SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New to me P229 9mm, guide rod question, other suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me P229 9mm, guide rod question, other suggestions Login/Join 
posted
Good evening all. I just picked up a older 229(circa 2008) and when I disassebled it to clean and replace springs I noticed it has a metal guide rod. Was this factory for that time or is it some aftermarket. I was eventually going to get a Gray Guns Fat guide rod. Thanks

Other things:

I was going to replace the main spring. It has the newer short style, is there a Sig Factory spring available or should I just go with a Wolff one?
Same for the firing pin spring.

Planning in adding the Short Reach trigger and the SRT at some point as well.

Any other suggestions?

Posts: 28 | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It does not look like any factory rods I have ever seen. Solid rods have been factory original at times, but the front ends do not have any sort of indentation. If the rod is drilled through (can't tell from the photo), that would not be typical of factory rods either.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not drilled through or hollow from what I can tell, I will poke at it later. Definitely not hollow like a 228 guide rod.

Posts: 28 | Registered: May 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Older P229’s have a hollow steel guide rod, at least all I have owned. That looks a little like the Bedair Guide Rods but the Bedairs I have don’t have a hole.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of g26s239
posted Hide Post
My 229s came with the hollow guide rods. Now all my Classic Sigs have Bedair guide rods. Bedair made good stuff, too bad.

Posts: 1284 | Registered: September 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post