SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking Of Going Back To .380 For Pocket Carry- Winner: Kahr CW380
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking Of Going Back To .380 For Pocket Carry- Winner: Kahr CW380 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Been tempted to try a 365 but still happy with my 238

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

If you want even smaller and lighter Kel-Tec has the P32 at 6 oz dry.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/pistols/p-32

The P-32 is actually what I'm moving up from, I covered that in my OP.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Update:

I narrowed it down finally to the Ruger LCP II and the Kahr CW380

I handled both and really liked both...BUT...just could not get comfortable with the shorter, single-action trigger of that LCP II as a chambered pocket carry pistol. The Kahr has a buttery smooth and longer DAO trigger which ultimately sold it for me, plus real replaceable sights.

My LGS has a CW380 on order now for me.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't care for a 380 and I went for the original Rohrbaugh R9s Stealth in 9 mm. It looks just like the Remington RM380 It's a great pocket pistol. Does it hurt to shoot? Damn right. Is it expensive? Damn right. Is it light weight and easy to conceal? Damn right. Do you want to go to war with it? Hell no. But neither do you want to with a 380.

Posts: 1248 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACP1:
I don't care for a 380 and I went for the original Rohrbaugh R9s Stealth in 9 mm. It looks just like the Remington RM380 It's a great pocket pistol. Does it hurt to shoot? Damn right. Is it expensive? Damn right. Is it light weight and easy to conceal? Damn right. Do you want to go to war with it? Hell no. But neither do you want to with a 380.

If it hurts to shoot, then you aren't practicing much and I'd rather be sending .380 toward a bad guy that I shoot well than 9mm that I don't.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I really liked my Kahr CW380, but I could never get it to run right. If yours runs, it’s a great little .380 imo.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CW380 is a solid choice, that's what is in my front pocket right now.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First I will admit to not reading all the posts. Second to comply with all forum traditions and skip what the poster was originally talking about and go to something else. I rarely pocket carry but when I do the slight size difference to have the Kahr PM9 to me is great. A better and cheaper cartridge. More choices. The Kahr is a very accurate handgun with a nice smooth trigger that is not too light for pocket carry. Lastly very nice to shoot. I originally sold a J Frame and replaced it with the Kahr because practice with the J Frame was not much fun.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Picked up my new CW380 this past Friday and wow is that SOB a tight little thing.

I can barely rack the slide on this pistol, no wonder Kahr advises people to use the slide release only to charge a round.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

...no wonder Kahr advises people to use the slide release only to charge a round.

Same for my CM9. For that Kahr also recommends a 200-rd break in period.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So I finally got a chance to head to the range with the new CW380 to try it out. Brought a box of PPU .380 FMJ and 2 boxes of Aguila .380 FMJ and a box of Hornady Critical Defense FTX .380 with me.

Loaded the magazine (refitted with the MagGuts setup that turns a 6-rounder into a 7-rounder) and got a two-handed grip such as I would use on a G19 or such larger gun.

Nothing but trouble! Eek FTF, FTE, slide not locking back. Slide seemingly jammed and unable to be slingshotted or manually locked back. Called the RSO who managed to lock the slide back for me.

A big disappointing mess. I'm thinking "Shit! I just bought a lemon."

Then I thought "Let me shot this thing one-handed like I would have done with my Kel-Tec P-32!"

Got a good one-handed grip on it and BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG for the next 150 or so rounds. Not a hiccup. Slide locked back on empty each time.

So, I'm only going to train to shoot this gun one-handed as it's just too small for a proper two handed grip and my thumb must have been pressing or riding on the rather large and extended slide release that Kahrs all have.

Next range session will be some left-handed shooting too.

posted Hide Post
Probably too late to chime in but for others who may be interested I'll point out that my wife's S&W Bodyguard 380 has been absolutely reliable with both FMJ's and Hornady and handloaded JHP's. It's given us sub-3" groups at 10 yds from a two-handed Weaver Stance.

Both of us wear size "L" gloves, to give you an idea of hand size, and find that the little Smith is no problem to shoot and shoot well. It does have a long trigger pull, but if you have any sort of background in DA revolver fire, you'll do ok with it.

Neither she nor I could manipulate the thumb safety, nor the laser actuating button under range conditions let alone in the heat of battle, however. She carries it strictly as a DAO arm, in both purse and pocket, similar to a Smith revolver in that regard. For me, it's seen some use as a carry piece when we've been in formal or business attire, where a larger gun was just impracticable.

For a pocket or vest pocket gun, I'd gladly recommend it. HTH's Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
My CW380 is very 380 ammo sensitive. It does not like thicker rimmed 380 brass at all as it tends to jam feeding under the extractor, which means whacking the back of the slide each time to get the slide all the way home each shot, but thinner rimmed brass ammo does not hang on the extractor. Aguila 380 ammo brass has thick rims and my cw380 hates it regardless of what bullet, which is a shame because it's priced decent.

The youtube Gel junky type testing seems to like xtp bullets as one of the most consistent "380" expansion and penetration winners, but I ended up choosing Ruger ARX 380 as my carry choice as it seems to tests well in the Gel junky type tests, and fed really reliably in my CW380 as it has a thin rim, and the bullet profile is basically ball shaped. Seems easier for me to find for me than XTP bullet 380 ammo locally. Also easier to shoot out of the little 380 than the 90+ grain HP bullets.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
My CW380 is very 380 ammo sensitive. It does not like thicker rimmed 380 brass at all as it tends to jam feeding under the extractor, which means whacking the back of the slide each time to get the slide all the way home each shot, but thinner rimmed brass ammo does not hang on the extractor. Aguila 380 ammo brass has thick rims and my cw380 hates it regardless of what bullet, which is a shame because it's priced decent.

I replaced the innards of my stock 6-round magazine with the MagGuts conversion kit that lets you load 7 rounds and read many reviews say they felt the kit actually made the magazine much, much more reliable.

Mine ate up 100 rounds of Aguila and 50 rounds of PPU with no problems at all once I changed my grip.

Member!
posted Hide Post
I have the same magguts follower in both of my carry magazines, and it still does not like any ammo with thicker rims. Not a huge deal as it feeds my carry ammo of choice 100%, but I do wish it would feed the Aguila as I bought a bunch when I first got the pistol that I can't use.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post