SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bolt action... pistol?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt action... pistol? Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
Seems weird to put this in pistols... but it is what it is...

https://www.remington.com/handguns/700-cp

Only use I can think of here is as a basis for a .300blk SBR bolt gun

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda neat to see a new take on an old concept. I know lots of guys that long range handgun hunt with XP100’s. I always liked the savage striker better since it had a left handed action and seemed better for running the bolt since you can keep your right hand on the grip.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I think Nosler does it better, but then again I think the XP100 was not only more attractive, but probably more ergonomic than something with an AR15 pistol grip bolted on.

The Nosler, for anyone who might be curious. http://www.nosler.com/nosler-handgun

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
All it needs is a SB Tactical adjustable brace and a M-LOK AFG and it'll be oh so GTG. Head shots galore! Zombies will DIE NOW, and DIE HARD! Razz

Rather I think a straight-pull side-charger would be a better ("kewler") solution than a conventional turn-bolt, especially if the charging is done by the weak hand.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
F’ugly.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the back of the receiver is threaded so you can attach a pistol brace. Knowing Remington's poor decisions of late I doubt it.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
I wonder if the back of the receiver is threaded so you can attach a pistol brace. Knowing Remington's poor decisions of late I doubt it.
Looks to be, as it's covered with a cap.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Why?

Seriously what role does this fill? If your going to add a brace why not just have a stock and keep it a rifle? I'm not getting what use this has. Not trying to be an ass, I really don't get it.

It's way too big to be shot one handed or carried as a pistol, and loses the control of being a rifle?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Why?

...snip...

Handgun hunting / varminting and silhouette shooting. Remington has made the XP-100 for years in that category, as is the Thompson Center Contender, and as noted above, the Nosler.

Typically they are shot from a rest, tripod, shooting sticks, or have a bipod attached.

The TC Contender is nice as it has the ability to quick change barrels. I have a friend who has one with barrels in .22 LR, .223, .35 Remington and .44 magnum. The hammer has a reversible face on it to convert from rimfire to centerfire. The arguable benefit of this new offering from Remington is that it isn't a single shot or break action, which would be particularly nice for handgun varminting when you are typically shooting prone.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12747 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Why?

Seriously what role does this fill? If your going to add a brace why not just have a stock and keep it a rifle? I'm not getting what use this has. Not trying to be an ass, I really don't get it.

It's way too big to be shot one handed or carried as a pistol, and loses the control of being a rifle?

As an actual legitimate use, I've seen some people who, for health reasons, can't shoot hunting rifles, but use pistols like this with a bipod or rest for hunting.

I've also seen people use them as a way to "game the system" and hunt with what is essentially a rifle during extended hunting seasons that prohibit the use of rifles (e.g., many states have periods before or after the main deer hunting season that only allow bows, crossbows, and pistols).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
The county I formerly lived in had a blanket restriction on rifles for big game hunting for decades. I gamed the system with a T/C Encore single shot pistol in 30-06 and a Remington XP-100R (bolt action repeater with blind box magazine) in .35 Rem.
I even had a Game Warden freak out about the XP-100R. He thought it was a SBR.
He couldn't believe it was a handgun. I asked him if he wanted to see my pistol license.
He declined.
I would love one of those fugly new 700 pistols!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I wish the bolt handle was on the left hand side.
Easier for a righty to cycle the bolt.

I always had eyes for the Weatherby MkV pistol.

Pistols of this nature are excellent for those who have a shoulder injury that precludes the use of a rifle in normal circumstances.

Having had a damaged shoulder, handgun hunting was a viable option for me.

Interesting offering from Remington.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a Rem 700R in 7-08, Thompson Encore handgun in 243 & 223.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When our county was "shotgun only" for deer hunting, pistols were allowed.
I always used my XP100R, in 7mm-08, that was built in their custom shop, before they sold the crappy, production models.
The gun would shoot 1" groups at 200 yards. I don't think I ever took a deer at less than 200 yards.
Now, our county allows rifles, so I have the pistol up for sale locally, because it doesn't fit in the original box with the Burris scope mounted, and ammo is going with it.

Posts: 221 | Location: WI | Registered: October 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I came up with 8 or 9 companies just off the top of my head that have made bolt action "technical pistols", and that's not even getting into the smaller custom boutique builders. Nothing new here, don't blame us if you've been under a rock for the last 50 years. Wink

Why? Fun.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand the niche a bolt action pistol like this might fill. What I don't get is the addition of the detachable magazine and modular rail. That stuff just seems unnecessarily "tacticool." Still, it's kind of neat anyway.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
They're fun is why. Here's my XP100 in 7mmBR. It's accurate as all get out and a fire breather! Big Grin Bought new in '94 and replaced the factory stock with this Fajen. Scope is a Burris 2-7x32 LER Plex. I use a B-Square a2000 adjustable length monopod with interchangeable heads (hiking ball, Y fork shooting rest, 1/4" threaded camera mount).

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Arc has a Dominator kit for a 1911. Really cool (although I can't find a pic of his) and loads of fun.

Closest thing I have to a pistol with a bolt would be a Desert Eagle.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ No Lone Eagle? I always kinda wondered why those didn't take off a bit more than they did.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
All it needs is a SB Tactical adjustable brace and a M-LOK AFG and it'll be oh so GTG. Head shots galore! Zombies will DIE NOW, and DIE HARD! Razz

Rather I think a straight-pull side-charger would be a better ("kewler") solution than a conventional turn-bolt, especially if the charging is done by the weak hand.

So like a Gibbz side charging AR without a gas tube?

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post