SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any Security Six fans???
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Security Six fans??? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I owned and sold 4 Security Six revolvers and one Speed Six between 1979 and 1985. I wish I'd kept at least one but I got interested in the 1911 platform. Unfortunately I couldn't fund my new interests without selling guns I already had. One of these days, I hope to find a blued 4" bull barrel Security Six in great shape.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I've tried talking my brother into selling me his 9mm Speed Six, but he's too smart for that. Maybe if I'd been nicer to him when we were growing up...

I've passed on a couple of Security Sixes over the past year. The temptation was there but I kinda like where I am with my GP100s. They're brawny and heavy certainly, but since I've been shooting and carrying bear loads with it, the added beef seems very appropriate given the power of those rounds.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always been a fan, I just never had one. I have friends that have Security Six, Speed Six and Service Six.

I have shot them and always enjoyed them. I like that their size. They are about perfect.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kick myself now I left a Speed Six 2.5 inch stainless go mint cond for 325 not long ago.

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ruger Security Sixes are some of my favorite revolvers. I have a 6" stainless, a 2 3/4" Police Service Six and a few years back I picked up a 6" Blued in very good condition. I often wished I had bought a 4". I looked for a GA32 for a long time and never found one.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I am a 2 3/4 Speed Six fan. When I was a boy, everyone wanted a Smith 66, but no one wanted to pay 66 kind of money. So, we bought the Speed Six instead. In the mid 80's, you could pick up a Speed Six in just about any gun store used for between $85 (best price I bought one for) and $150.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 2 3/4 stainless Security Six and 2 3/4 stainless Speed Six from the same local seller a few years back. They look brand new. I may have over paid slightly for them, but the time to buy them is when you see them. They both look brand new. I picked up a 9mm 2 3/4 inch stainless Security Six this year for what I consider a steal. I still haven't had the opportunity to shoot that one yet.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just traded a 4 inch Security Six and a Mossberg shotgun for a 1988 226. Lost some money on the trade, but so what. It was my money. I like the Security Six, but like the Service Six better. I kept my 2 3/4 inch Police Service Six and will forever. It is the perfect revolver. Concealable, durable and quite powerful.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd have to change the grip but I actually like the original ones.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vero8,

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original grips are absolutely the Cat's ass. I really like them. My Service Six has them and they will never be changed.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Speed Six my father purchased new in the early 80's. He passed it down to me a couple years ago. I love shooting it. The Tyler T Grips help, too.

[/URL][/IMG]

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only bad things about the Six Series is that the parts are getting harder and harder to come buy. Ruger will no longer work on them.
My Police S6 the hammer wore out. That gun had the best trigger of any of my guns but it finally gave up the race. I couldn't trust it if it would stay cocked or slip off. After cocking it I could watch the hammer slip a 1/8" or more.
Numrich has/had new hammers and mics parts but the hammers do have to be fitted.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deutsche_Dog
posted Hide Post

Here's my only Security Six with it's big brother the Redhawk. Two of my favorite revolvers.

Posts: 3 | Registered: December 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I just happened to be reminiscing about the Security Six the last day or two, and I still regret not picking up a cherry mint Security Six 4-in stainless for a reasonable price I saw several years ago. You know when you could kick yourself for not jumping when your conscious was asking you how high ? Here is the best brief article I've seen about the model:

https://www.shootingillustrate...curity-six-revolver/

I would hazard to say I like it better than a top classic Smith or Python. It's a gun you just want to plain carry and shoot period, it's just that good. Come to think of it, I should start thinking about fixing that mistake I made those years ago. My good buddy has one, and he already told me he wouldn't part with it for any price.

I still don't understand, though, why Ruger replaced it with the GP100. If I had it to do all over again, I think I should have bought the Security Six instead of the GP100.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
What ever you do don't ever lose the front sight. I own one and was looking for a front sight that would give me better visibility.
I could not even find a standard factory or aftermarket one let alone one that would give me better visibility.
Other than that I love mine. I did buy a GP100 so I could a better front sight.
I agree, My brother in law had one that my LGS did a trigger job for and was also missing the front sight, good thing he had a large parts bin because finding one one is tough. Otherwise it's a good shooting pistol

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Q83
posted Hide Post

NRA LIFE MEMBER
ISRA LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 426 | Location: Illinois | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have a blue 4 inch and a stainless 6 inch. They are both fine revolvers.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to pick a mint one up in stainless a few years back . I just picked up a fact black rubber grips with the Ruger emblems on then from a gun show junk box for 5.00 bucks . I have a set of them on my gun , but for 5 I grabbed them .

Posts: 936 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 00464b
posted Hide Post
I had one back in the 70's. One of those I wish I still had.

Posts: 658 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: July 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eclayton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I still don't understand, though, why Ruger replaced it with the GP100. If I had it to do all over again, I think I should have bought the Security Six instead of the GP100.

I recall reading a quote from Bill Ruger claiming that by the end of Six series production, he was losing money on every revolver he sold. The Six series was designed to compete against Colt and S&W for the police market at a lower price point and be profitable due to cheaper manufacturing costs. By the mid 80s it seems that advantage was eroding and the GP-100 was Ruger’s bid to regain its profit margin through simplifications to the manufacturing process and design.

I have a Speed Six, a Security Six, and a GP-100. I like the balance and feel of the Six series better, just as I’ve always preferred S&W K-frames over L-frames. But aside from my personal taste in ergonomics, I have to say that the GP-100 is in every objective sense equal or superior to the Six series. I wish Ruger could have kept both in production.

Posts: 312 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post