SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I Shot My Redhawk Until it Became Unreliable
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Shot My Redhawk Until it Became Unreliable Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
So, it can be done. I shot my Redhawk .44 mag for a good long time, and as dirty as it got, it always functioned, loaded and cleared without issue.

Two weekends ago, it was cold for central Florida; mid 50s or so. Even though the gun is relatively dry, without excessive oil, the cylinder rotation was very stiff. So stiff, in fact, that I assisted the rotation with my free hand while cocking the hammer. Double action was equally bad with a ridiculously hard trigger pull.

Once back at the house, I gave it a full disassembly and cleaning. The issue was carbon buildup on the pinion or axle on which the cylinder rotates. Once that was clean, the gun was happy again.

The hardest carbon to remove is the stuff that has accumulated in the cylinder lightening cuts. I guess it is blasted on at high temperature and velocity and it really LIKES it there. Hoppe's is not doing it with the last little bits. I'm going to pick up and try some Never Dull as I have seen it recommended for stubborn powder and lead marks.

Other than that, now that the cleaning is complete, it's back to being good to go.

Time to go shoot more .44!

Gratuitous picture:

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Smith & Wesson has a "gas ring" to deflect as much of the gap blast fouling away from the cylinder arbor as possible. Of course most of their gun designs can be traced back to 1896.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Actually surprised that carbon was able to build up enough to affect the function like that. Must have been 100s or 1000s or rounds right?

Redhawks are some of the classiest yet rugged looking pistols ever IMHO by the way. Cool

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Those cuts on the cylinder are called flutes. A bronze bore brush and solvent will do a pretty good job removing the burned powder residue. A S&W with a hard cocking cituation can somewhat eat itself as its hand is rather sharp and it will dig into the cylinders ratchet. Ruger is a much bolder design. I've had several of their DA and SA revolvers.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Good to know! I LOVE shooting mine. In fact most people at the range want to shoot it when I bring it. Even have some buddies wives that insist on shooting it every group range trip. My .44Mag and my .308 are a favorite of the ladies Smile

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem last week with my SP101, and I resolved it in the same way you did...by breaking it down and cleaning the cylinder arbor. It runs like new now. As for getting the carbon off of the cylinder and other parts of the gun, I found that lead removal wipes work really well. I've been told they can damage blueing, but on my stainless guns they work great!

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually surprised that carbon was able to build up enough to affect the function like that. Must have been 100s or 1000s or rounds right?

Probably 300-500 commercial reloads. I didn't shoot all of them; as cruiser68 notes, EVERYONE wants to shoot a .44 when you bring one to the range.

quote:
I had a similar problem last week with my SP101, and I resolved it in the same way you did...by breaking it down and cleaning the cylinder arbor. It runs like new now. As for getting the carbon off of the cylinder and other parts of the gun, I found that lead removal wipes work really well. I've been told they can damage blueing, but on my stainless guns they work great!

I want to try the lead wipes but I haven't found any yet in local shops. I have also read that they will damage blued guns, but are great for stainless, especially removing the flash rings from the cylinder face. I've done pretty well with a bronze brush and Hoppe's, but a little better polish would be nice.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those cuts on the cylinder are called flutes.

Thank you. Good to know.

Thanks also to those who pointed out that the cylinder shaft is technically called the arbor.

I appreciate the additional education. I'm familiar with "arbor" for the shaft diameter of tools, but didn't know it applied to revolvers.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
for flute cleaning I've come to like a little Ballistol & 0000 steel wool lightly applied....
There's other ways/fluids/methods, but this is what I like on stainless.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Will Kroil do the trick? I have some pretty nasty carbon on the front of the cylinder of my Alaskan.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yes, Kroil does a great job melting carbon. It's what we were taught to use in our AR armorer's class. With a mild scrubby pad if safe for the surface.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Artie, that's a classic sign of unburnt powder flakes, and/or lead slivers, under the ejector star. I bet you got that out of there without realizing it. That's the only thing that have every caused my revos to get sticky, or downright refuse to rotate.

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Bring that bad boy if we ever have another Florida shoot!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lead cloth will be the best five bucks you ever spent. It'll take the stuff right off the cylinder and the flutes.

The cylinder face will take slightly more work.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do love 44 Magnum. So much so I recently added a Winchester 1892 rifle in the caliber.

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 453030:
I do love 44 Magnum. So much so I recently added a Winchester 1892 rifle in the caliber.

I've been a fan for decades. I've owned a number of Ruger Super Blackhawks, S&W M29's and 1 Dan Wesson. I'm down to a M29 and a Winchester 94 trapper that I've owned since the mid 70's. I've reloaded thousands of rounds, especially when I was shooting Silhouette in the late 70's and early 80's. It's my overall favorite caliber for general shooting for fun.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I've been a fan for decades. I've owned a number of Ruger Super Blackhawks, S&W M29's and 1 Dan Wesson. I'm down to a M29 and a Winchester 94 trapper that I've owned since the mid 70's. I've reloaded thousands of rounds, especially when I was shooting Silhouette in the late 70's and early 80's. It's my overall favorite caliber for general shooting for fun.
Jim

That is great. I have 3 Smith- 29-5 Classic (5" full lug), 629-4 RSR and a more recent 629PC. I love them all. Can't wait to get the rifle out.

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Never Dull is the thing!

Took the last deposits off the flutes slicker than snot, and even cleaned the outside of the forcing cone and inside of the top strap to silver.

Great stuff for stainless revolvers.