SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking Of Going Back To .380 For Pocket Carry- Winner: Kahr CW380
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking Of Going Back To .380 For Pocket Carry- Winner: Kahr CW380 Login/Join 
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I like my Pico also. It takes a few boxes of ammo to break in but the recoil is fairly good for these type of pistols. It fits easy in a pocket.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There used to be lots of posts about light primer strikes with the S&W Bodyguard 380. The trigger pull is lighter while still having a true DAO pull. But maybe they lightened it too much and lost reliability. At least you have double strike capability since it is a true DAO.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I still very like my LCP for pocket carry. I have installed a Galloway stainless steel guide rod, 13# recoil spring, dab of white paint on the front sight, and the pinned on Hogue rubber Handall grip adapter. It is 100% reliable for me now, and I swear it runs like a little sewing machine in my large paws.

I am not in law enforcement, but I still carry it as a BUG quite often, but its main roll for me is when I need the utmost in concealability, or just lounging in my PJ's around the house.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got quite a few .380’s and .32’s.

One gun has pushed them all into the back of the safe. The Remington RM380.

For me, the perfect pocket gun. It’s a very flat, light 7 shot “revolver”. All metal.

I’ve been very impressed with it.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both a Glock 42 ( on the edge of max size for pocket carry but is reliable accurate and can get night sights if you want) and a Ruger lcp II
Which is very impressive for such a small gun. Equally accurate as the Glock but a smaller easier to pocket profile. Fully fixed sights so no easy night sight option ( though I question the need in an across the table defensive gun)
Read a recent research that pretty much said that while 380 can be pretty effective, 32 was a huge drop in performance fight stopping wise.
If i didn’t already have the 42 ( which I won as a prize at a shooting match) the ruger would be my only pocket 380. And while I am a revolver fan and shoot a J frame really well, the ruger has totally taken over as my deep cover gun. Sort of cool it is made at a factory about 15 minutes from the house too. Support the local economy

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Thanks also far! Added the Beretta Pico and Remington RM380 to my list.

So far, the contenders:

1. Kahr CW380
2. S&W Bodyguard 380
3. Beretta Pico
4. Remington RM380

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might take a look at the Micro Desert Eagle. Well made pocket pistol. Smaller than a lot of the other offerings.
a bit heavier but the weight helps to absorb recoil. It has been flawless with anything I've fed it, Lead Flat Tip in the Buffalo Bore, Hollow Points and Ball.

Posts: 92 | Registered: April 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I have the Ruger LCP II, and that is what I suggest to you. Based on it's reliability, and being able to fire shots quickly, due to the trigger pull.

However, I do not pocket carry it, instead, carry in an Kydex IWB. Very hard, and slow to draw from a pocket while sitting.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I compared the S&W Bodyguard and the SIG P238.

Chose the P238, more for the controls, ergo, and the better the sight picture (for me). Buffalo Bore +P or Gold Dot loads.

Carried that in a High Noon holster. Comfortable and as an alternative to a 642.

Added Hogue grips, extra mags and for a bit of fun at the range, attached a laser.

Can you find a local range that you can try before you buy?

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
May I ask? What makes you give up the Keltec P32?

I just was looking at some testing done with .32 vs .380 ammo and the results were pretty startling. Modern .380 ammo has gotten really good while .32 hasn’t changed in 100+ years.

Just my opinion but the Keltec P32 is going to be a softer shooter and more controllable than a 380acp in the same size pistol, allowing you to be more accurate with head-shots. I am pretty sure a head-shot with 32acp will stop someone. Also get the 10-round extended magazine for the Keltec P32 and you have 10+1 rounds in your disposal versus many of the regular 380acp 6+1. Just opinion and observation. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
There used to be lots of posts about light primer strikes with the S&W Bodyguard 380. The trigger pull is lighter while still having a true DAO pull. But maybe they lightened it too much and lost reliability. At least you have double strike capability since it is a true DAO.

I too had problems with light strikes but I had a gunsmith add a heavier trigger spring and that fixed the problem. I haven't had a light strike in over 450 rounds since the spring was changed. I do have about a 12 lb trigger pull though.

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try the Bersa Thunder CC! Pockets well; shoots great with accuracy; and low felt recoil compared to others of its size.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try the. Eras Thunder CC! Pockets well; shoots great with accuracy; and low felt recoil compared to others of its size.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Save your money on purchasing a new pistol and get some good ammo. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sk2159:
Try a Sig P232

This is a very nice gun and fits my large hands perfectly, but it's pretty big to pocket carry and heavy.

I'd look at the S+W bodyguard. I'd also consider .380 the smallest caliber I'd want to defend myself with IF I had a choice.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry a Seecamp .32 all the time and IWB a shield or HK P30SK. Being Fl, not always easy to carry one of the 9mm concealed. My 232 Stainless is nice, too heavy for pocket carry.

I did move to Lehigh .32 ammo, but we instead of .380 decided to try the Bond Arms 9mm. Same size as G42, 5 oz heavier. Waiting on my pocket holster so no carry time yet but around the house comfortable even in jeans pocket. My sig 238 is a good option except I’m not ok with cocked and locked in a pocket. Good luck.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
I used to pocket carry a neat little Colt Mustang Pocketlite in .380. Recently the wife and I were dining at our local Denny’s restaurant late in the evening, around 9:30 or so. I began to notice some of he barrel-chested oil field workers and truck drivers filing in.......some of them literally had bodies nearly as big as barrels. At that point I decided to carry my 938 as my primary self defense weapon and the Pocketlite as my bug. Food for thought.

Posts: 673 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I had my dad's AMT 380 for a while and carried my wife's Taurus 380, then she got a S&W Bodyguard 380...

I grab her's all the time when I need a pocket carry gun.

Plus it's got a safety (I don't use it but it has one)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
OK, after checking out more reviews, I've narrowed this down to the final 2, they are VERY similar in all aspects; weight, fire controls, size and capacity:

1. S&W M&P Bodyguard 380

2. Remington RM380

Would anyone out there have by any chance owned or at least tried both of these?

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
OK, after checking out more reviews, I've narrowed this down to the final 2, they are VERY similar in all aspects; weight, fire controls, size and capacity:

1. S&W M&P Bodyguard 380

2. Remington RM380

Would anyone out there have by any chance owned or at least tried both of these?

I've owned them both and really consider them about dead even. The BG380 is slightly lighter but there's not enough difference to notice. Magazines are about the same price. Trigger pull on both is long but acceptable to me as a long-time DAO shooter. I didn't own them at the same time so there was never a direct comparison, but I do think the RM380 trigger was a little smoother. I had no issues with hollow point or FMJ ammo with either of them but didn't put more than 200 rounds through. You'll probably find more Bodyguard 380 holsters on the market, but for these types of guns, most pocket holsters aren't custom molded and fit many guns (i. e. Desantis Nemesis, Sticky, Remora, etc). If I had to pick one of these two, I'd go with the S&W simply because of their warranty service, but, again, I had no problem with either gun.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post