SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Blackhawk Omnivore holster review.(Really is pretty AWESOME!!)

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Blackhawk Omnivore holster review.(Really is pretty AWESOME!!) Login/Join 
posted
So I was looking for a light bearing holster for all of my guns with WML's attached. I mold all of my own Kydex holsters which is not worth it unless you have a bunch of pistols which I just so happen to have. I was just tired of having to mold so many
Holsters for all of my light bearing guns so I started to search for an alternative. Then I hear about the Blackhawk Omnivore. Haven't been a fan of Blackhawk holsters before but I was intrigued. Seemed to check all the boxes for what I needed. I needed a holster that would accept all of my guns with WML's, had to have option for a paddle (This is going to be my bump in the night holster so I need to be able to put it on in a hurry. This is NOT going to be used as a duty holster.) and I wanted retention.

Only offerings I could find were Safariland which are just too damn expensive and I would need to buy one for each gun. So at $55.00 I figured I would give the Omnivore a shot. They claim that it will fit OVER a hundred different guns. Well all I can say is color me impressed. Don't know for sure if it fits over a hundred guns but it fits all of mine and then some. Went to my buddies gun store and we tried it on a bunch of guns in the showcase.

It is so damn nice to have one holster fit all of my guns. The holster only holds on to the light and nowhere else. So no more scratched WML's or scratched slides from the Kydex wearing on it. Retention is good and intuitive. I like it so much that I'm picking up another one to convert it for a thigh rig option. You guys should seriously check it out. One holster for all your light bearing guns at a fantastic price point.

List of guns I have tried that fit with TLR-1 and TLR-2
Glock G20, 17, 19
Sig P226, P229, 1911
FNH FNX 45 Tactical, 5.7
Springfield MC Operator and Range Officer Operator
HK45CT (I had to modify the light to fit on the HK but it still works in the Omnivore)
S&W M&P9 full size

(As a side note they do make the holster for guns with rails but no light attached. You have to use a goofy rail attachment for it though.)

I am done molding holsters for every gun I own that wears a light.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
How does the retention work? That isn't clear from what I've read.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Thumb button like a Safariland. Retention is internal and is done through the light.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have to admit, it is an intriguing concept.

The idea of not having to spend $60 for a new holster any time I get a new gun (and potentially an extra 60 if I want the option for light and no light) kind of sucks, so having one to do it all is attractive.

Problem is, I'm on the school of thought that combination tools typically aren't terribly good at the individual roles they're designed to combine. So I'm leery of something like this.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
quote:

The idea of not having to spend $60 for a new holster any time I get a new gun (and potentially an extra 60 if I want the option for light and no light) kind of sucks, so having one to do it all is attractive.

Problem is, I'm on the school of thought that combination tools typically aren't terribly good at the individual roles they're designed to combine. So I'm leery of something like this.

It works great for what I needed. It would also be great as a duty holster when used without the paddle. It is definitely not a concealed carry holster. In the role I wanted it for as a bump in the night holster it is FANTASTIC. I have not seen any negatives in this use with any of the guns I have tried it on.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
Though not listed on the package or site, it works flawlessly with the Beretta Railed 90 series pistols, too.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
quote:
quote:

It works great for what I needed. It would also be great as a duty holster when used without the paddle. It is definitely not a concealed carry holster. In the role I wanted it for as a bump in the night holster it is FANTASTIC. I have not seen any negatives in this use with any of the guns I have tried it on.

I agree, it looks like a great option for a range/training holster. I like my KT holsters for OWB CC, which ride 330 and have some forward cant. However, I like a straight drop 3 o clock for training/range duty. Having the flexibility to throw anything in the same holster saves a LOT of money.

None of my other holsters have active retention like that, so I don't know whether I'd like that. Is the retention mechanism removable?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
quote:
quote:

I agree, it looks like a great option for a range/training holster. I like my KT holsters for OWB CC, which ride 330 and have some forward cant. However, I like a straight drop 3 o clock for training/range duty. Having the flexibility to throw anything in the same holster saves a LOT of money.

None of my other holsters have active retention like that, so I don't know whether I'd like that. Is the retention mechanism removable?

No. If you removed it the gun would just flop around. All the retention is via the light. The retention system is very intuitive.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The Safariland press-the-button retention release is my favorite these days. It’s as easy to operate as the old traditional thumb break strap and probably more secure.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I guess it's probably because I haven't tried a true retention holster like that yet.

For only $50-60 maybe worth a shot.

posted Hide Post
Interesting idea for less money.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't get it. People will willing buy a $500 handgun, a $100 light, night sights, and do all this other stuff (and do it several times over with 5-6 different handguns)......and bitch about having to spend $40-$100 on a new holster each time. OR...they buy a $5 gun mate holster, or a catch all like this holster. I find it much simpler if money is the case to stick with one type of gun and holster.

I admittedly do not see the attraction.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blackhawk Omnivore

Safariland has their GLS Pro-Fit series that will handle non-WML pistols. Six separate sizes, each working with a multitude of different pistol designs. Safariland claims that at least 225 different pistol designs will work with at least one of those six. Only downer is that it's only for OWB-carry. Frown

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Report This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I guess I don't get it. People will willing buy a $500 handgun, a $100 light, night sights, and do all this other stuff (and do it several times over with 5-6 different handguns)......and bitch about having to spend $40-$100 on a new holster each time. OR...they buy a $5 gun mate holster, or a catch all like this holster. I find it much simpler if money is the case to stick with one type of gun and holster.

I used to buy a holster for every different pistol I would pick up, even if I didn't carry it anywhere but at a shooting range. After a while I got tired of that, not only the expense over a seldom-used holster but just keeping track of which holster was for what gun, since the holsters didn't follow their respective guns into the safe for storage. For this sort of limited use I see real value in having a decent working universal holster.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I don't spend money on holsters because I make my own. I just got tired of making one for every gun I own with a light on it. Making IWB's for concealed carry isn't a big deal but making them for lights is a pain. That's why I tried this out and it works perfect for what I needed. I didn't once bitch about paying for holsters in my original post.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm