all of the time. Randy was known as the S+W guru in the country, before Apex got really big. Kimber would be the easier route, but most would prefer an S+W over a Kimber. S+W also did a run or two of the gun you're looking for and sold through their distributor Lou Horton, but they're very hard to find and not going to be cheap.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apex products always say gunsmithing might be required. Usually they don’t. Dropping in a new hammer shouldn’t take any smithing. It isn’t cheap. Apex stuff always works well though. 159 bucks for a hammer certainly adds to the cost. Made me look at one myself. Lol

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Apex still has not replied to me email query re how this would affect the S&W warranty.

Waiting . . .

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice thing about that is that it is a drop in part. If you ever send it in for warranty work you just drop the factory part back in. Voila!

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would get a Manurhin MR73 or Korth. Probably Korth.

Posts: 21 | Registered: March 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V-tail, if Apex is not responsive on warranty question could you do it the other way around and ask S&W directly if the Apex mood affects warranty?

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never fondled a Kimber

It's worth the venture. You will know what you're mssing!!!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please, PLEASE, for the love of John Moses Browning and all that is holy, please people, STOP second-guessing us.

My friend and I have looked at this in depth. She knows what she wants, I understand her reasoning and I fully support her.

It's her money to spend, it will be her gun. Please STOP trying to tell us, "you said 'abc,' but 'xyz' is better."

This happens all too frequently. Please just stop.

It is getting really annoying.

I've not read the preceding pages since this ^ post,

just want to add if she has a weight limit,

asking cause the Kimbers are a bit heavy,

very well built, great triggers, but heavy,

all SS construction does that,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please, PLEASE, for the love of John Moses Browning and all that is holy, please people, STOP second-guessing us.

My friend and I have looked at this in depth. She knows what she wants, I understand her reasoning and I fully support her.

It's her money to spend, it will be her gun. Please STOP trying to tell us, "you said 'abc,' but 'xyz' is better."

This happens all too frequently. Please just stop.

It is getting really annoying.

All due respect, V-Tail, but you wrote a thread with a spec for one currently produced gun, and then listed two alternates (varying from spec) in your OP. The only one that fits your spec is listed in the first post. If you don't want other members insights or opinions, then this thread could have/perhaps should have been over on post two.

The K6S is the only current production revolver that fits your spec. Buy one, or have her buy one, or whatever, and shoot it in good health.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With those parameters, you are unfortunately looking for a micro needle in a world size haystack. I can appreciate you helping her out and we all want to help but she might need to be open to some other options, for a newer production gun, without getting into a custom build. Other than a Kimber, I can't think of anything else.

Another thing you mentioned, is that she is not a gun person and I assume has little experience with firearms. I am sure you are helping her as much as possible, but as you know, she needs more training and insight of what she will be shooting. In my opinion, I think that would help her with over coming any obstacle/confusion with a dao or da/sa revolver. Unfortunately, many people, think they will be able to shoot where they need to when the time comes. I am going through this with my mother. She has a dao Ruger LCR. I try to invite her to the range with me, so she be at least somewhat proficient with her gun of choice but getting through to some people, is difficult. I sincerely wish you good fortune with your search.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Sounds like we need to go look at a Kimber.

Thanks for the suggestion. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
If you can live with .38 look at the S&W 64 NY-1 version DAO K frame round butt most in 3” versions, made for NYPD can be had used for 350.00 or so on the web.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Dropping in a new hammer shouldn’t take any smithing.

That depends on two things:
The age of the gun, and what you consider "smithing".

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:

If you can live with .38 look at the S&W 64 NY-1 version DAO K frame round butt most in 3” versions, made for NYPD can be had used for 350.00 or so on the web.
I think that she prefers .357 (would be loaded with .38 SPL, but nice to have the option), but we'll discuss this, as an alternative. Thanks for the heads-up on this.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Apex website clearly states newer production models only. If you try it in your 1980’s K frame it probably won’t work. As for smithing I have bought a decent amount of Apex stuff, it all stated the whole gunsmith stuff, it’s a liability thing I bet. Never needed a gunsmith. I have Apex in 2 MP’s and a J frame snub. Never tried the hammer but if you have a recent gun I bet it drops right in.

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like we need to go look at a Kimber.

Thanks for the suggestion. Smile

I have a Kimber k6s and like it. The problem is lack of different styles of grips. I have a S&W 640 Performance Center and a Colt (new) King Cobra Carry. The Kimber has a very smooth DA trigger, good weight for the caliber but I haven't found the "right" after market grip to shoot .357 consistently out of it (there is a very limited selection at this point). The Colt has a bobbed hammer but also the smoothest and lightest trigger pull of the three. The Colt also has a very comfortable grip and I can consistently shoot .357 out of it. The S&W 640 is nice and comfortable to shoot with an after market grip. Trigger pull is okay, just not as good as the others. I could have a gunsmith I know work on the trigger pull but haven't had the time or inclination at this point.

My ideal EDC revolver is a S&W model 66 with 2.5 to 3 inch barrel, trigger job, and bobbed hammer. Shoot primarily .38+Ps and have at least one speed strip or speed loader with .357mag for reload.

UPDATED:

Another option is the Chiappa Rhino 200D. A friend and my brother in law have one (BIL is a 4 inch barrel). I have shoot both and very nice shooters, even in .357:

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger also made some DAO revolvers for NYPD and a couple other agencies. You might br able to find them used for a reasonable price.

I've handled the KIMBER, and liked it, but I would highly recommend reading the various Revolver guy articles on them.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tarheelbball
posted Hide Post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tarheelbball,

Posts: 514 | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tarheelbball:

Just reread the original, sorry not a 3in. Just got an email and remembered no hammer.

https://grabagun.com/ruger-sp1...eh=a53f62697b6d08351
That’s the model 5720. I referred to it in te opening post of this thread.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים