SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking Of Going Back To .380 For Pocket Carry- Winner: Kahr CW380
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking Of Going Back To .380 For Pocket Carry- Winner: Kahr CW380 Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
They easily pocketed SIG P230/232 is related to the same mythical creature, the easily pocketed Glock 26.

Both are related to Big Foot, aka Sasquatch and-are often talked of, but never seen or photographed.

Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If I wanted to carry a .380, it would be a Seecamp, or the NAA clone. It would be something REALLY tiny. That's what I see the utility of that cartridge for. Once you start getting bigger, nowadays you need to start looking at the subcompact 9mms.

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson:
He is right. I used to carry Seecamp or Pony in the pocket, J-Frame or Sig P232 were mostly in a concealment holster. Though I have previously carried them in cargo shorts pockets...but not an option for most clothing.
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I've always thought of the P232 as big for a .380. This post made me check. Compared to the P365, the P232 is bigger in every dimension, and if not heavier, basically the same weight. As PASig said, it's not a pocket gun.

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson:
Considering this is a Sig forum there is not a lot of love for the P232.

Sig P232 .380 is a fantastic little pistol. Reliable, great grip ergonomics, easy point and shoot ergonomics, good sight picture, accurate, flat/thin for concealed holstering, did I mention RELIABLE (most .380 pistols aren't).

I have extensively carried Seecamp .380's, Sig P232 and customized colt pony pistols. Those are the only .380's that I have never experienced a malfunction with.

Sig is the largest of the 3 but it is the easiest to shoot and most confident inspiring of all the .380's I have tried.

My P232 is a lightweight frame, black finish with a white night sight up front and a plain black rear sight. I can draw and put rounds on target with ease even if the situation is dark, drunk and moving.

P232 is my choice.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Sig P230/232 is a little larger than a Walther PPK but not much. I've had a P232 over fifteen years and never during shooting has it ever failed to fire or eject. Yes, the slide can bit if you are not careful but after only one time you learn to properly position your hands.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a Taurus TCP 738 in a Desantis Nemesis Pocket Holster. That setup carries and draws well from my front pocket, and for me the trigger is a smoother, lighter pull than the LCP or P3AT. Reliability is good, no failures in several hundred rounds of ball and hollow point ammo, and it is certainly accurate enough for up close and personal defense situations. I use the Pearce grip extensions on my magazines, and they don't add any appreciable bulk while allowing me a firmer grip.

Posts: 35 | Location: Eastern N.C. | Registered: November 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't steer you away from the 380 if that's what you like, but... I shot my son's Bodyguard yesterday. The trigger is decent, the sights are okay, but recoil is fierce for that little gun. For me, a G43 or P365 are much more comfortable. Try somebody's 365 if you haven't is my .02.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone is considering the LCP I (slide does not lock back), PSA still has them for $169 with free shipping:

https://palmettostatearmory.co...6rd-pistol-3701.html

Mine disappears in a pocket inside a DeSantis Nemesis.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THIEF/banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
.380 For Pocket Carry

I just got the Beretta Pico 380 yesterday. I love its size (really thin!). I have always had revolvers before so I'm looking forward to having something so easily concealable. I will give an update after I test it out at the range.

Posts: 71 | Location: PA | Registered: July 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
They easily pocketed SIG P230/232 is related to the same mythical creature, the easily pocketed Glock 26.

Both are related to Big Foot, aka Sasquatch and-are often talked of, but never seen or photographed.

I right front pocket carry a Glock 26 about 1/3 of the year. Glock 42/43 get pocket carried the rest of the time. With a j frame a few days a year. The key is big ass pockets. And since I despise IWB or OWB carry, I carry pocket carry 365 days a year. TruSpec cargo shorts will absolutely pocket carry a Glock 26 pistol very easily.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great info here, Gents! Couple comments - hope they are on-topic. I had a chance to handle a recent LCP-2 today. Compared to when they first came out, I noticed that the hammer is noticeably cammed back now during trigger pull. Before, it was barely perceptible, at least to me. Looks to me like it's more acceptable for pocket carry now.

And, I had an S&W BG380 from 2014 until 2016. The trigger on it was awful - awful to the point of being unusable. At least in my old hands, I didn't have any confidence of hitting anything with it beyond 5-yards. I've decided to go ahead and get one of the SA 911 .380's. Pricey but good reviews and very well made.

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoJelly:
...I've decided to go ahead and get one of the SA 911 .380's. Pricey but good reviews and very well made.

This is simply a question out of curiousity. Why the 911 and not the fairly well proven 238?

