SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Looking For A Revolver
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking For A Revolver Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If you want a 2 or 3" .357, with a concealed hammer, then the Kimber KS6 is your only reasonable choice. I like revolvers as a BUG or as a EDC, I have carried just about everything in that category (including the upside down barrel gun-which ain't bad); but the Kimber stands out from any other for the following reasons:
1. Weight, it is heavy enough to shoot enough magnum rounds to become effective without flinching.
2. It will shoot any number of full power .357 rounds without undue wear(the S&W K frame will not).
3.The DAO action is the best I have used on a factory gun, it is better out of the box than my very heavily customized S&W M65 3" in which I have invested 4+ times the money than I did the Kimber.
4. The frame has the capability of taking grips for the smallest or the largest hand. I use the Kimber larger grip that comes on their 3" gun. More aftermarket grips will come with the guns increasing popularity.
5. It is the easiest DAO revolver to learn with, this is from a combination of sights, trigger action, grips, ease of reloading and soaks up recoil to the point that .38 Special +P is really close to a much smaller caliber, not like a .22LR, but much like a .22WMR. Also deserving of mention is ease of changing said sights, or at least the front sight, with the rear sight being a Novak type also easier to adjust/replace than any other wheelgun in this class I have encountered.
6. Ths size of the weapon is only slightly larger than the S&W J frame-with 6 rounds.
I do have an all SS M60 and it just is a harder to shoot weapon, it can be made to shoot as well as the Kimber, but only with a lot of custom work and finding exactly the right grips(easier said than done.
My second choice would be my Chippia Rhino, but it looks weird, shoots very well though. Also hard to find holsters for.
Kimber has come out with a SA/DA hammer model in 2,3 and 4 inch barrels as well as DAO, but I will stick with my original. This is the only revolver (outside of the Rhino) that I have felt no need to modify-except grips-right out of the box.
I use Buffalo Bore short barrel specialty rounds in .357 with the 158 GR SP, I anticipate no stopping power problems and it is slick to reload using the proper reloaders.
Yeah, I like it a lot, and I don't (and won't) own any Kimber 1911 or other weapon system.
Her DAO requirement is not as unusual as it might first appear. I recall 2 incidents with newer police officers; both got their revolvers cocked while loaded. One officer wrapped the weapon with rags and duct tape between the hammer and the frame and brought it into me and very abashedly told be about the situation, got out my knife and we performed the requisite surgery, and I uncocked the weapon safely, then taught the officer how to do so. The other officer took the easy way out-just fired the gun into the toilet, with the muzzle just under the water surface, with predictable results. Unfortunately the officer lived on the 35th floor of a large apartment building, gave me a chance to show off my engineering education explaining how hydraulic pressure worked and that water did not compress well.
One officer was male, the other was female, I will not state which incident involved which gender.
BTW, I carried a 3" S&W Centennial .38 Special at the time. Yeah DAO was (and is) a good idea.
Get the Kimber, and train,train and then train some more.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post