SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on HK P30
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on HK P30 Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted
If you have any experience owning or shooting a H&K P30, please share your opinion.

I have a VP9 I like a lot. I also have a CZ P07, which isn't bad, but I feel is missing something. There aren't a lot of choices in the way of polymer frame DA/SA pistols, and I'm not at all interested in the Springfield XDE platform.

If the P30 is like a VP9 frame w/ a P229 trigger, I'd be happy w/ that.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
If you have any experience owning or shooting a H&K P30, please share your opinion.

I think thats a good comparison. I sold my VP9's I like the P30 more especially the P30L. I've heard getting a trigger job really improves them.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opinion? It's my favorite DA/SA platform. Fits my hand like a glove, shoots well for me, well built...checks all the boxes, really. Have a P30 and P30L, both V3 in 9mm w/night sights, and they are fantastic. Love the paddle mag releases as well.

It does seem to sit higher in the hand than the VP9, and the trigger obviously breaks in a different spot.

As to the P30 being a VP9 frame with a P229 trigger...yes and no. The P229 trigger feels different, and the P30/VP9 aren't the same feeling in hand (but are close).

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
Great gun, but won't have as nice as a trigger as the P229. That's an easy fix with a lighter hammer spring.

While not as ergo as the P30, I really like the SP2022 also and it has a great stock trigger.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
My primary carry is a P30S. Fantastic pistol.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
The P30L is easily my favorite HK, and the P30 line are all fantastic firearms.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
The P30L is easily my favorite HK

This.

I lucked out, my P30L V3 trigger was exceptionally nice for a stock HK trigger.
Big Grin

P30 triggers can be hit or miss (used to be really heavy on the DA/SA ones), but I think the newer ones are significantly better. Plus it's relatively easy to lighten them up if needed.

quote:

If you mean along the lines of is it a DA/SA VP9 - yes it is.
And you'll be VERY happy with it.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I have several. I love them. Also check out CZ. P07 and P09 are pretty nice.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/9210092124/p/1

Nothing has really changed. I love my P30. No problems whatsoever. Great accurate shooter. Now that they are so cheap it’s a no brainer. I have no regrets and I paid “HK MONEY” for mine.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went through a P30 addiction. Shot it in competition and carried one. Really (except for below RMR issue) there is little that is better. Ergo's are mint, you can run a bunch of different modes including with a safety if that's your preference. Get a long slide etc. etc. BUT my next phase of shooting was using an RMR on a pistol and in this area its a problem. You can get a VP9 milled (I have several done by Parker Mountain Machine) but I have not found someone to mill a P30. At this point I am now all in on using an RMR.
If that's not your issue I can't actually point to any big issues. Some complain about the DA pull but it has not been an issue on mine.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Nice ergonomics, but it's not close to being blessed with my favorite factory trigger, particularly the V3. I don't mind the DA pull weight so much, but there's A LOT of travel in takeup, overtravel and reset in both DA and SA that at least for me would benefit from a trigger job to tighten/shorten things up. From my striker perspective it just feels abusively sloppy, and doesn't invoke confidence with all of that flapping trigger finger motion, especially with rapid fire drills.

There are times that I can actually shoot my P30 well, then there are times when I regress and cease having any clue as to why I'm subjecting myself to this madness. Meanwhile I don't have anything close to the same extent of this 'issue' with my USP, USPc or any of my P-SIGs.

The HK P30 V3: the gun that I've brainwashed myself into really wanting to like.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Now that they are so cheap it’s a no brainer. I have no regrets and I paid “HK MONEY” for mine.

Cheap? In my area, I've been seeing them new and used for more than comparable VP9s. What do you think is FMV for new and lightly used P30s?

People still price their USPs for almost twice a comparable Glock, which I don't get.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
P30s dropped to 500-700ish depending on model, vendor etc. my P30 was just this side of a grand. They are much cheaper now.

USPS have held their price relative to P30/P2000/HK45/HK45C

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Buy one and send it to Robert Burke. You’ll like the DA/SA then.

It may just be me, but every HK I’ve owned needed break in. Once the HK broke in and with Robert’s trigger work, it ain’t going anywhere. I have a P30sk as well. Great combo for just about any carry need.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
It may just be me, but every HK I’ve owned needed break in

Most of mine out of the box are GTG but the 9mm HKs do seem to need hotter and or heavier ammo to loosen them up enough to run the cheap powder puff stuff. They are tightly fitted and heavily sprung out of the box.......as a combat gun should be.

Picture of FP2000H
posted Hide Post
Ergos are decent. I have actually come to prefer the P320 over it. I think the P30 is slightly different than the VP9. The texture is definitely more aggressive which I like, but there seems to be something else. It just holds better.

I’m a big fan of the LEM trigger.

I wish the mags held 17-18 rounds. The P30 is a solid gun.

#COMMUNISTMANBAD

Posts: 1737 | Location: TX | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 p30L's, one p30, and one p30sk all in 9mm. People complain about the trigger but with a little work you can run the pistols just about as well as any other. They are fantastic pistols.

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I've had a P30 v3 for several years. Sent it to Grayguns a few years ago and the trigger is much better. I trust it to operate consistently as much as any gun I own.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Buy one and send it to Robert Burke. You’ll like the DA/SA then.

I'll second this!

Posts: 1417 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My feelings are that the P229 will have a better out of the box DA/SA trigger than the P30 trigger...which I find to be relatively, pretty bad. However, this is also in the context of me shooting a lot of Beretta pistols lately, some with professional trigger work. The P30 DA/SA trigger is certainly serviceable as is, but I personally would probably have it sent off to Gray Guns or Lazy Wolf for a little work.

Otherwise the ergonomics are excellent and I prefer the European style paddle magazine release. My favorite iteration of the P30 is the V1/V2 LEM which is reflected in the fact that all 5 I own are V1s.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post