SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M11A1 Hammer Cocked
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M11A1 Hammer Cocked Login/Join 
posted
Hello,

Having used mostly striker fired Glocks, is the M11A1 safe to be carried in holster with the hammer cocked or is that something I do if I need to at the time?

Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Negative

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No way would I carry a DA/SA pistol with the hammer cocked.

That's why it is DA/SA, you fire the first shot using DA.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No and no.

1) DA/SA guns, M11A1 included are designed to be carried hammer down. DA first shot...transition to SA for subsequent...decock...re-holster. Light, crisp SA trigger is not he same as a striker fired one, which is heavier and has longer travel to discharge. Striker safety is provided not just by weight, but by length of travel as well.

2) Again, designed to use the DA for the first shot. Cocking takes time, which can get you killed in a close range encounter. Thumb can also slip off under stress. If I was at a longer distance and behind cover, I might consider it. Personally, I don't train for two modes...first shot is always DA. Some don't want to take the time to learn proper DA/SA technique. If that's the case, use another platform.

Welcome to Sig World.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, thats exactly what I was looking for. Having never really carried this type thus the question. As always the group comes through.

Bill

posted Hide Post
I'm very glad you asked. I think you may be confusing the M11A1 with the 1911A1, a very different type of pistol.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fredward, I did carry the 45 in Vietnam and fired a few times since in the Army but it was a long time ago.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by police340:
Thanks Fredward, I did carry the 45 in Vietnam and fired a few times since in the Army but it was a long time ago.

Thanks for having been there.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Thanks for having been there.

It was an honor and privilege to serve our great nation Redneck. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
No and no.

1) DA/SA guns, M11A1 included are designed to be carried hammer down. DA first shot...transition to SA for subsequent...decock...re-holster. Light, crisp SA trigger is not he same as a striker fired one, which is heavier and has longer travel to discharge. Striker safety is provided not just by weight, but by length of travel as well.

2) Again, designed to use the DA for the first shot. Cocking takes time, which can get you killed in a close range encounter. Thumb can also slip off under stress. If I was at a longer distance and behind cover, I might consider it. Personally, I don't train for two modes...first shot is always DA. Some don't want to take the time to learn proper DA/SA technique. If that's the case, use another platform.

Welcome to Sig World.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by training in proper DA/SA technique? You explained everything else well and I appreciate that.

posted Hide Post
Proper technique is shooting DA from the holster. Some try and cure the DA disadvantages by cocking the gun but its silly.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Proper technique is shooting DA from the holster. Some try and cure the DA disadvantages by cocking the gun but its silly.

Thanks hrcjon.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
No and no.

Welcome to Sig World.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by training in proper DA/SA technique? You explained everything else well and I appreciate that.

Unfortunately, it's difficult (for me anyway) to instruct via forum. While it's not difficult to teach in person. I find trying to verbalize the technique in detail to be like verbally explaining how to tie a shoelace or necktie.

Very generally, the beginning of the DA stroke takes place BEFORE the gun is fully on target and continues until the sights are fully aligned and the shot breaks. Prepping the trigger, in other words. You DON"T wait until the gun is FULLY aligned on target and then begin the DA stroke. It's similar to advanced revolver technique.

Again, unfortunately, there are not a lot of good DA/SA instructors that understand the technique, much less teach it. It's not difficult, but you have to understand the principles. In one of our Basic Pistol courses we had two shooters using DA/SA pistols. I instructed them (live fire), since I was the designated DA/SA goto guy. Both were good shots SA. I asked if they had tried DA and they said yes, but couldn't hit anything. In person, it only took about 15 minutes to explain, demo and coach before they began getting good two shot DA/SA groups.

jljones has had some posts regarding the prepping technique and teaches same in his opspecs courses:

www.opspectraining.com
Check out our customer appreciation class
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...1105858/m/7790088624

With luck, you may get a post from him with a better explanation.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nipper.

Bill

quote:
quote:
quote:
No and no.

Welcome to Sig World.

Unfortunately, it's difficult (for me anyway) to instruct via forum. While it's not difficult to teach in person. I find trying to verbalize the technique in detail to be like verbally explaining how to tie a shoelace or necktie.

Very generally, the beginning of the DA stroke takes place BEFORE the gun is fully on target and continues until the sights are fully aligned and the shot breaks. Prepping the trigger, in other words. You DON"T wait until the gun is FULLY aligned on target and then begin the DA stroke. It's similar to advanced revolver technique.

Again, unfortunately, there are not a lot of good DA/SA instructors that understand the technique, much less teach it. It's not difficult, but you have to understand the principles. In one of our Basic Pistol courses we had two shooters using DA/SA pistols. I instructed them (live fire), since I was the designated DA/SA goto guy. Both were good shots SA. I asked if they had tried DA and they said yes, but couldn't hit anything. In person, it only took about 15 minutes to explain, demo and coach before they began getting good two shot DA/SA groups.

jljones has had some posts regarding the prepping technique and teaches same in his opspecs courses:

www.opspectraining.com
Check out our customer appreciation class
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...1105858/m/7790088624

With luck, you may get a post from him with a better explanation.