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is simply a question out of curiousity. Why the 911 and not the fairly well proven 238?

I have a P238, and like it but like the feel and weight of the SA911 better. The 911 may weigh the same as the 238 but it feels lighter to me. Prolly not a nickel's worth of difference between them - except the loaded-chamber indicator on the 911 (and the fact that I sold a Ruger Mk4 to help fund the [cheaper] SA911). I also like my PPK, but it's too heavy to carry.

Posts: 419 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Glock 42 in a Recluse pocket holster 60 hours a week for the past 18 months - absolutely the way to go. As an alternative, I have a Kahr P380 is a Recluse holster that I may switch to when wearing jeans with a smaller front pocket.

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Got it. So love that classic PPK!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm shocked at how shootable and reliable my buddy's Ruger LCP is. He carries it in a tiny little "wallet" holster, and, not only does it go bang every time, but we can both hit discrete (3x5" card) targets out to reasonable distances, even with the crappy sights. Plus, they're about $170 bucks on line, so you're not investing a lot to try something new...

Posts: 105 | Registered: February 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread inspired me to take 4 .380s to the range on Saturday; LCP II, Sig p238, Walther PPK/S (circa ‘95, Interarms) and aBersa Thunder .380.
The LCP was crisp and accurate at 7yrds;the p238 was smooth, soft and not as accurate at 7yrds; the ppk/s bite the web of my hand between the thumb and forfinger but accurate at 7yrds and 10yards making a 3 1/2 inch; but the bersa was stellar! Accurate, at both 10 and 7 yards, it felt great in the hand and a very smooth trigger.
At 69, I wear cargo pants, even with coat and tie. Though my son criticizes me for complains of his choice of pants when he was young, I can carry any one of these in my pant pocket.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread inspired me to take 4 .380s to the range on Saturday; LCP II, Sip p238, Walther PPK/S (circa ‘95, Interarms) and aBersa Thunder .380.
The LCP was crisp and accurate at 7yrds;the p238 was smooth, soft and not as accurate at 7yrds; the ppk/s bite the web of my hand between the thumb and forfinger but accurate at 7yrds and 10yards making a 3 1/2 inch; but the bersa was stellar! Accurate, at both 10 and 7 yards, it felt great in the hand and a very smooth trigger.
At 69, I wear cargo pants, even with coat and tie. Though my son criticizes me for complains of his choice of pants when he was young, I can carry any one of these in my pant pocket.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently picked up another G43 (I swear I will never trade it this time) and a G42. After a range session i went back and got another 42. The 43 is a great gun, definitely a realistic pocket carry gun, but the 42 is just so much easier in the pocket. Just a little lighter and a little smaller. It's so easy to shoot, and I know I lose something ballistics wise, but 7 speer gold dots into the bowling pin area have to be enough to get me out of the room.
Btw, I love that PPK. Every time I see a used one of those or a Beretta Cheetah i have to resist buying. They are great looking pistols but not so comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally had a chance to go and handle some .380's this past weekend and felt the Remington, felt a little chunky in my hand and trigger pull is waaaay too long and hard, but handled a Ruger LCP II and was really impressed with how it felt, the fit and finish and the trigger was very nice, a huge improvement over the old one.

Yes, it's not long but it's decently firm and felt good to me and I think with a good pocket holster covering that trigger, it would be just fine and safe in the pocket.

Handled a Glock 42 as well, and recall it being a nice shooter but it's just too big for me to consistently pocket carry. It's as big as my LC9 which is a bit large for a jeans pocket.

I think I'm going with the LCP II

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
In that size range the LCP II or the Kel-Tec P3AT are good small pocket guns,

Sure some folks hate Kel-tec but I carried a P3AT for a year, fits the pocket perfect, not so heavy it pulls your pants/shorts down

The P3AT shot well every single time, not one issue, a buddy liked it better than I did so he bought it off me, still carries it today.

If you want even smaller and lighter Kel-Tec has the P32 at 6 oz dry.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/pistols/p-32

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to give my RM 380 to a friend until I took it back to the range the other day. I have had this since they were first brought out in 2016 and I have yet to have a malfunction with it.

Years ago, the State Police trained us to stage the trigger when shooting our revolvers double action. This experience makes shooting the RM 380 a breeze.

I find it very accurate and otherwise much better than my other 380's (LCP, PPK, PPK/S, 230 and 232, 238, FEG SMC and clones, etc, etc).

Plus, Remington has been discounting the heck out of these guns so the time to buy one is right.

Just my thoughts,

Trooper Joe

Posts: 414 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post