SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig Slide (Mostly) Discoloration In Photo?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Slide (Mostly) Discoloration In Photo? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Hey y'all,

In this crop from a photo of an allegedly new Sig:

The discoloration seen on the slide, as well as a bit on the bottom of the rail and on the grip: Would that be from whatever protective stuff Sig applies to a new pistol + the storage in a plastic bag?

Mainly idle curiosity.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Oils do funny things in pictures. If oiled, wipe as much off with a dry rag before pictures. Best way to see the true condition of a gun in a picture is if all the oil is removed with a degreaser, then wiped again to remove any degreaser residue.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
it's fine. Wipe it down and you will be good to go.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I would want to see it for real or ask for a pic wiped down but that does look like what a plastic bag coated in preservatives does to most guns. It should wipe right off. I have gotten a couple new guns over the years where I had a moment of "Oh my god this is jacked up" only to have a good cleaning take care of it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Depends on how much oil was in the plastic baggie that the pistol came wrapped in. Needs a thorough wipe down before any real judgment regarding defects can be made, but a number of SIGs that have come through our shop have come out of their cases looking very similar to this and wiped up nicely. Most times a dry cloth is all that it takes; on rare occasions a little cleaner or gun oil is used.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Looks like it's probably as I suspected.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post