SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking For A Revolver
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking For A Revolver Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:

Amen.
And I'm not even taking Flomax! Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by patw:

IS this for the lady you mentioned or for yourself? I only ask as a small barrel/gun for a lady in that caliber, can be pretty stout. The Kimbers are nice but can be pricey. I remember seeing a Ruger LCR with a longer barrel but I can't remember where.
For the lady. LCR is nice for carry (my wife carries one in .357), but the one I'm looking for is NOT for carry, it will be a house gun.

Definitely want something heavier than an LCR. Something in the SP-101 or K-Frame class.

She has shot my S&W Model 65 4" and done well with it, but she definitely wants DAO internal hammer with NO possibility of manual cocking.

I believe that this is a good choice for her, and fully support what she wants, so no "bobbed hammer" or other substitute.

That being the case, the Kimber would be an ideal choice. Plus, six rounds in a revolver the size of a j-frame. She'd love the trigger.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know it's annoying, but some of us are speaking from experience. I would suggest that before your friend spends a dime that you take her to a local range and hand her your model 65 and a box of American Eagle 158 grain 357 Magnum JSP. If she makes it thru the full box then you can proceed to have her purchase anything she desires. You can also tell her that she has my respect because I would not willingly put a full box of that American Eagle thru a model 65 in one session because they sting.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I know it's annoying, but some of us are speaking from experience. I would suggest that before your friend spends a dime that you take her to a local range and hand her your model 65 and a box of American Eagle 158 grain 357 Magnum JSP. If she makes it thru the full box then you can proceed to have her purchase anything she desires. You can also tell her that she has my respect because I would not willingly put a full box of that American Eagle thru a model 65 in one session because they sting.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...120039764#1120039764

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could buy a K frame in 3" and have a gunsmith bob the hammer, making it a DAO bobbed hammer revolver. The K frame is a really nice size/weight for home defense.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

You could buy a K frame in 3" and have a gunsmith bob the hammer, making it a DAO bobbed hammer revolver. The K frame is a really nice size/weight for home defense.
Are you deliberately being an asshole?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
Her desired gun options really limit what’s available. Never shot a Kimber revolver but had enough bad experience with Kimber in general to steer clear.

I understand she doesn’t want the possibility of cocking the gun. Does she understand that popping the sideplate of a S&W and dropping in an Apex bobbed DAO hammer would meet her needs. There is ZERO chance that this combination will ever cock itself. Zero. Plus, the Apex doesn’t even have a SA notch so it’s impossible to cock.

I read all the above and not trying to be an asshole but the Apex option is easy (drop in) and opens up every K, L, and N frame S&W offers as a choice.

If she understood that internal hammer and spurless hammer without a SA notch are identical in safety, inadvertent cocking, etc, she might find it easier to buy the gun of choice.

If she requires internal hammer then she doesn’t have many options. That Kimber seems to be the only one.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
3 and 4" Ruger GP 100's are plentiful and you can get a replacement, spurless hammer from Ruger to make it DAO.

Sorry my friend, I just saw the "No bobbed hammer". So I'd recommend the Kimber.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to say that I got a Kimber 2 inch .357 DAO not too long ago and it is very impressive.

I also have Rugers and Smiths in .357.

My favorite is that Kimber. Their revolvers are excellent. Nice balance, excellent trigger, 6 shots and well made. They are pricey, but some Smiths and Rugers are not too much cheaper, and sometimes about the same.

Posts: 35 | Registered: June 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Pedro. On the surface, this seems to be the only "xyz" option offered so far, that might be an acceptable alternative to the stated preference for "abc."

I say "on the surface," because I know nothing, zero, about the Apex thingy.

The reasons for the DAO internal hammer choice are
  • no possibility of getting caught / snagged. There is no intention of carrying this at this time, but that could change.

• If she were able to cock it manually, there is the question of lowering the hammer safely. The people who frequent this forum are mostly gun aficionados. She is not. Yet. (There's always hope for her, though.)
I have never heard of the device that you are suggesting. Can you give me more information? Cost? Availability, as in where to get it? Any other information that you think would be helpful? Maybe a link to a website that shows it, and a user manual?

That would certainly open a new area of possibility, she really liked my S&W Model 65 4" when she fired it, and her groups, both DA and SA, were amazingly tight.

'Nother question: Is this device also offered for the Ruger SP-101 or GP-100 series? Tough guns, if she ran out of ammunition, she could use it as a bludgeon.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Waller and Sons used to make a gunsmith installed hammer shroud for some revolvers. It would require drilling and tapping the gun and probably still need to bob the hammer.

If you can find one, or a gun that has one on it, maybe it would work for you?

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:

Waller and Sons used to make a gunsmith installed hammer shroud for some revolvers. It would require drilling and tapping the gun and probably still need to bob the hammer.

If you can find one, or a gun that has one on it, maybe it would work for you?
Nope. The requirement is for zero, repeat ZERO (as in none whatsoever) possibility of cocking to SA mode.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special or their Pug in .357 Magnum. You can get them with rubber grips for added comfort shooting DA. Their hammers are bobbed from the factory. I vote for the Kimber posted above.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
https://store.apextactical.com...ducts/Details/191687

An example of the Apex. They are also very helpful, might be worth an email.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
ArtieS emailed a link to the Apex thingy. That might work and would open up a bunch of possibilities in the S & W line.

Possible downside is cost. Looks like $160.00 for the Apex kit. That, plus possible gunsmith costs (website states that it might require some fitting), might bring a S & W to more than the cost of a Kimber.

We'll have to look at both.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:

https://store.apextactical.com...ducts/Details/191687

An example of the Apex. They are also very helpful, might be worth an email.
Thanks, Riley. Looks like your post was made while I was looking at the same thing per email from ArtieS. Definite possibility, thank you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special or their Pug in .357 Magnum. You can get them with rubber grips for added comfort shooting DA. Their hammers are bobbed from the factory.
I don't think that you read this thread completely before you posted.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
No hammer, I know. They are bobbed and recessed into the frame. I did read you sir. Just posting some other options.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
A Norwegion Landstad revolver. Its cylinder is only 2 shot but is fed from a magazine. It has no hammer. Kind of a all steel Glockvolver.. Big Grin

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Kimber makes two 3" hammerless models, the TLE K6s and K6s stainless. You can get smaller guns in the hammerless configuration, or you can bob or install a custom hammer in a larger gun, bit AFAIK Kimber is the only company that fills you niche.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post