SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bolt action... pistol?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt action... pistol? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Not something I’d mess with at this particular point in time but by dad was able to get his elk, mule deer and a pronghorn a few years ago while recovering from rotator cuff surgery thanks to these guns.

They are funny though how they just go by definition, I realize that’s the whole point but when you have a bolt action pistol mounted to a rock solid tripod it’s hardly a pistol....except that it is because there’s no buttstock.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
A Handgun in 308? Sounds like something you would see in a Charles Bronson movie back in the 70's.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
"^^ No Lone Eagle? I always kinda wondered why those didn't take off a bit more than they did."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHQZ6I2BE6E

I had a Lone Eagle SSP in 30-06 decades ago.
While a nice idea on paper, in reality it sucked.
Most of the fire control parts are located in the stock. Once cocked and then fired, a steel action rod travels to the rear in the stock, hits a pivoting steel bar at the rotary cannon breech which reverses the direction of motion and then impacts the firing pin. Trigger pull is measured in tons, not pounds and ounces. Did I mention when used outside in cold weather it didn't go bang when the trigger was pulled? I even bought a new "Gen 2" stock at significant expense from the manufacturer with the "upgraded" fire control components. Still no joy. Kindergarten children with a tinker toy set could design a more satisfactory fire control system. Mine was sold as soon as I found it wouldn't go bang during cold weather.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Since this thread has drifted a bit I will put some photos up.
XP-100R in .35 Remington and Aimpoint.

Guns 012 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

T/C Encore in 30-06 with Leupold 2.5 X 8 EER. Barrel is from former T/C Custom Shop Fox Ridge Outfitters. Routinely shoots sub one inch at 100 yards from sandbag rest with cheap factory ammo.

Guns 003 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Both.

Guns 023 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

XP-100R action detail. This has a blind box magazine, no floor plate.

Guns 037 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

S & W Performance Center in .500 S & W. Leupold 2.5 X 8 EER. 10.5 inch barrel.

Destroyer 001 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Destroyer 002 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

All of the above are regularly used for hunting.

NRA Instructor

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
I had a Lone Eagle SSP in 30-06 decades ago.
While a nice idea on paper, in reality it sucked.

Razz Fine, pour the ice-cold water of facts on my buzz. That relatively thin metal bar on the left side was the cocker, wasn't it?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is the cocking lever. I learned to deal with the crappy trigger pull on the Lone Eagle through pre hunting season practice. But the no bang finalized my rejection of the Lone Eagle platform.

NRA Instructor

posted Hide Post
I have a bolt action pistol- although it is a crossman pump pellet pistol.

Does that count?

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
There are/were a handful of States that only allowed shotguns, muzzle-loaders and ‘handguns’ for deer hunting, in certain areas. Many of these bolt actions type pistols were used for such hunting.

I know WI has opened up most of the State to centerfire deer hunting. A few other states have done similar, or the ‘straight wall’ cartridges in a rifle. These bolt handguns have somewhat fallen out of favor, for hunting.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
This thread, without intending to, makes something of a statement about fashions and the passage of time - no one's mentioned silhouette shooting.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post