SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sauer 38H....anybody have one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sauer 38H....anybody have one? Login/Join 
Picture of jwk226
posted
Hello all, I do not post here to often, and am trying to change that! I have always been a fan of Sigs and just saw a Sauer 38H for sale at a pawn shop. A collector was selling off some of his WWII items, and a 38H was one of them. It seems like a second or third variation, as the Sauer and Sohns name is not on the slide. I have never seen one in person, and do not know too much about them other than it was the beginning of all the later Sigs, but it has me wondering if many Sig enthusiasts have one of these? It is my understanding that these were plentiful during the war. Thanks for reading!

Posts: 63 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a post war 38H in .32acp. Good shooter as I can recall. Got in a trade for some radio stuff.

I'm told the war issue 38H is worth quite a bit. Look for Nazi markings.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jwk226
posted Hide Post
Thanks GW!! Appreciate the comments! This one had an Eagle holding an N.

Posts: 63 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Mine is a “not perfect” example with heavy finish wear, but a nice shooter. Some kind of weird aftermarket mag, but it works. I love the action on it, and always thought it would have been cool for Sig to have carried it through to their modern pistols.

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@GWbiker: It's my understanding that when WW II was over, that also marked the end of production for the Sauer und Sohn 38H pistol. There were commercial ones also made during the war IIRC.

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
@GWbiker: It's my understanding that when WW II was over, that also marked the end of production for the Sauer und Sohn 38H pistol. There were commercial ones also made during the war IIRC.

It's been damn near 40 years since I briefly owned that 38H, but I remember being told at a gun shop it was a post war production. However, it IS possible it was a commercial issued handgun.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jwk226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:

Mine is a “not perfect” example with heavy finish wear, but a nice shooter. Some kind of weird aftermarket mag, but it works. I love the action on it, and always thought it would have been cool for Sig to have carried it through to their modern pistols.

Bill R

I do like the action on it too, Styliphiles. You can use the decocker a second time to set it to single action again. Thanks for sharing! Looks like a fun shooter!

Picture of jwk226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akaSigFreak:

That is the real deal right there SigFreak!! It is a beautiful piece of art. I think I am inspired to pick up the one that I saw at the store, just to have a piece of this history. Thanks!!

Picture of akaSigFreak
posted Hide Post
Thanks. My Grandfather engraved it by hand while recovering from knee surgery many years ago. Every surface has been engraved and he installed the genuine ivory in the grips.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: February 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jwk226
posted Hide Post
What a cool story! Your grandfather did an amazing job on the engraving.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
He really did.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I'm a collector of pre-war Lindner Daly and J.P. Sauer shotguns, so, I also had an interest in a Sauer handgun as well. I had a couple of opportunities to put one in the safe, but never closed a deal on one.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post