SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Should I or shouldn't I ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I or shouldn't I ? Login/Join 
posted
Hi guys, I been gone for awhile and have been training/playing with other things so my apologies for just showing up with a question right out of the gate.

I presently have two P220's, both of them the pre external extractor models but of the newer internal design.

The first is a nitron Carry that I had sent in to the Sig custom shop way back when for their trigger/action job. The work was superb and it is one of my main carry sidearms.

The second is a 5 inch barrel Match, DA/SA, reverse two tone, alloy frame, fixed night sights. When I first purchased it new, back when, I envisioned having some work done on it but other things got in the way. The work that I had planned on getting done by the Sig custom shop was; having the Nitron finish applied to the slide and a trigger/action job. My question involves this gun. Given that this is a internal extractor model should I invest the amount of money that it would take for the planned work done on it ?

I've never experienced any problems with alot of rounds through the Carry. And have not had any problems with the limited amount of rounds through the Match.

But still ????

Thanks, Jim

Semper Fi

Posts: 175 | Location: arizona | Registered: April 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking that about all you'll need would be a trigger reset kit, fat guide rod, checkered aluminum grips, and a p-shim. A Gray Guns trigger slid in for good measure if it has the 10mm wide trigger.

Add each piece as your budget and time allows.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I had the slide nitroned on a fixed-sight Match when I sent it in for the 5,000 round service. The Nitron wasn't perfect, but I like it just fine and I don't recall it being terribly expensive at all. I can't speak to SIG's action work because I've never tried it.

I have tried Gray Guns' Superblack and action work on another (Match slide mated to an old ST frame) and don't regret a penny I've spent on it. Gray Guns also has parts kits that you can install yourself.

If the investment you're talking about means getting the work done by SIG, then I'd be willing to gamble on an investment that I don't think would cost more than a few hundred dollars. I don't know what Gray Guns' prices are like these days (or whether you'd opt for the install-it-yourself parts), but you will definitely get your money's worth if you go that route. I would certainly count on either SIG or Gray Guns to back their work.

FWIW, I've shot a few Match pistols from that time period (I'm kind of a freak for the fixed-sight versions) for as much as a thousand rounds over three days with no cleaning (Winchester White Box ammo in heat, humidity and blowing dust/sand, no less, and no apparent need to add lube, FWIW). I have had no problems with extraction, no problems with firing, and only seem to have problems with feeding when I use 10-round mags in dirty pistols (i.e., 650 or more rounds have been put through the pistol without cleaning the breach face and extractor hook). Even where I've had problems with 10-rounders and dirty pistols, I've been able to simply replace the 10-rounder with loaded 8-rounders and keep on firing without a hitch and without having to do anything other than reload, cycle the slide into battery, and pull the trigger. IMHO the internal extractor on the 220 Match is an utter and complete non-issue.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As you can tell from my original post, my main concern is the internal extractor versus the external extractor models. Am I over thinking and making too much of this. I am really thinking of proceeding on with getting this work done on my Match.

Jim

Semper Fi

Posts: 175 | Location: arizona | Registered: April 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
Scout1, I think it's a matter of what you want and would enjoy.

If finances are an issue, forget it. If not, then have some fun and proceed. As a side note, I wouldn't dress up a firearm I didn't plan to use.

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'd like to throw out an old question, just to see if it helps. Does anyone here remember the internal extractor being a problem on any service-size or larger 220s? I could swear remembering that the problem only seemed to happen with the Compacts.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I'd like to throw out an old question, just to see if it helps. Does anyone here remember the internal extractor being a problem on any service-size or larger 220s? I could swear remembering that the problem only seemed to happen with the Compacts.

If memory serves me right, I believe that I first heard about it on the P220ST first. Then supposedly that was the reason for the redesign to the external extractor.

Semper Fi